This article rocks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
But undoubtedly his integrity is tied to his very messiness. And this is a lesson worthy of remembering.

I love that

Thanks for posting that

I did too. Integrity to me is not having perfect morals and being in the cutesy little conservative Christian club. It's being real enough to say that you're screwed up and never will be perfect. It's being who you ARE as opposed to who everyone around you says and/or thinks you should be. Bono's defined that by just by existing.

Last edited:
I like it! An article that talks about his faith --and its results--without apologizing for his so-called "faults" (which there are actually not that many of, and some of them aren't actually "faults" anyway).

Thanks for the link!

Good find Brittany!
Since we are talking about honesty here, I sorta cringe when I see Bono's name in the same sentence being defined as evangelical. :slant: sorry, but it's true.
I guess I am so used to the old definition of what that means I am totally turned off by it. However, the last line of the article said it best, ...."bring on the new world evangelists"....
yes indeed. I don't think we should label him that and something tells me he doesn't want that label either. It will turn off legions of potential listeners and non believers to his non judgemental message of hope which is ofcourse Jesus' message. This is the power of U2. Connecting with all sorts of people sans the labels. Labels are dangerous.
People are people. Rock on BONO, you are one of the most effective examples of God's love in motion in our screwed up world!! :)

thanks very much for posting this :wink:

On the whole, it is a very lovely portrayal of Bono's spirituality - and quite true.

We are all richer for the presence of this man (Bono) in our lives.

In the Name of Love :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jeannieco said:
Good find Brittany!
Since we are talking about honesty here, I sorta cringe when I see Bono's name in the same sentence being defined as evangelical. :slant: sorry, but it's true.
I guess I am so used to the old definition of what that means I am totally turned off by it. However, the last line of the article said it best, ...."bring on the new world evangelists"....
yes indeed. I don't think we should label him that and something tells me he doesn't want that label either. It will turn off legions of potential listeners and non believers to his non judgemental message of hope which is ofcourse Jesus' message. This is the power of U2. Connecting with all sorts of people sans the labels. Labels are dangerous.
People are people. Rock on BONO, you are one of the most effective examples of God's love in motion in our screwed up world!! :)

I totally agree and though I basically like the article and think most of it is very true, I am not happy about this "labeling" either, and I am sure Bono wouldn't agree with it.

But it has become obvious in recent years that religious groups are increasingly trying to take advantage of Bono, his work and his message, and to a certain extend he is inviting them to do so, but much of it is just (mis)interpretation and making use of the man and his message in order to fit their own purposes.

Even tough I am very interested in the spiritual aspects of Bono's life and work, things like these just make me cringe.

last unicorn said:

I totally agree and though I basically like the article and think most of it is very true, I am not happy about this "labeling" either, and I am sure Bono wouldn't agree with it.

But it has become obvious in recent years that religious groups are increasingly trying to take advantage of Bono, his work and his message, and to a certain extend he is inviting them to do so, but much of it is just (mis)interpretation and making use of the man and his message in order to fit their own purposes.

Hi Unicorn. I think so too! ( about certain groups taking advantage of his fame and name) that is what turns me off completely.
It's like when he was dressed up as MacPhisto where were these people? Probably standing outside the concert halls spewing judemental hate. Yes, I know I know!! Not everyone is like this that calls themselves evangelical, but the radical side are anything but Christ-like in their approach to people outside the cookie cutter version of their definition of Christianity. Look at what they did to Amy Grant. Crucified the woman back the 80's for wearing a lepoard print coat and singing songs with a rock n roll sensibility! Then she got a divorce, and well, forget about it, she was practically called the spawn of satan! Give me a break. She is another example of God's love in motion if you ask me. Totally classy and open to people from all walks of life, very Christ like.

Remember Bono is the one that had to give the church a wake up call to get them moving on the AIDS emergency. Otherwise they'd all still be standing around pointing fingers at each other and trying to put out fires with garden hoses while the whole world goes down in flames.

Hey everyone. Just a note, this article doesn't actually refer to Bono as an "evangelical", it refers to him as a type of new world "evangelist". Its important not to confuse the two terms. An "evangelical" is a member of a particular branch of the Protestant Church. I agree that Bono would probably shy away from this association. But the term "evangelist" is not tied to a particular branch or pursuasion of faith/church. The term "evangelist" just refers to someone who, in their own way, shares God's love with others.

Peace and love,
D

darrenbrett said:
Hey everyone. Just a note, this article doesn't actually refer to Bono as an "evangelical", it refers to him as a type of new world "evangelist". Its important not to confuse the two terms. An "evangelical" is a member of a particular branch of the Protestant Church. I agree that Bono would probably shy away from this association. But the term "evangelist" is not tied to a particular branch or pursuasion of faith/church. The term "evangelist" just refers to someone who, in their own way, shares God's love with others.

Peace and love,
D

Hey thanks for that explanation darren!
I was just making a general rant on labels and got carried away.
Welcome to the board!
Jeannie :D

darrenbrett said:

Did you write it? I noticed the name similarity :)

Good eye. Yes, I did write the article. I appreciate the positive notes about it on this forum.

Peace,
Darren

:up: Well said! I like the paragraph that mentions how Bono is "'not trying.'" That is one reason why I just can't get into contemporary Christian music: those artists just seem to be trying really hard to look and sound like Christians. It's like they sit down and say, "OK, we need to write another song about Jesus because we're a Christian band and that's what we're supposed to do." U2 is not that way at all; they write songs about their faith because they are moved by it and because they want to -- not because they need to live up to a label.

Back
Top Bottom