Tongues of angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrotflowers

The Fly
I remember listening to this song for the first time, that line 'I have spoke with the tongue of angels... but I still haven't found what I'm looking for' just broke my heart. I have a great love and respect for Bono and I just wish he could see the great power he has attained. Foe those of you who do not understand, read Acts chapter 2. That is when 'speaking in tongues' first took place. It is an amazing thing which is still happening today.

Speaking in the 'tongue of angels' is a sign that you have recieved the holy spirit, a bit of god has entered you. The bible states that you should 'pray in the spirit (the unknown tongue) to build up your most holy faith. I have spoke with the tongue of angels, I was 10 years old and it is an experience I will never forget. I still speak in tongues to this day (I'm 22).

I found what I was looking for. It builds me up. It lets me see everything through spiritual eyes. I have prayed with schizoprhenics and seen them healed. I have seen a man with aids in PNG get completely healed. I even saw the before and after test results. One stated the man was HIV positive, the other was clear. I have prayed over people who have never spoken before and seen them burst out in the tongue of angels.

God sent this sign of his spirit for us to use. He calls it the 'comforter'. It comforts us, guides us. The bible states that when we recieve his spirit we are to 'preach the word to every creature'.

Bono has an amazing opportunity to preach this amazing miracle to the world but he fails to understand the true power of what he recieved all those years ago. He could pray over African children in the spirit and see them healed of their afflictions right before his eyes.

Bono knows his bible. He knows that it speaks of the end of the world. About the 'signs of the end times'. Wars and rumours of wars, increase in knowledge, famines and pestilences, earthquakes in diverse places. All these things are signs that jesus is returning. The great war is getting closer and closer and Bno has a chance to save millions of people. To show them the true way of the gospel. The world will perish no matter how hard we try to save it. Bono can save souls. Life on earth is fleeting. It is the afterlife that Bono should be thinking about.

You may think I'm crazy but speaking in tongues does happen today (you can ask Bono if you don't believe me). I know Bono knows about the end of the world and I know he thinks about it. If I could say one thing to Bono it would be 'use the unknown tongue that god gave you, let it guide you on a path to true spiritual enlightenment, then, and only then can you truly save the souls of the world, you can give people the key to their salvation. Disease and famine will only end when the lord returns. I know you've read the scriptures Bono. You have been chosen by god, he has filled you with his spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues, use it and save the world from the destruction that will surely come'.

Last edited:
JCOSTER said:
Thats a heavy load to place on Bono.

I have read alot about him and cant remember if he ever said he spoke in tongues or not.

Me neither. I do believe I read somewhere that there was a book that advocated it that Bono mentioned loving. I can't remember the title right now. :mad: Although one can't tell, by looking at someone (obviously) I have a sneaking suspicion he does simply because of some more roundabout ways he's mentioned the Spirit, etc. I don't care to speculate though. It's between him and God as it is with all of us. All I know, is that he is following God's plan for his life, and He is definitely pleased with him.

Currently Listening: "One More Chance"/Madonna

JCOSTER said:
I applaud you...your comment is a great one and you might just be correct I am going to search in some books I have and see what I can find.

Thanks!! I swear, I read that somewhere awhile back and it's driving me :coocoo: that I can't find it or remember the title of the book Bono supposedly mentioned. I'm going to PM you in sec JC. fyi.:hug:

Currently Listening: "Bennie And The Jets"/Elton John

I have often wondered if Bono speaks/sings in tongues.
I don't know if we should assume that because he says it in a song he wrote that it means does indeed have this gift.
He loves to use imagery and play with our minds a bit sometimes for dramatic effect, but I have never heard him say in an interview (doesn't mean he hasn't said it) so I am very curious.
In fact if I ever meet him and had a chance to have a chat ( ya right) I would love to ask him about some of his most memorable "supernatural" experiences while meditating or praying. I am positive he has some great stories to tell. But that is highly personal, and if he told me to bugg off I would !! :)
My mother is very spiritual person who does indeed have this gift, and I have introduced her to Bono and U2, she is 72, and the woman, bless her heart calls Bono an Apostle of Christ. :)
I AGREE!!

Jeannieco said:
I don't know if we should assume that because he says it in a song he wrote that it means does indeed have this gift.
He loves to use imagery and play with our minds a bit sometimes for dramatic effect, but I have never heard him say in an interview (doesn't mean he hasn't said it) so I am very curious.
In fact if I ever meet him and had a chance to have a chat ( ya right) I would love to ask him about some of his most memorable "supernatural" experiences while meditating or praying. I am positive he has some great stories to tell. But that is highly personal, and if he told me to bugg off I would !! :)
My mother is very spiritual person who does indeed have this gift, and I have introduced her to Bono and U2, she is 72, and the woman, bless her heart calls Bono an Apostle of Christ. :)
I AGREE!!

That is the sweetest story! My grandma who is 75, hates any "secular" music, but I told her about the faith of all the members of U2 and the beautiful Scriptural messages in nearly all their songs, and she actually loves U2! We listen to them all the time when I'm home from college if I happen to be visiting her that week-end. I believe her fav. song is "One Tree Hill" or "Streets". Btw, Jeanie, there's a member her named u2jesusgirl, who actually has met all the members of U2 many times. She's a wonderful woman of God! Anyway, she said she'd been praying for a long time to be able to meet w/Bono and have a longer more in-depth conversation with him, and she mentioned to me that it happened recently in L.A.. I'm assuming she talked to him about his faith because her faith is the most important part of hers. I didn't have a chance to ask her that. Perhaps, you could PM her.

Jeannieco said:
I AGREE!!

As far as I am concerned if you listen to the album October and realize that those songs were written on the mike so to speak you can easily see that Bono is singing in tongues. Steve Lillywhite talked about how torturous those sessions were for Bono. U2 descriptions of the song writing process for them is to me the description of surrendering themselves to be moved by the spirit.

To the person who started this thread you are of course entitled to your opinion but saying that he could solve all Africa's problems by laying on hands is in fact belittling the fantastic things he has accomplished. While I don't totally dismiss faith healing as possible I don't think it functions on command as you made it sound. If it did then why haven't all the self proclaimed faith healers out there already handled this. God's will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven. When Bono says he still hasn't found what he's looking for he is talking about the heaven on earth that God wishes US to be responsible. As he has said repeatedly in interviews "None of that pie in the sky when you die stuff, Heaven on earth, we need some of that right now."

Dana

rihannsu said:

As far as I am concerned if you listen to the album October and realize that those songs were written on the mike so to speak you can easily see that Bono is singing in tongues. Steve Lillywhite talked about how torturous those sessions were for Bono. U2 descriptions of the song writing process for them is to me the description of surrendering themselves to be moved by the spirit.

To the person who started this thread you are of course entitled to your opinion but saying that he could solve all Africa's problems by laying on hands is in fact belittling the fantastic things he has accomplished. While I don't totally dismiss faith healing as possible I don't think it functions on command as you made it sound. If it did then why haven't all the self proclaimed faith healers out there already handled this. God's will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven. When Bono says he still hasn't found what he's looking for he is talking about the heaven on earth that God wishes US to be responsible. As he has said repeatedly in interviews "None of that pie in the sky when you die stuff, Heaven on earth, we need some of that right now."

Dana

Amen!! That was brilliant and well-thought out! I suppose I don't have to assume that you are a Believer?:wink:

U2isthebest said:

That is the sweetest story! My grandma who is 75, hates any "secular" music, but I told her about the faith of all the members of U2 and the beautiful Scriptural messages in nearly all their songs, and she actually loves U2! We listen to them all the time when I'm home from college if I happen to be visiting her that week-end. I believe her fav. song is "One Tree Hill" or "Streets". Btw, Jeanie, there's a member her named u2jesusgirl, who actually has met all the members of U2 many times. She's a wonderful woman of God! Anyway, she said she'd been praying for a long time to be able to meet w/Bono and have a longer more in-depth conversation with him, and she mentioned to me that it happened recently in L.A.. I'm assuming she talked to him about his faith because her faith is the most important part of hers. I didn't have a chance to ask her that. Perhaps, you could PM her.

Hey thanks... you seem really sweet! That's so wonderful you can share with your Grandma, isn't it fun? I always have to explain what the songs mean to my parents and they never understand the words so ... I interpret. I have shown them both part of Vertigo and my Mom cried when I showed her BAD from Boston and I explained what the song was about. She said she felt like was he trying to heal the audience! I got that feeling too the first time I saw that... weeping all over the place...
Thanks for the tip, do you think she would mind me asking her about their conversation? I hope she doesn't mind.

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:

Hey thanks... you seem really sweet! That's so wonderful you can share with your Grandma, isn't it fun? I always have to explain what the songs mean to my parents and they never understand the words so ... I interpret. I have shown them both part of Vertigo and my Mom cried when I showed her BAD from Boston and I explained what the song was about. She said she felt like was he trying to heal the audience! I got that feeling too the first time I saw that... weeping all over the place...
Thanks for the tip, do you think she would mind me asking her about their conversation? I hope she doesn't mind.

My dad doesn't like U2, simply because he mostly listens to groups from the 70s. My mom is a casual fan. She likes "The Joshua Tree" and "Vertigo" and "Beautiful Day". By the way, I doubt u2jesusgirl would mind you asking her. She's an amazingly wonderful person and has a great love and passion for Jesus. God Bless!! Feel free to pm me anytime!:hug:

Currently Listening: "A Sort of Homecoming"/U2

Carrotflowers, I’m sure you’re a cool person with a good heart who means well, but there’s a lot you’ve shared here that is very unbiblical. Unfortunately, this often happens when people talk about tongues.

I believe people can speak in tongues still, however, it’s often misused, which leads me to believe if many of these people who claim to speak in tongues in fact can. (If the Spirit is guiding you, you should follow the guidelines found in the Holy Scriptures.)

First off, the gift of tongues is one sign that a person has received the Holy Spirit, not the only sign. It’s also not given to everyone. (People can “pray in the spirit” without having the gift of tongues. We can also “preach to every creature” without tongues.) There are many other spiritual gifts, including wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, discernment, tongues and the interpretation of tongues. These are listed in 1 Corinthians. Another list is in Romans 12: prophecy, service, teaching, encouraging, generosity, leadership and mercy.

Although these can show a person has the Holy Spirit, (which any person who’s given their life over to Christ has the Spirit anyway) the fruit of the spirit is what you want to look for: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. If someone claims to be speaking in tongues, but doesn’t show evidence of these, it should be brought into question.

Maybe Bono does have the gift. This doesn’t mean he can go to Africa and heal everybody. (Tongues doesn’t equate healing, btw.) It may not be God’s will for everyone to be healed. Speaking of God’s will and signs of the Spirit, I think Bono’s work in Africa – helping the poorest of the poor – and how he shares his faith through his music and shows the fruits of the spirit in his daily life . . . this is all the evidence of the Spirit in his life. Whether he can speak in tongues or not is a moot point. So what. Not too many rock stars give a rat’s crap about the world’s poor and spend the majority of their free time fighting for them. There’s obviously something different about Bono. It’s the Holy Spirit. Also, to say Bono isn’t thinking of the afterlife is actually a pretty huge slap in the face, I believe. You said if he realized his power to speak in tongues, he could give people the key of salvation? He doesn’t need tongues to do that! The key to people’s salvation is Christ. That’s it. People acknowledge their sins and seek forgiveness from Christ and accept Christ as lord of their life. That’s it! Tongues has nothing to do with the key to salvation. The whole point of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts is to point people to Christ. If this isn’t being done, again, it should be called into question.

If anyone wants more info on tongues, check out 1 Corinthians 13-14. There are rules for the use of tongues. If they aren’t followed, the Apostle Paul said these people should be regarded as unbelievers. Pretty tough talk.

coemgen said:
Carrotflowers, I’m sure you’re a cool person with a good heart who means well, but there’s a lot you’ve shared here that is very unbiblical. Unfortunately, this often happens when people talk about tongues.

I believe people can speak in tongues still, however, it’s often misused, which leads me to believe if many of these people who claim to speak in tongues in fact can. (If the Spirit is guiding you, you should follow the guidelines found in the Holy Scriptures.)

First off, the gift of tongues is one sign that a person has received the Holy Spirit, not the only sign. It’s also not given to everyone. (People can “pray in the spirit” without having the gift of tongues. We can also “preach to every creature” without tongues.) There are many other spiritual gifts, including wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, discernment, tongues and the interpretation of tongues. These are listed in 1 Corinthians. Another list is in Romans 12: prophecy, service, teaching, encouraging, generosity, leadership and mercy.

Although these can show a person has the Holy Spirit, (which any person who’s given their life over to Christ has the Spirit anyway) the fruit of the spirit is what you want to look for: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. If someone claims to be speaking in tongues, but doesn’t show evidence of these, it should be brought into question.

Maybe Bono does have the gift. This doesn’t mean he can go to Africa and heal everybody. (Tongues doesn’t equate healing, btw.) It may not be God’s will for everyone to be healed. Speaking of God’s will and signs of the Spirit, I think Bono’s work in Africa – helping the poorest of the poor – and how he shares his faith through his music and shows the fruits of the spirit in his daily life . . . this is all the evidence of the Spirit in his life. Whether he can speak in tongues or not is a moot point. So what. Not too many rock stars give a rat’s crap about the world’s poor and spend the majority of their free time fighting for them. There’s obviously something different about Bono. It’s the Holy Spirit. Also, to say Bono isn’t thinking of the afterlife is actually a pretty huge slap in the face, I believe. You said if he realized his power to speak in tongues, he could give people the key of salvation? He doesn’t need tongues to do that! The key to people’s salvation is Christ. That’s it. People acknowledge their sins and seek forgiveness from Christ and accept Christ as lord of their life. That’s it! Tongues has nothing to do with the key to salvation. The whole point of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts is to point people to Christ. If this isn’t being done, again, it should be called into question.

If anyone wants more info on tongues, check out 1 Corinthians 13-14. There are rules for the use of tongues. If they aren’t followed, the Apostle Paul said these people should be regarded as unbelievers. Pretty tough talk.

That was a genius post! You have so much knowledge of the Scriptures! Thanks for being such an awesome witness for Jesus! God Bless!:wink:

U2isthebest said:

Amen!! That was brilliant and well-thought out! I suppose I don't have to assume that you are a Believer?:wink:

I have never had a problem believing in God or in Jesus, but like Bono I rarely found God in Church. I've got a hardwired bullshit detector like Larry that makes it very difficult for me to spend too much time in most churches or around most "believers" because the hypocrisy starts to overwelm me.

What I like about Bono and the boys is that they never hide their own faults. They own up to them all the time. They don't pretend to be perfect. Where I have a big problem with most religeous types is that tendency to sweep under the rug any behaviour that is not proper. They hide it rather than admitting to it and addressing it. I have also seen whole congregations who literally ignore it. Just as an example when I was in second grade we lived with my aunt and uncle who were very devout Catholics. The parish church was still saying mass in Latin, this was '68 I think before they were ordered to use english. Every Sunday we would go to Mass and it was very solemn and proper and then outside in the parking lot people would gather around talking and you would hear people cursing and men gathered together talking about drinking and sex and fathers screaming at their kids and threatening to beat the crap out of them. I made the mistake of asking my aunt and uncle why no one including the priest was calling them on their behaviour and I ended up being punished for "acting smart".

I have had difficulty believing that God takes much of an interest in us. I tend to figure that we got free will after all and it's up to us to figure out what to do with it. But watching Bono does more to make me believe in God's interest than anything else. He is one of the few examples of someone surrendering their life to God that I can believe in. There is no question in my mind that he and the others are following God's guidance.

People who criticize Bono for not ministering or not preaching the gospel just don't get it. If Bono was out pounding his bible and "preaching" the way these people want him to, I for one would be running the other way. Because those types of "preachers" scare me off. Bono is ministering, through the music, the live gigs, and most importantly of all through his life and the way he lives it. Bono does more to minister to me through his example of how you can live your life for christ without having to be "perfect". That is not to say that he doesn't aspire to be better, just that he doesn't beat himself up when he fails, because he knows that God knows he will fail. No one seems to ever comment on all the times in the last few years where Bono has stopped himself from swearing during interviews, they only care about the few times he slips up. Bono progressed from being an angry, violent teenager, (by his own admission) to being a beautiful, gentle, caring soul who is devoting his life to helping the poorest of the poor. Do these yahoos ever give him credit for that? No, they just slam him when accidently lets a four letter word slip out.

Sorry, I'm in full rant mode. I think I'd better shut up for now.

Dana

rihannsu said:

I have never had a problem believing in God or in Jesus, but like Bono I rarely found God in Church. I've got a hardwired bullshit detector like Larry that makes it very difficult for me to spend too much time in most churches or around most "believers" because the hypocrisy starts to overwelm me.

What I like about Bono and the boys is that they never hide their own faults. They own up to them all the time. They don't pretend to be perfect. Where I have a big problem with most religeous types is that tendency to sweep under the rug any behaviour that is not proper. They hide it rather than admitting to it and addressing it. I have also seen whole congregations who literally ignore it. Just as an example when I was in second grade we lived with my aunt and uncle who were very devout Catholics. The parish church was still saying mass in Latin, this was '68 I think before they were ordered to use english. Every Sunday we would go to Mass and it was very solemn and proper and then outside in the parking lot people would gather around talking and you would hear people cursing and men gathered together talking about drinking and sex and fathers screaming at their kids and threatening to beat the crap out of them. I made the mistake of asking my aunt and uncle why no one including the priest was calling them on their behaviour and I ended up being punished for "acting smart".

I have had difficulty believing that God takes much of an interest in us. I tend to figure that we got free will after all and it's up to us to figure out what to do with it. But watching Bono does more to make me believe in God's interest than anything else. He is one of the few examples of someone surrendering their life to God that I can believe in. There is no question in my mind that he and the others are following God's guidance.

People who criticize Bono for not ministering or not preaching the gospel just don't get it. If Bono was out pounding his bible and "preaching" the way these people want him to, I for one would be running the other way. Because those types of "preachers" scare me off. Bono is ministering, through the music, the live gigs, and most importantly of all through his life and the way he lives it. Bono does more to minister to me through his example of how you can live your life for christ without having to be "perfect". That is not to say that he doesn't aspire to be better, just that he doesn't beat himself up when he fails, because he knows that God knows he will fail. No one seems to ever comment on all the times in the last few years where Bono has stopped himself from swearing during interviews, they only care about the few times he slips up. Bono progressed from being an angry, violent teenager, (by his own admission) to being a beautiful, gentle, caring soul who is devoting his life to helping the poorest of the poor. Do these yahoos ever give him credit for that? No, they just slam him when accidently lets a four letter word slip out.

Dana

No! That was so beautiful Dana. It's nice to meet you! I'm Brittany by the way.:wave: Once again, I enjoyed reading your post, and I agree literally w/every word you said. It was exactly the way I feel much of the time. These are all points I've brought out before, and they are all valid. I'd love to continue this discussion w/you, but I don't want to derail the thread, so feel free to PM me anytime. By the way, if you haven't read "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philp Yancey (I'm sure you've heard Bono speak of it) I highly recommend it. It is the best book I've read next to The Bible. I'd never heard of it until Bono mentioned it, so once again I can thank God that he used Bono to bring this incredible book into my hands. God Bless!

rihannsu said:

Dana

Bravo! Excellent post! I agree with you wholeheartedly! I too have BS meter when it comes to phony people posing at church and it turns me off to no end. That is why Bono is so refreshing to me. He speaks the truth and is honest about his short comings. He behaves more like a true Christian than most people I have met at church because he walks the talk and lives it.
I also have loved Amy Grant's music for a long time and her approach to faith and treating other people with respect is much the same as Bono's approach, minus the drinking and cursing that is. ;) She's always been up front with her short comings saying she is not perfect and doesn't expect others to be either. That got my attention as a younger woman and I have been a fan ever since. I don't know if you remember this or if you even know who Amy is (sorry off topic) but she was chastised and condemmed by the fundamentalists back in the 80's for making a "pop dance" record. What is funny about that is that was probably one of her most overtly "Jesus" records lyrically. People actually would count the number of times she used Jesus in the lyrics and would proceed in crucifying her if they didn't deem it adequate. This is what turns me off of CCM and on to U2... there is no BS and noboy can claim ownership of them!!!!
Anyway...sorry for the ramble!

Jeannieco said:

Bravo! Excellent post! I agree with you wholeheartedly! I too have BS meter when it comes to phony people posing at church and it turns me off to no end. That is why Bono is so refreshing to me. He speaks the truth and is honest about his short comings. He behaves more like a true Christian than most people I have met at church because he walks the talk and lives it.
I also have loved Amy Grant's music for a long time and her approach to faith and treating other people with respect is much the same as Bono's approach, minus the drinking and cursing that is. ;) She's always been up front with her short comings saying she is not perfect and doesn't expect others to be either. That got my attention as a younger woman and I have been a fan ever since. I don't know if you remember this or if you even know who Amy is (sorry off topic) but she was chastised and condemmed by the fundamentalists back in the 80's for making a "pop dance" record. What is funny about that is that was probably one of her most overtly "Jesus" records lyrically. People actually would count the number of times she used Jesus in the lyrics and would proceed in crucifying her if they didn't deem it adequate. This is what turns me off of CCM and on to U2... there is no BS and noboy can claim ownership of them!!!!
Anyway...sorry for the ramble!

I love Amy Grant, especially her older stuff. My mom has always been a big fan. I can't believe that people in the church would do what you mentioned. That's modern-day Pharisee legalism at it's best (or worst really) Boy, I wonder what they'd think of some of the stuff I listen to: I love Madonna as much as I do U2. I love Green Day:ohmy: , Eminem:shh:, Elton John (and he's gay!:wink: , and many other artists they'd deem "heathen". Let's just say I have diverse musical tastes. I would never listen to certain groups like KISS or Motley Crue, etc. that have openly turned againt Jesus and promoted Satanism. However, while I do love a lot of praise and worship and certain CCM artists, "secular" music often helps me cope better than the "Christian" music out there. I don't have a problem with that, and I don't believe Jesus does either. God Bless!

Currently Listening: "If Walls Could Talk"/Celine Dion

U2isthebest said:

No! That was so beautiful Dana. It's nice to meet you! I'm Brittany by the way.:wave: Once again, I enjoyed reading your post, and I agree literally w/every word you said. It was exactly the way I feel much of the time. These are all points I've brought out before, and they are all valid. I'd love to continue this discussion w/you, but I don't want to derail the thread, so feel free to PM me anytime. By the way, if you haven't read "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philp Yancey (I'm sure you've heard Bono speak of it) I highly recommend it. It is the best book I've read next to The Bible. I'd never heard of it until Bono mentioned it, so once again I can thank God that he used Bono to bring this incredible book into my hands. God Bless!

I can't pm because I'm not a premium user. I don't mind emails to rihannsu@u2.com.

Thanks for the comment. Yes I've read WSAAG by Yancey. I also recommend "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalogue" Whiteley & Maynard, "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by Steve Stockman and "One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God" by Christian Scharen. All very good books. When you read "One Step Closer" and see the theological scope of their work it is amazing.

Dana

U2isthebest said:

I love Amy Grant, especially her older stuff. My mom has always been a big fan. I can't believe that people in the church would do what you mentioned. That's modern-day Pharisee legalism at it's best (or worst really) Boy, I wonder what they'd think of some of the stuff I listen to: I love Madonna as much as I do U2. I love Green Day:ohmy: , Eminem:shh:, Elton John (and he's gay!:wink: , and many other artists they'd deem "heathen". Let's just say I have diverse musical tastes. I would never listen to certain groups like KISS or Motley Crue, etc. that have openly turned againt Jesus and promoted Satanism. However, while I do love a lot of praise and worship and certain CCM artists, "secular" music often helps me cope better than the "Christian" music out there. I don't have a problem with that, and I don't believe Jesus does either. God Bless!

Currently Listening: "If Walls Could Talk"/Celine Dion

Ya, back in the dark ages (the 80's) ;) they thought she worshiped the devil because she wore leopard print jacket!! HAHAHA!!! That totally cracked me up and I can just imagine what she thought about these wacko fundamentalists.
Things have changed alot since the 80's thanks to Amy. She was CCM trailblazer in that sense, she knocked down alot of walls.

I also love all kinds of music and think it's great to be open-minded and non-judgemental.
It's hard sometimes though isn't it? Questions are always a good thing imo.

rihannsu said:

I can't pm because I'm not a premium user. I don't mind emails to rihannsu@u2.com.

Thanks for the comment. Yes I've read WSAAG by Yancey. I also recommend "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalogue" Whiteley & Maynard, "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by Steve Stockman and "One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God" by Christian Scharen. All very good books. When you read "One Step Closer" and see the theological scope of their work it is amazing.

Dana

I've been hearing so much about those books, and I can't wait to get to them. Thanks for your awesome comments!! I will be e-mailing you as soon as possible! God Bless!

Jeannieco said:

Ya, back in the dark ages (the 80's) ;) they thought she worshiped the devil because she wore leopard print jacket!! HAHAHA!!! That totally cracked me up and I can just imagine what she thought about these wacko fundamentalists.
Things have changed alot since the 80's thanks to Amy. She was CCM trailblazer in that sense, she knocked down alot of walls.

I also love all kinds of music and think it's great to be open-minded and non-judgemental.
It's hard sometimes though isn't it? Questions are always a good thing imo.

No:shocked: Not leopard print...LOL. It's actually ridiculous how some of these people think. Wow. Thank God I've never run across anyone like that. Shall we say, we'd have some issues?:angel: LOL. Thank God for Grace! God Bless!

Hello everyone! I spoke to Beth Maynard who co-wrote "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching The U2 Catalogue" and who has a website called www.u2sermons.blogspot.com
She gave me some references where it has been recorded that the members of U2 do in fact pray in tounges. It is in "The Unforgettable Fire" biography, "Into The Heart" about the meaning of U2 lyrics and in "Killing Bono" by Neil McCormick. In the July 2005 issue of MOJO magazine Bono said this (he was speaking of the time during the making of "October", but its obviously still valid if he is still talking about it) "We went in to make October with that in mind: we can do this on the spot. The Spirit will inspire us. We will speak in tongues and words will form and songs will appear. And, y'know, they did!" http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4022&Key=&Year=&Cat=5
God Bless!
Obviously, it's not something they simply put out there and speak at length about like they would about their faith in general, but it has been mentioned. If anyone finds any other info. on this feel free to post!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom