U2 & Petra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
This dates me quite a bit, but these were my favorite 2 bands when I was in junior high (I'd not yet heard the Ramones or the Clash, or any cool punk). The post about using U2 songs for "praise" made me wonder if there were any other Petra fans out there. Anyone remember Greg X Volz? There's a vocalist for ya!

bwahaha. Oh wow. Memory flash.
biggrin.gif
Petra was my first foray into "rock" music and I thought I was pretty durn cool for it. lol. But Greg Volz sucked!!! John Schlitt all the way baby.
tongue.gif

hi bonofnatic, I remember Petra but I don't remember one song of theirs. My sister and I got into them to learn the drumming techniques, actually, cos we wanted to play drums in church services.

foray

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
But Greg Volz sucked!!!

Can someone say ouch...Sis, I thought Greg Volz had a decent voice. Petra was the first 'Christian' concert I attended back in 1983, and at that time, they were on their 10th Anniversary tour, so that shows you how long they have been around, and how old I am as well.
tongue.gif

Chris

lol, Chris. Hey, at least I'm honest.
wink.gif
Petra was my first concert experience too...errm...way back when I was 16...1995 the "No Doubt" tour.
biggrin.gif
But I still have never ever liked their early work with Volz. His voice just didn't do it for me. Ah well. btw, are they still together?

They are still together, and last year released the album entitled "Revival". I believe next year they will celebrate 30 years as a band, with various changes from their original lineup. However, on this new album, I heard their original guitarist, Bob Hartman, returned. John Schlitt, on vocals, and Louie Weaver on drums round out this new album. I learned also that Rick Cua, of The Outlaws fame, plays bass on the new album as well.

Chris

Shut up B.
Greg Volz rocked!!! (replace suck with rock)

Praise ye the Lord, Praise ye the Lord, Praise ye the Lord,

FOREVERRRRRRRRRR (you have to know the song, but I'm pretty sure he hits a high C right there).

Mark

Uhhhh, yeah, uhhh....you're like the FIRST persons I've ever heard to dog Greg X Vocals! And you like that wicked-witch-of-the west Schlitt sound?? yeesh

Well, in fairness to Schlitt, he sounded great with Head East, and he's a great frontman. I don't like his voice though.

My cousin's hoping to get Greg X Volz at his church. He's doing praise & worship type material now & touring churches.

What does this have to do with U2? I dunno.

I am in the Greg X camp, also! I think beat The System, Not Of This World and More Power To Ya absolutely rocked!! I like John also, but not as much as Greg.

"Praise Ye the Lord, all ye nations
The Lord is reigning, ye people rejoice!
The Word of the Lord is a two edged sword
And He's placed it in our hands!!"

I remember my father playing Petra when I was younger, but just as an above poster...I don't remember any songs. Ooops
smile.gif

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Originally posted by bonofnattic:
Uhhhh, yeah, uhhh....you're like the FIRST persons I've ever heard to dog Greg X Vocals! And you like that wicked-witch-of-the west Schlitt sound?? yeesh

I think it's a generational thing. When I was 13 and just beginning to climb out from under my shell of "There is no such thing as Christian rock because rock is of the devil" (an idea pounded into my head by some pretty conservative teachers), John Schlitt's vocals seemed very cool and rebellious and ROCK. lol. I dunno. That's how it felt to me as a teen. Whereas Greg Volz sounded too mellow and boring. I just didn't dig it. Old Petra never worked for me. But songs like "Dance" seemed edgey and hip. lol. Errr...well they seemed that way at the time anyways. *ahem*
biggrin.gif

Oh, the one Petra song I do like from the Volz years was the colour song. "Red is the colour of the blood that flowed, down the face of someone who loved us so..."
smile.gif

*feels the need to go dig out Unseen Power and Beyond Belief now*
tongue.gif

Talk about memory lane!

I can see that sulawesigirl (am I spellin' that right?). He does have a more "raw" sound, and actually I do like John Schlitt as well....he & Volz both have that ultra-positive "vibe" goin' that is essential for Petra.

And I don't think I'm THAT much older than you!?!? It can't be entirely generational, right?

Anyway, I'm holding out for a mini-reunion, perhaps a duet between John Schlitt & Greg V. on a petra song. That'd be kewl.

I'm having a great time reading this thread! I remember my older brother constantly lamenting the loss of Greg X Volz (I can't say that guy's name without the "X") and the inadequacy of John Schlitt as a replacement.

Sula- my first "rock" concert was Petra as well (for some reason, I'm terribly embarassed to admit that), during the "On Fire" tour, in 1988. Haha!

Interesting fact, I can remember my older brother sneaking a Petra tape --Never Say Die, I think-- into the house when I was about 7 years old. We listened to it in his room with the door close and his boom box turned way down, afraid my dad would hear the evil rock music that posing as christian music. It's funny, I thought adults were supposed to get crustier, more conservative, more narrow-minded when they got older. Fortunately, the opposite was true for my dad.

Back
Top Bottom