The Screwtape Letters and U2's music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
I'm currently re-reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis which, I'm sure most of you know is where Bono conceived the idea of Macphisto for ZOO TV. For those of you who might not be familiar with the book, Macphisto is based on Screwtape a demon secretary who is writing letter to his nephew a junior demon who is trying to tempt a new Christian off the path of faith. Lewis wrote it from the devil's point of view to show his reasons and devices for destroying lives. As Bono has said later that was U2's reasoning behind Macphisto and much of the ZOO TV tour. However there's a quote in the book that sums up a lot of the theme of U2's music and spiritual journey in general. This is, of course, from a letter Screwtape has sent his nephew. Throughout the book Jesus is referred to as "the Enemy". "Our cause is never more in danger than when a human no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys." To me, many U2 songs are about the struggle when God seems absent, about doubt, the "dark night of the soul" as Edge has described it, yet I've never listened to a U2 song without feeling hope. Bono has an amazing gift of being able to write lyrics about a person in a state of despair, yet, and I feel this is because of his strong faith, there's always a belief that God will intervene once again. To me, that's the essence of "Beautiful Day" most strong. I just wanted to share! God Bless!

The Disciple said:
This book is DEEP. Put ur scuba gear on b4 U read it.

I know! This is the second time I've read it, and I've had to concentrate even harder this time around. I'm shocked at the parallels and how prophetic it is for today's society. Lewis was an absolute genius; what a work God did in him.

U2isthebest said:
I'm currently re-reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis which, I'm sure most of you know is where Bono conceived the idea of Macphisto for ZOO TV. For those of you who might not be familiar with the book, Macphisto is based on Screwtape a demon secretary who is writing letter to his nephew a junior demon who is trying to tempt a new Christian off the path of faith. Lewis wrote it from the devil's point of view to show his reasons and devices for destroying lives. As Bono has said later that was U2's reasoning behind Macphisto and much of the ZOO TV tour. However there's a quote in the book that sums up a lot of the theme of U2's music and spiritual journey in general. This is, of course, from a letter Screwtape has sent his nephew. Throughout the book Jesus is referred to as "the Enemy". "Our cause is never more in danger than when a human no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys." To me, many U2 songs are about the struggle when God seems absent, about doubt, the "dark night of the soul" as Edge has described it, yet I've never listened to a U2 song without feeling hope. Bono has an amazing gift of being able to write lyrics about a person in a state of despair, yet, and I feel this is because of his strong faith, there's always a belief that God will intervene once again. To me, that's the essence of "Beautiful Day" most strong. I just wanted to share! God Bless!

When I am done with Paul Yanceys book, this is the next on I am going to read! I think you hit the nail on the head (no pun intended). My favorite song is Beautiful Day....Screwtape is a hard read and a non believer may not grasp the whole concept.

BTW: On the Off the Record, Bono it seemed as if he made sure he got in the fact that he was a believer...you know between the F bombs...:laugh:

Hi Bri....very wise spiritually for your age!!!:hug:

Re: Re: The Screwtape Letters and U2's music

JCOSTER said:

When I am done with Paul Yanceys book, this is the next on I am going to read! I think you hit the nail on the head (no pun intended). My favorite song is Beautiful Day....Screwtape is a hard read and a non believer may not grasp the whole concept.

BTW: On the Off the Record, Bono it seemed as if he made sure he got in the fact that he was a believer...you know between the F bombs...:laugh:

Hi Bri....very wise spiritually for your age!!!:hug:

Aww, Thanks JC!! :hug: I love "BD". It's one of my favorites, it always brings a tear to my eye, even though it's so uplifting! Screwtape is extremely difficult to grasp, so as Disciple said you really have to be in the right mindset. This isn't the right place, but is there a link for Off The Record yet? What did Bono say about his faith? He's always got to bring it up no matter where and when. I love that about him!

Ah, Screwtape! And excellent read indeed! And you're so right about the connection to U2's music. I think that's always why I've been drawn to it. It speaks more of an inner struggle to surrender to God. :lol: I think Edge's comment about the "dark night of the soul" could probably describe most of my life! Their music is brilliant though, because the hope AND the hopelessness kind of exist together. Like the Screwtape quote, one feels forsaken, abandoned, neglected, etc, yet continues on, pushes forward, the faith helps keep that person alive.

To me this is more realistic than say, a lot of Christian songs I've heard. Most of the ones I've heard speak of this expectation, like, this knowing that we are supposed to have. That doubt is wrong, and to keep forward in blind faith.

But I don't have that. I think, and U2's lyrics also speak of this, that the doubts, etc, make us human. They are okay because the doubts can even bring us closer to God, once we've overcome that obstacle.

I don't know if this makes any sense. I just returned from a 16 hour shift. :crazy:

redhotswami said:
Ah, Screwtape! And excellent read indeed! And you're so right about the connection to U2's music. I think that's always why I've been drawn to it. It speaks more of an inner struggle to surrender to God. :lol: I think Edge's comment about the "dark night of the soul" could probably describe most of my life! Their music is brilliant though, because the hope AND the hopelessness kind of exist together. Like the Screwtape quote, one feels forsaken, abandoned, neglected, etc, yet continues on, pushes forward, the faith helps keep that person alive.

To me this is more realistic than say, a lot of Christian songs I've heard. Most of the ones I've heard speak of this expectation, like, this knowing that we are supposed to have. That doubt is wrong, and to keep forward in blind faith.

But I don't have that. I think, and U2's lyrics also speak of this, that the doubts, etc, make us human. They are okay because the doubts can even bring us closer to God, once we've overcome that obstacle.

I don't know if this makes any sense. I just returned from a 16 hour shift. :crazy:

:yikes: That's a lot of time working! That makes perfect sense though!! You put into words exactly what I feel.:hug:

Back
Top Bottom