Spiritual / Biblical References - How Many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWU2Buffs

War Child
Has anyone ever tried to figure out how many U2 songs either by overall theme or lyrical content include some reference to scripture, God, Jesus or personal faith?

Anyone have a guess off the top of their head?

Without much thought or a discography scan, I'm thinking like 25%.

Just curios today.

Are those in any way verified with the band though, in interviews for example?

I mean, although a great deal of them are quite plausible, I think it's a bit obsessive to search for a Bible reference in lines such as "It was a joyful noise" (Magnificent). Since that line is immediately preceded by "From the womb my first cry", the "joyful noise" is obviously the crying of a baby, much like "Woke the world with bawling" in Out of Control. I don't think there's a Psalm 100:1 reference to be found there.

I mean, although a great deal of them are quite plausible, I think it's a bit obsessive to search for a Bible reference in lines such as "It was a joyful noise" (Magnificent). Since that line is immediately preceded by "From the womb my first cry", the "joyful noise" is obviously the crying of a baby, much like "Woke the world with bawling" in Out of Control. I don't think there's a Psalm 100:1 reference to be found there.
I agree. You can make a Biblical reference out of any line the way the writer is seeing it.

Back
Top Bottom