The Message: Heartily Endorsed by the B-Man Himself!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
(But that's not why I picked it up.)

I was out looking for books tonight with my sister, and while looking among the Christianity section, I noticed a few copies of The Message, the Bible translation in "plain English." I flipped through it and was intrigued (and, yes, caught Bono's :up: on the back cover).

I've started to read some of it, and I must say that I do find it startlingly clear, emotive, and even reverent without losing its plainspoken quality. Anyone else familiar with The Message? Anyone have any thoughts?

I haven't heard of it, no, but I'm due for a brouse through some new books, so I might check this out.
Do you know who the publisher is?

Actually, if it wasn't for Bono's involvement, I would never have known it existed. I do like it, however, because it tries to rip away all the overly ornate language that we've done over the last 2000 years of translations. After all, the New Testament, in particular, was written in completely informal language.

Melon

It is by Eugene H. Peterson (Navpress Publishing Group), and I've read the entire NT. I like the language and the emphasis on paragraphs instead of verses. I'm reading the OT now. I know there are some other folks here that read it too.

It is good to add this to a mix of versions to get a better understanding of Scripture. While it make increase general understanding, there are some key terms and phrases that may get lost as they relate to other passages of Scripture.

I have it and have pretty much just looked up verses in it here and there to get another view. I've read some smaller books. I'm planning to start reading the NT soon. I love how it's written. I'm glad to hear you picked it up and are enjoying it. :up: FYI, there's The Message remix, and I think it has the verses in it if you're the type of person who needs them in there. It was different for me at first, but I enjoy reading it more like plain letters, you know?

I've searched online and found three versions : "the message bible","the message, new testament with psalms and proverbs" and "the message promise book".

I'm assuming you're talking about the Psalm-one?

I'm searching for a bible explanatory book, so if you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

coemgen said:
FYI, there's The Message remix, and I think it has the verses in it if you're the type of person who needs them in there.

Yeah. That's what I have. I like being able to quote things...heh.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
It is good to add this to a mix of versions to get a better understanding of Scripture. While it make increase general understanding, there are some key terms and phrases that may get lost as they relate to other passages of Scripture.

I agree :up:

I got The Message for Christmas last year, and I really enjoy it. Like others have said, it makes things so plain and clear that can really be obscured by the usual ornate, antiquated language used in many translations.

Beautiful Version.... "The Message Remix" is the most current version... U can get it now 4 as little as $25 in the U.S.

God has used The Message and "What's SO Amazing About Grace" to break me from the bondage of religion and into a relationship with him.

Thanks Bono! I was totally unaware of these books or authors before Bono mentioned them.

the soul waits said:
I've searched online and found three versions : "the message bible","the message, new testament with psalms and proverbs" and "the message promise book".

I'm assuming you're talking about the Psalm-one?

I'm searching for a bible explanatory book, so if you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

I think The Message Bible is the correct one. Are the others by Eugene Peterson? He's the author to look for.

I think the Message is a good thing to have, since alot of people feel intimidated by the "older" versions, but I think it's best to use the Message as a companion for translations like KJV so that you can get the full effect. The pastor at my church reads both from the Message and another translation for this purpose. (My parents absolutely cannot stand the Message Bible. I guess they think it's sacreligious to use Scripture in such a casual language.)

Greetings!

Old Newbie here.

I had actually never heard of "The Message" until I read this thread.
I may have seen it but not thought to pick it up when I've visited my friendly neighborhood Christian bookstore. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic so a lot of the literature that is out there in Christian Bookstores... isn't "for me", shall I say. It's a bit intimidating to go to a Christian Bookstore and find a book on Catholicism in the "Cults" section next to a book on "Jevovah's Witnesses".
:ohmy:

But! I "take what I like and leave the rest".

Anyway, Just did a quick search on "The Message", and as expected, I immediately found a site that questions the accuracy of much of Mr. Peterson's translation of scripture.

It never changes, does it?
It always boils down to "choice" and "faith".

Anyway,
Peace!

Landslide said:
I had actually never heard of "The Message" until I read this thread.
I may have seen it but not thought to pick it up when I've visited my friendly neighborhood Christian bookstore. I'm a practicing Roman Catholic so a lot of the literature that is out there in Christian Bookstores... isn't "for me", shall I say. It's a bit intimidating to go to a Christian Bookstore and find a book on Catholicism in the "Cults" section next to a book on "Jevovah's Witnesses".
:ohmy:

Don't worry. We can include Protestantism et al. in the "Heretic" section. :wink:

I hate Christian bookstores. Buy "The Message" off of Amazon.com, if you must. And they sell all this stuff at really cheap prices.

But, of course, "The Message" is based off of the Protestant canon, so, unfortunately, no "Apocryphal" texts in the OT. The Vatican would probably have a fit and refuse to approve a Catholic version anyway.

Melon

melon said:

I hate Christian bookstores. Buy "The Message" off of Amazon.com, if you must. And they sell all this stuff at really cheap prices.

You know, I really don't care much for most Christian bookstores, myself. Most of them shave the wool right off the flock's back - in other words, they overcharge by a mile, like Barnes and Noble. If I want a Christian book or CD, I'll usually buy from Amazon.

The Christian bookstore I refuse to buy from at all is Family Bookstore. They are the only Christian book store I know of that is open on Sunday. Now, I'm not against this for legalistic reasons; I'll go to Best Buy on a Sunday afternoon. I'm against it because, they are possibly preventing employees from going to Church. If the store is open, someone has to work it. What if that person would rather be at Church? But what really cheeses me off is that they tried to justify being open on Sunday by using the verse from the Bible in which Jesus says that if a man's donkey fell in a ditch on the sabbath, he would go and get it and that it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. What a horrible case of intentional twisting of meaning! Staying open on Sunday is a case of "doing good on the Sabbath"? Ridiculous. The only way that it could be seen as doing good is if you're talking about doing good for the owner's pocket book.

Hmmm... Hobby Lobby.
Didn't that whole chain shut down?
I used to love to go in there and "get lost".

Ah, yes. The "Family Christian Store". I go to the one that they say is their largest in the world. It's in Irving, Texas.
It IS pretty huge.
THAT is where they used to have a book on Catholicism under the "Cults" section.
The book is no longer there. In fact, the last time I visited, they had a lil' corner of "Catholic literature" with books on JP II, Mother Teresa and even the Catholic Cathecism.

PLUS, they actually have First Communion supplies too.... "Crucifixes"!!! (... the horror... the horror...)

I guess if there's money to be made, hey why not.

I honestly don't think they've opened up to things Catholic there because of an opening of hearts and tolerance, but more of, "Hey look! We're not hatin' here, okay? Happy now?"

BUT, that could just be MY bitterness talking. Perhaps I'm in the wrong here (would not be the first time)

I don't hate Christian Bookstores. I enjoy going to the Family Christian Bookstore and looking for a "new gem".
After all, that is where I buy my Max Lucados, Phillip Yanceys, Brennan Mannings, C.S. Lewis's (although he is WAY too brainy for me!), and my Selah music CD's.
(did you all catch my plugs in there?? wink wink).

I just always feel... like the redheaded stepchild when I'm in there.

I wonder who "The Message" interprits the "plank in my eye" part of the Gospel?
I'll have to look it up.

Landslide said:
Hmmm... Hobby Lobby.
Didn't that whole chain shut down?
I used to love to go in there and "get lost".

They're still around...and you're right, a good place to get lost in.

I've never actually purchased and then THROWN AWAY a "Bible" until this one called "The Message."

This re-writer of the Bible altered MANY verses beyond recognition - or scriptural sense.

Furthermore, he has also expunged God's Holy Name Jehovah/Yahweh/Ieova, etc. from his own Book, where the Tetragrammaton represents it 7000 times. Some translations have "managed" to keep it in there at least in two or three spots (the NWT has it in all 7000) but this beyond-liberal PARAPHRASE has it wiped it out completely.

I have other paraphrases, but this one is out of the ballpark.

As for the book "What's So Amazing About Grace", I was astounded at how pathetically anti-scriptural it was; and yet that people still paid $15 a piece for a copy. 'Just another example of how many will even pay for false teachings in order to have their ears tickled by them - listen to someone tell them that their practice of sin isn't so bad; and also that they don't REALLY have to obey Yahweh's words - meet his requirements on his own terms in order to survive into his coming new world system here - because some man who calls himself a preacher says so. This is one of those many populace-pleasing, truth-withholding, "God is love"; "do-your-own-thing-even-if-its-Bible-condemned-so-long-as-you-SAY-you believe-in-God-and-Christ-and-call-yourself-Christian; salvation-will-come-through-man-and-his-politics-and social justice-NOT-God's-scriptural-heaven-based -Kingdom-government-headed-by-Jesus books. Needed life-saving, scripturally accurate truth is not taught by this spiritually misleading book.

Make sure you follow Yahweh's own words and spirit - not empty philosophies and "teachings of men" which contradict what God says.

Last edited:
:shocked:

Jaw exercises.... great for that oncoming double-chin.

I like the way "Anounymous" recovery groups insist that in discussion meetings, one always use "I" and "for me" when sharing, and never "you" or "we" (or "you should" or "we must", or "make sure you follow"). That what one offers be of one's own experience and opinion and that advice, judgements and condemnations never be given to others as "Gospel truth".

But who am I kidding, this is not a recovery group, in most cases I don't even follow what I've preached above (and I HAVE preached), and posting wouldn't be as much fun if I owned up to only myself, and didn't wag my bitter finger at you all... and didn't stroke my ego by having total strangers acknowledge my rantings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom