Question for Catholics (or anyone else who may know)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
When I was down at the mission on Friday, there was one of those pictures of Jesus pointing to His burning heart. The card next to it said something about Him showing this heart to St. Margaret. Can someone tell me that story please?

Thanks.

St Margaret Mary had visions of Jesus exposing the Sacred Heart(burning heart) to her and so she took that has a sign for her to tell everyone to pray to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

funny story about making sure this was correct. I asked my gramma who inturned called Father Norbert(friend of her and my grandad's) and the above is what he said.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
lol kelly way to use your resources. ;)

:reject: i am a bad catholic, i never knew the meaning behind the sacred heart. :eek: :tsk:

why thankyou, iris

btw i forgot the meaning behind the sacred heart and iris you arent a bad catholic!!!

speaking of resources I have plenty of them :wink: a few extended family members are involved with the church ie priests, bishops and nuns!!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
my uncle is a former priest.

well heres the low down on my family:

Grandpa's side(my mom's dad)4 of my grandpa's siblings:
Great Uncle Jimmy was a bishop and actually work closly with the pope(photographic evidence to prove)
Aunt Maudie was a nun
Uncle Patti- was a priest
Uncle Michael- was an Irish Christian Brother
Grandpa- was a former Irish Christian Brother

Gram's side:
2 of her cousins are priests

:wink:

I didn't know about the sacred heart till now. :yikes: What will God think of me?

Now about St. Margaret:
I found a website with her biography, and I posted an excerpt of it. The whole bio is really long, so I posted the part where she started to have the visions.

Some years passed quietly in the convent, and then Margaret Mary began to have experiences which seemed to be of supernatural origin. The first of these occurred on December 27, 1673, when she was kneeling at the grille in the chapel. She felt suffused by the Divine Presence, and heard the Lord inviting her to take the place which St. John had occupied at the Last Supper. The Lord told her that the love of His heart must spread and manifest itself to men, and He would reveal its graces through her. This was the beginning of a series of revelations covering a period of eighteen months. When Margaret Mary went to the Superior, Mother de Saumaise, with an account of these mystical experiences, claiming that she, an humble nun, had been chosen as the transmitter of a new devotion to the Sacred Heart, she was reprimanded for her presumption. Seriously overwrought, Margaret Mary suffered a collapse, and became so ill that her life was despaired of. Now the Mother Superior reflected that she might have erred in scorning the nun's story and vowed that if her life were spared, she would take it as a sign that the visions and messages were truly from God. When Margaret Mary recovered, the Superior invited some theologians who happened to be in the town -they included a Jesuit and a Benedictine-to hear the story. These priests listened and judged the young nun to be a victim of delusions. Their examination had been a sheer torture to Margaret Mary. Later a Jesuit, Father Claude de la Columbiere, talked to her and was completely convinced of the genuineness of the revelations. He was to write of the nun and to inaugurate this devotion in England.

For many years the nun suffered from despair, from self-inflicted punishments, and also from the slights and contempt of those around her. In 1681 Father Claude returned to the convent and died there the following year. Margaret Mary was appointed assistant and novice-mistress by a new Mother Superior who was more sympathetic towards her. Opposition ceased-or at least was restrained-after an account of Margaret Mary's visions was read aloud in the refectory from the writings left by Father Claude, who had taken it upon himself to make known to the world the nun's remarkable experiences. That she was finally vindicated was to her a matter of indifference. When she was forty-three, while serving a second term as assistant superior, Margaret Mary fell ill. Sinking rapidly, she received the Last Sacraments, saying, "I need nothing but God, and to lose myself in the heart of Jesus."

Here's the website I found it on if you want to read her whole story

www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/MARGMARY.htm

Hope it helps!

Perle

Last edited:
wow! I'm a catholic but i had no idea who was St. Maragaret....
And i always forget the meaning behind the sacred heart too...

Slightly off-topic, but I don't want to make a new thread...

Here and there, I seem to miss Catholicism. I miss the saints and all the elaborate buildings, and the traditions I once believed in. I guess I wish I didn't feel like the Vatican pushed me out of it, that's all. Hateful old bigots...

I guess I wish I could separate the religion from the hierarchy, but when the hierarchy dictates the faith, I just can't. It's sad, really. How I once believed in something...

Melon

Melon, you don't have to miss the saints...they're all around you. The Bible says all Christians are saints.

80sU2isBest said:
Melon, you don't have to miss the saints...they're all around you. The Bible says all Christians are saints.

I know you are correct. I am probably more "liberal Protestant" now than I am "Roman Catholic." And, no, I don't *need* the traditions. I don't *need* the buildings. I don't *need* the hierarchy. But still...sometimes I miss it.

Melon

melon said:
Slightly off-topic, but I don't want to make a new thread...

Here and there, I seem to miss Catholicism. I miss the saints and all the elaborate buildings, and the traditions I once believed in. I guess I wish I didn't feel like the Vatican pushed me out of it, that's all. Hateful old bigots...

I guess I wish I could separate the religion from the hierarchy, but when the hierarchy dictates the faith, I just can't. It's sad, really. How I once believed in something...

Melon

I am with you on this.

I haven't left the Catholic church, yet, do not attend.

I love the traditions..the churches...the stigma. Just don't like the politics.

Much like Adamswildhoney, my family is deep into the Catholic Culture. My dad was a Salesian Brother. One Uncle was a well-known priest (deceased), and another uncle is a Christian Brother (french order). He has been in and out of the order for a number of years. And, to bring a little more insight into my views...he is Gay. As well as many of his friends from the order.

I am pretty close with him. We have had some great discussions. He has seen some struggles over the years.

I just hate the sexism of the Catholic church... how come Anglicans (correct me if i'm wrong on this btw) can have female priests, but Catholicism sees this as wrong?? Talk about bloody double standards :|
I say go sinead o'connor (which really has nothing what so ever to do with this at all :p)

Back
Top Bottom