the joshua tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
For anyone who has seen or owns the dvd "Classic Albums, U2, the Joshua Tree" there is a part where Anton Corbijn talks about finding the actual tree and talking to Bono about the idea of the Joshua Tree on the cover.

So he tells the story, on the video, how Bono came downstairs with his Bible and talked about the Joshua Tree in the bible, how he liked the idea of it, it's meaning etc...

My question is, I'm not a fanatical Bible reader, but I think I know my bible. I don't believe there is a reference to Joshua Tree in the bible, is there? And if so, where ?

I know, of course, the stories of the prophet Joshua, (choose ye this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the lord, etc....) but I don't know of any story of that prophet related to any tree or such. Any input?

thankyou said:
For anyone who has seen or owns the dvd "Classic Albums, U2, the Joshua Tree" there is a part where Anton Corbijn talks about finding the actual tree and talking to Bono about the idea of the Joshua Tree on the cover.

So he tells the story, on the video, how Bono came downstairs with his Bible and talked about the Joshua Tree in the bible, how he liked the idea of it, it's meaning etc...

I don't even remember that part being in the video...:huh:

thankyou said:

My question is, I'm not a fanatical Bible reader, but I think I know my bible. I don't believe there is a reference to Joshua Tree in the bible, is there? And if so, where ?

I know, of course, the stories of the prophet Joshua, (choose ye this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the lord, etc....) but I don't know of any story of that prophet related to any tree or such. Any input?

I remember that part. What stands out to me tho is the way Anton pronounces Joshua as Yoshua.....funny! Tooo bad THE TREE no longer stands however if you want to make the trek as a pilmigrace there to THE SPOT where THE TREE stood, you can find it......and there are tons of joshua trees in the park and desert, they are really beautiful. Don't forget to blast JT as you drive around there, especially IN GOD'S COUNTRY.....it most definitely IS beautiful.

thankyou said:

Ok, the Joshua tree is a North American desert plant so it wouldn't be in the Bible!

What Mr. Corbijn (and Bono) were banging on about was probably *why* it's called the Joshua tree--it was supposedly named that by Mormon pioneers. For some reason the tree reminded the pioneers of the stories about Joshua in the Old Testament!

Surely there's a Mormon around here somewhere who could tell us why the tree reminded the pioneers of Joshua...:D

Re: Re: the joshua tree?

kimby said:

Ok, the Joshua tree is a North American desert plant so it wouldn't be in the Bible!

What Mr. Corbijn (and Bono) were banging on about was probably *why* it's called the Joshua tree--it was supposedly named that by Mormon pioneers. For some reason the tree reminded the pioneers of the stories about Joshua in the Old Testament!

Surely there's a Mormon around here somewhere who could tell us why the tree reminded the pioneers of Joshua...:D

Well, got me thinking and I looked it up in wikipedia. here is what I found:

The name Joshua tree was given by a band of Mormons who crossed the Mojave Desert in the mid-19th century. The tree's unique shape reminded them of a Biblical story in which Joshua reaches his hands up to the sky.

I honestly think that Anton Corbijn might have gotten a little confused in his conversation with Bono, because on the video he clearly talks about the Joshua Tree in the bible. That's what was making me sort of scratch my head, because it just didn't seem to make sense. :scratch:

He did have the original idea of using the image of the tree for the cover, and I guess this particular tree being by itself, was a beautiful image to use, symbolic of the american desert, and America was something U2 was referring to in many of their songs in this album. Too bad the tree didn't survive. But fortunately U2's music, and even more so the inspiration it has given to many, will last forever.

Thanks Kimby for your input!

^I think you're right. I think Bono Anton got a bit confused when Bono was talking about everything. It may be mentioned in the book of mormon, and Anton thought he meant Bible.
We all know Bono's not mormon though. :wink:
What I've heard before is that the Hebrew name for Jesus, Yeshua, is what Bono was going after too. Tree meaning the Cross.

Then there's the fact that the trees look freaking cool. :wink:

coemgen said:
^I think you're right. I think Bono Anton got a bit confused when Bono was talking about everything. It may be mentioned in the book of mormon, and Anton thought he meant Bible.
We all know Bono's not mormon though. :wink:
What I've heard before is that the Hebrew name for Jesus, Yeshua, is what Bono was going after too. Tree meaning the Cross.

Then there's the fact that the trees look freaking cool. :wink:
I know for a fact it isn't mentioned in their book of mormon either (already checked). I found this interesting info in Wikipedia also:

"The Joshua Tree
Crystallizing this musical journey, as the band jokingly says in the film Rattle and Hum, the album name The Joshua Tree is not without implicit meaning. The Hebrew name "Joshua" translated into Greek means "Jesus," which provides a Biblical connotation for the album content. What is more, the actual tree's shape reminds some of the outstretched arms of Jesus on the cross. Also, in the Old Testament, Joshua was leading the Hebrews in their follow-up victory at Ai, and he hanged their king on a tree until sunset. These images resonate with the themes of the album by evoking an image of a man suffering a great loss or making a great sacrifice, and either calling on something greater for assistance, or simply drawing on catharsis to reconcile what has been lost."

Back
Top Bottom