the bird is in your hands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
so i'm at college and we have a lot of activities sponsored by the college at night cos it's a small town in south dakota and otherwise there'd be nothing to do.

i went and saw this comedian/inspirational speaker the other night and i wanted to share with you all one of the best things he said to us.

the context would be him reminding us that our life decisions are in our hands, if we are in a relationship we don't like, change it...etc (his motto was "life is change")

so here's the story...

there were two men in the time of Jesus who doubted His abilities and wanted to prove Him a liar. so they got a bird. "here is my plan," said one to the other. " i will keep this bird in my hand, and ask Jesus to tell me if the bird is alive or if it is dead. if he says it is alive, i will let the bird go."

"well," said the other man, "what if He says it is dead?"

the first man replied, "if Jesus says the bird is dead, i will squeeze it to death in my hand and prove Jesus to be a liar."

so the men figured it to be a fool-proof plan. they learned that Jesus was preaching in town that night...so they headed up there with the bird in on man's hands.

they found Him preaching, and the one man shouted "Jesus...i have a question for you."

"yes, go on," said Jesus.

"is this bird dead or alive?"

"the answer to that," replied Jesus calmly, "is in your hands."

I'm sorry maybe I'm too stupid, but I don't understand that story. :confused: I mean the two men wanted to prove Jesus a liar, right? Yes.
If Jesus says the bird is alive, the man will let the bird go.
If Jesus says the bird is dead, the man will squeeze the bird to death.
So they actually help Jesus no matter what he says. If Jesus says it is dead though the bird is still alive, the man will kill it. If Jesus says the bird is alive, the man will let the bird go and Jesus is right again. I DON'T GET IT! :scream:

FallingStar said:
I'm sorry maybe I'm too stupid, but I don't understand that story. :confused: I mean the two men wanted to prove Jesus a liar, right? Yes.
If Jesus says the bird is alive, the man will let the bird go.
If Jesus says the bird is dead, the man will squeeze the bird to death.
So they actually help Jesus no matter what he says. If Jesus says it is dead though the bird is still alive, the man will kill it. If Jesus says the bird is alive, the man will let the bird go and Jesus is right again. I DON'T GET IT! :scream:

I noticed the same thing. I think it just got typed backwards and should be
If Jesus says the bird is alive, the man will squeeze the bird to death.
If Jesus says the bird is dead, the man will let the bird go.
Either way Jesus is wrong.

whoever proofreads anyway?

*kicks self in shin* ow.

at any rate, i was thinking backward whence i typed it and i blame chris there for reading it and not pointing it out for me right away ;)

it's supposed to be:

Jesus says the bird is dead, then the guy lets the bird go. Jesus says the bird is alive, the guy kills the bird.

thusly, it is true that the destiny of the bird is in the man's hands.

Re: whoever proofreads anyway?

Lilly said:
*kicks self in shin* ow.

at any rate, i was thinking backward whence i typed it and i blame chris there for reading it and not pointing it out for me right away ;)

it's supposed to be:

Jesus says the bird is dead, then the guy lets the bird go. Jesus says the bird is alive, the guy kills the bird.

thusly, it is true that the destiny of the bird is in the man's hands.

Wow, I'm not that stoopid! :laugh: That story seriously kept me awake cos I couldn't get how stupid I grew over my holidays! :huh: :happy:

Back
Top Bottom