U2 in your church?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
There was a book put out recently re working u2 into sermons, has anyone had any at church recently? I haven't yet, though I did have 2 u2 pop-ups at the service tonight. They have started running a sort of visual loop/powerpoint slideshow during worship showing lots of random things, tonight there was briefly a pic of the Trabant in the One video with the man painted on the top of the car. Also several scenes with Bono in the airport from the Beautiful Day video :up:

I attended a church here in Dallas a couple of times that played U2 music, it was SO awesome to hear it in a "religious" venue! (even if their concerts take on a religious vibe anyway)

Oh! Funny you should bring this up....my campus pastor gave the sermon at our choir run-out to a church on Sunday of last week. It was about contentment, and she made mention of the song "I Still Haven't FOund What I'm Looking For". and the last words of the sermon were "...and then i will have found what i'm looking for."
how cool is that!
plus there was a video on life in the Spirit at a Campus Crusade meeting and the background music was "Bad". dont know why that music was selected. but now when i hear that song i usu. think of that video, esp. the part with the words "I'm wide awake, im not sleeping" and at that point in the video they show Jesus on the cross...and later just resurrected. Maybe i'll see if i can get my hands on that video. It was awesome...and not just b/c of the U2!

bonosloveslave said:
though I did have 2 u2 pop-ups at the service tonight. They have started running a sort of visual loop/powerpoint slideshow during worship showing lots of random things, tonight there was briefly a pic of the Trabant in the One video with the man painted on the top of the car. Also several scenes with Bono in the airport from the Beautiful Day video :up:
That is awesome Beth...I've run PowerPoint presentations before at my church, but I don't think I'd be bold enough to put in U2 visuals into it, especially Trabants.:wink:

I go to Mclean Bible (Christian) Church. And, a month ago the praise band played "Walk On." I believe the service message was about being a christian, and your place in the spiritual walk. I'm always happy to catch a U2 song wherever I go, and it was extra special to hear it in church. Also, I heard Vertigo at the Baltimore Orioles game a few weeks ago. I can't find the rock on! smiley face... (otherwise inserted smiley face)

Last edited:
When I was Chaplin of my college band, I used 40 in a sermon.

As for my church, Bono has been quoted a few times.

My Church "Christian" the minister did a sermon on Beautiful Day and on another ocassion the coir sang still havent found what im looking for and One..there are a lot of U2 fans in my church..One of the minister was a the Pop mart concert and has all U2 CD's:wink:

Welll....I'm being mentored to do some preaching/teaching. I am speaking for the first time this weekend and my verse if Proverbs 31:8-9 and yes, I've got mention of Bono and a quote of his in there. Hehe, like I'm not teased enough for my U2 obession at church already---if the shoe fits... :p

ID BREAK BREAD AND WINE IF THERE WAS A CHURCH I COULD RECIEVE IN, CAUSE I NEED IT NOW.

id love to hear u2 at church. i need to start going to church more but i cant find one that id like to go to. alot of the ones that i have been to are all money oriented and very judgemental. i cant stand that.

RickFly said:
ID BREAK BREAD AND WINE IF THERE WAS A CHURCH I COULD RECIEVE IN, CAUSE I NEED IT NOW.

id love to hear u2 at church. i need to start going to church more but i cant find one that id like to go to. alot of the ones that i have been to are all money oriented and very judgemental. i cant stand that.

Do you prefer the informal kinda thing too?

Where do you live?

I went to a Five Iron Frenzy concert, FIF is a Christian ska band that recently disbanded to make a difference in the world, and reach out to those who haven't heard of God's love. Anyways, before they took the stage between opening acts, "Even Better Than The Real Thing" was playing. Kind of odd, that song in particular being played in a church, especially since it has a lyric like "Though my heart is where it's always been, and my head is somewhere in between." I've always thought of it as a reference to oral sex.

I could see Bono going to a non-denominational church like mine, because it's very careful about not being a "religious" church, but rather, one that preaches about a relationship with Jesus. From Bono's perspective, religion is reasonable for a Christian to doubt, but God is not. I believe the same basic principle. If you look through scripture, Jesus didn't necesariy preach about religion, but what perfection is in the eyes of the Lord.

Macfistowannabe said:
"Though my heart is where it's always been, and my head is somewhere in between." I've always thought of it as a reference to oral sex.

You must think my location in my avatar makes me real pervy then...I never thought of that lyric in that way....:|

macfistowannabe:
Non-denominational as in, not catholic, anglican, lutheran, pentecostal, assembly of god, charismatic, etc, etc, etc...kidding, kidding, jsut stirring.

I don't know of too many mainstream churches that talk about a "relationship with Jesus".

Ah, Five Iron Frenzy, nothing like a good ska band that doesn't take itself seriously.

Hey, u heard of Shawn Mcdonald??

Shaizari said:
macfistowannabe:
Non-denominational as in, not catholic, anglican, lutheran, pentecostal, assembly of god, charismatic, etc, etc, etc...kidding, kidding, jsut stirring.

I don't know of too many mainstream churches that talk about a "relationship with Jesus".

Well, a lot of the denominational churches seemed to be about religion instead, preaching routine and such. I believe that a relationship with Jesus is more important than following a forced routine. As scripture suggests, Jesus would rather that we made peace with our brother before giving him an offering, because he wants us to follow him with our hearts. This is what I personally believe too, and I interpret that in a way that suggests it's my responsibility to ask God for forgiveness before I attend a church sermon. I used to attend a Lutheran church, and that's cool if it works for people. Different denominations fit different people.

I've had a few friends who don't see any meaning of getting up to go to church if they have no desire to. So rather than finding a different church, they just thumbed their nose at Christianity altogether. It's really kind of sad.

Sorry, I haven't heard of Shawn Mcdonald. What is he, a musician, pastor..?

Starsgoblue, I don't think/never thought you were any kind of perv for your location, I understand lyrics are interpreted differently. I do sort of think that Bono's lyrics have a lot of testosterone in them at times, but I love the band, and it doesn't make me any less of a fan.

I attend the comtemporary service at my Methodist church & although I love it, I don't expect to hear the Praise Band or the paster play/quote U2 any time soon! :lol:

There IS a local church here, Christian Advent I think, where the pastor is at least familiar w/U2 & Bono. Back in 2001 when Elevation came out, their chuch sign read for several weeks "It's a Beautiful Day, Don't Let It Get Away. - Bono" :yes: :up:

It was the coolest/funniest thing to me. I kept trying to remember my camera (I passed the church every day on my way to work!), but by the time I did, they'd changed the sign. I wanted that picture sooo bad!

I'd really love to hear a sermon based on U2's work, if just to get the perspective of someone with theological training.

As far as a permanant church, I can pretty much say I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Sure, I agree with my church's doctorine, but I never really knew any of the people that go there from school, work, wherever, and I don't really feel at home in a way. Being that the church is a good 40 minute drive away from home, I can't really socialize with anyone there very often. There's a lot of people who attend that church, but I'm college-aged, and there's probably only a dozen others who are a few years within my age group.

I visited a presbyterian church I liked - a PCA church - and their pastor is a U2 fan. I think he's a great guy and all, but he wouldn't bother seeing The Passion of The Christ for whatever reason. That movie got me into reading about the crucifixion, when before it, I rarely bothered to open up my bible.

Hey, Macfistowannabe, why don't u attend my church in perth, western australia? Since you can't be there personally, our church has a website to download our weekly messages from our pastor? :D

Our church is like yours, relationship, not religion and the pastor is susceptible to my U2 rantings :D

http://www.geocities.com/weirdguynextdoor/CD6905_3.MP3

here's a little snippet of shawn mcdonald's stuff. The song is called gravity, he use to be a drug addict, a s drug seller, a jailbird and almost everything under the sun. His transformation is just nothing short of amazing.

I'd love to attend your church, I'm looking for a permanent one. Only problem I have with Australia is the snakes. :scream: I'm such a wimp when it comes to those.

Yeah Shawn McDonald sounds pretty cool from what I heard in that little snippet. Very interesting story. I hear GeoCities is also based in Australia if I'm not mistaken.

I have used "For the First Time" (I can't remember if that's its name, but it's the last song, I believe, on "best of '90-'00) for confirmation classes that I teach. I place it alongside of the Apostles' Creed and Luther's explanation of the creed in the Small catechism. Works great (I think each of those verses in the U2 song deal with the persons of the Trinity).

Shaizari said:
go to www.c4.net.au

don't worry about snakes, they live in mainly in the interior, the only thing to fear are bad drivers in Perth. :D
I signed up for the sermons. This could work good for me. To be honest, it's been a long time since I attended church. I have my weekends tied up with work, so hopefully this can fill in for me. I do love my pastors and all, but I probably won't be able to attend my own church services until school is finally out. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom