Spritual Experience at U2 concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trinity3000

Acrobat
Has anyone else here had a spiritual experience at a U2 Concert?

I totally did.

I had been heading off in a wrong direction for a year or so, just hanging out with negative people, drinking too much, kinda living a double life I guess. I had become really cynical and negative.

The U2 concert was postponed and by the time it came round again I thought I'd sell my ticket, I didn't even want to see them. Considering a year or so before I had a major obsession with U2... shows you how far off track I'd gotten I guess.

A friend talked me into keeping my ticket and going, and I travelled to Auckland with a van full of Christian friends. I have to say even the trip was an eye opener, just being around positive fun people.

But the show itself, OMG, it was so intensely exciting, I have never been that excited in my life. But it was also so spiritual, I found myself with arms upraised, like at church, singing with my eyes closed... I'd have to remind myself to open them so I didn't miss anything.

That night changed something inside me. Something totally snapped or lifted off me or whatever. I had no desire to hang out with the negative people I'd been around. I haven't gone back to that scene at all. It is simply amazing to me.

I think without that experience, I would have continued down a track that would have been really destructive.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else here?

Yes yes yes!!! I know exactly what you mean.

I had the experience a long time ago! My initial experience was not seeing them live, but just by listening and watching their live DVD's on tv, that's how powerful their music is for me. It's hard to describe it to people that don't connect with U2; isn't it? Then I went to my first show and well, I honestly had an out of body experience, like I was there but I wasn't there and all the while trying to log everything about the show to memory, every detail, every emotion, it was like I was watching myself have this intense spiritual connection around thousands of people. That was weird but GREAT! I never let myself go in public, not even in church (if you were raised Catholic, you know what I mean) but at the show, forgetaboutit! I blocked everything negative out around me and just blissed out on U2 and God for 2.5 hrs!! It was great!!!

I so know what you mean!

My U2 obsession started when I was watching the Slaine Castle DVD while I was babysitting. I had a spiritual experience then! It was the segment where Bono is singing All I Want is You, and then goes into Streets have no name.

The Holy Spirit is so present.

PS Love your sig Jeannie. That's from Bono's NAACP speech isn't it? That was so powerful and moving. Made tears come to my eyes.

Last edited:
I've definitely felt God's presence at the shows. The cool thing is other people I know who aren't terribly strong Christians or who don't know the spiritual depth of U2's lyrics have said similar things . . .

To me, that's confirmation that something's going on.

My first U2 concert was March 17, 1985, the Unforgettable Fire tour. The feeling of warmth and joy was so overwhelming at that concert. I'd never felt anything like it.

In my opinion, U2 lost that spirit A LITTLE with the Joshua, Zoo and PopMart tours, but regained it with Elevation and Vertigo. It's what makes them special and sets the apart.

It's the closest to the notion of God I've ever felt anyway.

I can relate to that, but I hardly talk about it because I have had a hard time trying to find out what has been going on with myself.
In the last couple of years I have got so much involved in the band and everything surrounding them that it has changed my life very much.
Much more, than I first realised.
It's not only the concert.
It's a little hard to explain for me, but it definitly changed me inside.
Especially Bono and getting to "know" him better over the years, learning so much about him, it has changed the way I think about many things.
But of course also the music.
It's easier to get up in the mornings for me now, just because they are in the world.

Wow thats pretty cool Unicorn. I think I know what you mean. Things have definately changed for me since I've been obsessed with U2. I think I've found a way to commune with God that I struggled with for some time. He has definately spoken to me through U2 and Bono.

Wow thats pretty cool Unicorn. I think I know what you mean. Things have definately changed for me since I've been obsessed with U2. I think I've found a way to commune with God that I struggled with for some time. He has definately spoken to me through U2 and Bono.

I have to say that I too have had a spiritual experience at a u2 concert. It did change me. Shortly after hearing "The First Time, I felt prompted to look at my spiritual life, and really get real with God. I do believe that the Holy Spirit dwells during u2 concerts. I believe that the Holy Spirit can manifest anywhere where he is made welcome. I have heard that the band prays before concerts and that they even have a traveling chaplain. I do advise, however, against mistaking the messenger for the message. I love u2 and their music and often am led to worship during their songs, but I need to be careful that my main focus is God rather than the music....cool post!

The Vertigo concert in November of 2005 will always b an amazing and bittersweet moment 4 me. I will always remember it 4 many things, one being the last TRULY happy moment my x-wife and I ever shared.

We spent the day handing out flyers and educating people on the African Well Fund, and then shared an amazing show. Soon after, we would split after 6 years of marriage, and with a 7 month old baby boy in the middle of it all.

But the show itself.... the memory of the opening chords of COBL, with Bono coming up in front of us, his hands xtended 2 the Heavens, is burned in2 my memory and heart 4 ever. There were moments during the show, WTSHNN, 4 xample, where I felt like I was floating... and hearing 20,000 people chanting "Yahweh".... and "How long to sing this song" in unison r moments that not only will I never 4get, but gave me a sense of hope that carries over not only 2 my personal life, but 2 my feelings about humanity as a whole, in these darkest of times.

Interestingly, I have been raised in a totally un-religious setting and I consider myself agnostic. I've been going through a bit of a spiritual crisis lately which is not related to U2, and right now I really don't know what to think about God and all that. But there has been moments in my life, or things happening to me, that would push me in the direction of possibly becoming a 'believer' one day, and U2 is most definately one of them. I can't say for sure whether there such a thing as God, or Holy Spirit, but if there is I swear that it must feel like how I feel at a U2 concert! Without a doubt at U2 concerts I have had experiences and feelings that were so real and intense it literally does not compare to anything else I've ever lived.

I must say that it's only recently that I seriously thought about how something religious or spiritual could be linked to how I feel about U2, and more specifically at a U2 concert. I've always said that U2 is one of the very few things in my life that make me fully believe, understand and feel what LOVE is. But then maybe that's what God is...:hmm:

Man I am so confused :confused:

I've always loved this quote from a friend of mine:

"Seein' U2 is kinda like a religious experience. I walked outta the venue thinkin' I could take on the world. The vibes were just so right. I've never felt like that after any other concert. Like, with Ryan [Adams], for example, I just feel like smokin' and drinkin'."

popsadie said:
but I need to be careful that my main focus is God rather than the music.

I remember at the concert thinking, "is this about Bono or God?" It was about God, I had to remember to open my eyes so I'd see Bono, as this was probably my one and only time I would see him in the flesh, I didn't want to waste it!

I've definitely felt God's presence at the shows. The cool thing is other people I know who aren't terribly strong Christians or who don't know the spiritual depth of U2's lyrics have said similar things . . .

I was next to a friend at the concert and neither of us are that expressive in our worship... and we were both there with arms raised singing and shouting, I was really surprised at my friend

last unicorn said:
I can relate to that, but I hardly talk about it because I have had a hard time trying to find out what has been going on with myself.
In the last couple of years I have got so much involved in the band and everything surrounding them that it has changed my life very much.
Much more, than I first realised.
It's not only the concert.
It's a little hard to explain for me, but it definitly changed me inside.
Especially Bono and getting to "know" him better over the years, learning so much about him, it has changed the way I think about many things.
But of course also the music.
It's easier to get up in the mornings for me now, just because they are in the world.

I've been the same way. Very much so. I became a committed Christian after learning about the Biblical lyrics in "Until the End of the World" and how Bono used them so well to share something spiritual. I soon started following their every spiritual move. There's a term in Christianity called "discipling," where someone works on a close, intimate level in leading them and teaching them in their faith. As corny as it sounds, I'd say I was discipled by Bono. Plus, he's just a fun guy to watch live out his faith. I think that's because he genuinely seeks God's will in everything. He takes the leaps God wants us to take.

Have you read "Bono: In Conversation."? He lays out a lot of it right there.

oceane said:
Interestingly, I have been raised in a totally un-religious setting and I consider myself agnostic. I've been going through a bit of a spiritual crisis lately which is not related to U2, and right now I really don't know what to think about God and all that. But there has been moments in my life, or things happening to me, that would push me in the direction of possibly becoming a 'believer' one day, and U2 is most definately one of them. I can't say for sure whether there such a thing as God, or Holy Spirit, but if there is I swear that it must feel like how I feel at a U2 concert! Without a doubt at U2 concerts I have had experiences and feelings that were so real and intense it literally does not compare to anything else I've ever lived.

I must say that it's only recently that I seriously thought about how something religious or spiritual could be linked to how I feel about U2, and more specifically at a U2 concert. I've always said that U2 is one of the very few things in my life that make me fully believe, understand and feel what LOVE is. But then maybe that's what God is...:hmm:

Man I am so confused :confused:

I think you're right on, actually. The Bible says God is love. Bono likes to play with this a lot lyrically. Look at "Window in the Skies" for example. That's it. It's the most blatant Gospel song that's hit the radio in a long time, if ever. I can't wait to experience it live.
The cool thing is there's a relationship we can have with him that goes deeper than just feeling the Spirit at the shows, you know?

coemgen said:

I think you're right on, actually. The Bible says God is love. Bono likes to play with this a lot lyrically. Look at "Window in the Skies" for example. That's it. It's the most blatant Gospel song that's hit the radio in a long time, if ever. I can't wait to experience it live.
The cool thing is there's a relationship we can have with him that goes deeper than just feeling the Spirit at the shows, you know?

Yeah I am aware that in many religious traditions (Christianity among others), God is love, and I know this is a big theme in Bono's lyrics. So yes the way I feel at a concert for example is in line with that. But I still find this very confusing, to be honest. I can't quite make sense of it, and I still think that this 'love' I feel doesn't have to come from a higher power, but simply comes from being in a room full of fellow human beings who are touched and moved by U2 like I am. This can be a very powerful thing by itself, without involving 'God'. But it's powerful enough to make me wonder.

To me the way I feel about U2 (and at their concerts) is one of those things that make me feel very, very strongly that there is something very powerful and mysterious that links all human beings together. Sometimes I do feel that we all come from one soul, in a way. So this gives fuel to the idea that there might be such a thing as God who would have created us all from one soul. But maybe not... like I said I am a real agnostic, I just don't know! :wink:

Bonochick said:
I've always loved this quote from a friend of mine:

"Seein' U2 is kinda like a religious experience. I walked outta the venue thinkin' I could take on the world. The vibes were just so right. I've never felt like that after any other concert. Like, with Ryan [Adams], for example, I just feel like smokin' and drinkin'."

:up:

i always leave with the sense that more is possible, both more from me but more importantly more from us. all of us. the power of the individual working as part of the collective through the realization of the shared potential in all of us, all of us cut from the same cloth. there's some place we can go, and we can go there together, if we all take it upon ourselves to be better.

call it God, call it whatever. i don't know what to call it, but i know it's a million miles from judgement and rules and regulations and qualifications and justifications.

Irvine511 said:

:up:

i always leave with the sense that more is possible, both more from me but more importantly more from us. all of us. the power of the individual working as part of the collective through the realization of the shared potential in all of us, all of us cut from the same cloth. there's some place we can go, and we can go there together, if we all take it upon ourselves to be better.

call it God, call it whatever. i don't know what to call it, but i know it's a million miles from judgement and rules and regulations and qualifications and justifications.
:up: Great post

My mother had open-heart surgery in June 2001. Everything went well with the surgery; but during the night some stitches came loose (at least that's what we were told), causing a lot of internal bleeding which basically wrecked all of her organs. She fought long and hard, but gave it up a month later. Unbeknownst to each other, my brothers, two sisters, and I had each visited her during her last day and told her if she wanted to go, it was okay. And we had the great privilege of being with her when she crossed over.

"What does this have to do with U2?" you say? During the period June 18-July 18, ATYCLB was getting a lot of radio play. During twice-daily treks back and forth to the hospital, I would invariably hear either "Stuck in a Moment" or "Walk On", and they kind of became the sound track to that entire terrible time--but they gave me comfort and hope.

My sister and I each managed to score a pair of tickets to the show at the Joyce Center at Notre Dame on October 10, 2001--a minor miracle unto itself, considering that it's such a relatively small venue. We tried to talk our brother and other sister into going, but no go, so we sold the tickets. (They did finally got to the two Chicago shows during the Vertigo tour with us.)

That show, coming so soon after Bono's father's death and 9/11, was incredible. Police and firefighters from NYC were there, and were brought on stage during "Walk On." The entire show had an energy or "presence" that I'd never felt before. If you are able to hear a CD of the show, you will hear Bono say things like "Take you to church . . . that's right . . . we're *in* a church." Many "amens." Sometimes I think Bono must have been a fire-and-brimstone preacher in a past life! :lol:

I think my sister put it well when she said that at that show, something crawled into her heart and took up residence. I know U2 ministered to me when I needed it most. We sang; we danced; we laughed; we cried . . . and so did everyone else there. God was definitely in the house!

Back
Top Bottom