New Song-Window In The Sky Spiritual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
The shackles are undone
The bullet’s quit the gun
The heat that’s in the sun
Will keep us when its done

The rule has been disproved
The stone it has been moved
The grain is now a groove
All debts are removed

Oh can’t you see what our love has done
What it’s doing to me

Love makes strange enemies
Makes love where love may please
Soul in a strip tease
Hate brought to its knees

Sky over our head
Can reach it from our bed
If you let me in your heart
And out of my head

What it’s doing to me

Oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh
Please don’t ever let me out of here!
I’ve got no shame, oh no, oh no!

Oh can’t you see what love has done
Oh can’t you see…
What it’s doing to me

I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder but you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

to every broken heart
for every heart that cries
love let a window in the skies
and to love I rhapsodize
Oh can’t you see

In my opinion this is as spiritual as anything they've ever done. It can easily be interpreted on a romantic level and on one I do..I could see myself dancing to this at my wedding, but deeper it's quite obvious what "Love" Bono is speaking of. Especially to those who may already be Believers it is likely quite obvious. It's something unlike we've heard from U2, and I love it. This will defnitely become one of my favorite U2 songs ever!

Currently Listening: "When Love Comes To Town"/U2

Hey Brit!! :wave: :hug:

It sure is!!! I can't post now, but I wrote down on a napkin my initial reactions. DEFINITELY spiritual. This song REALLY REALLY affected me personally too, but I'll save that part for another thread or journal or something.

When I get back home after the Vanilla Ice concert, I'll post it. I just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring this thread :) I like hearing your interpretations of the songs that we both love.

Glad you posted this, as I was going to bed and listening on my ipod for the 50th time :drool: The words hit me: My interpretation of the song is:

The grave is now a groove
All debts are removed

Jesus died for our sins and has risen and forgave you.

Soul in a strip tease

Love for a country, a person, a thing, etc. Love brings hate down.
Gods loves everyone. The soul peeling of its layers, repentance.

Sky over our head
And out of my head

You can reach heaven if you let God in your heart. Its not just a thought.

And to love I rhapsodize

The only sin I haven't committed was murder, sinning makes God cry, but Gods arms are always open, thus, Window in the Skies and that kind of love can get you enthusiastic.

to every broken heart
and to love I rhapsodize
Oh can’t you see

Simply stated can't you see all the things Gods love for us has done?

JCOSTER said:
Glad you posted this, as I was going to bed and listening on my ipod for the 50th time :drool: The words hit me: My interpretation of the song is:

All debts are removed

Soul in a strip tease

Sky over our head
And out of my head

And to love I rhapsodize

The only sin I haven't committed was murder, sinning makes God cry, but Gods arms are always open, thus, Window in the Skies and that kind of love can get you enthusiastic.

to every broken heart
and to love I rhapsodize
Oh can’t you see

Good take, I think you're pretty spot on!

redhotswami said:
Hey Brit!! :wave: :hug:

It sure is!!! I can't post now, but I wrote down on a napkin my initial reactions. DEFINITELY spiritual. This song REALLY REALLY affected me personally too, but I'll save that part for another thread or journal or something.

When I get back home after the Vanilla Ice concert, I'll post it. I just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring this thread :) I like hearing your interpretations of the songs that we both love.

Vanilla Ice? WOO!!! Frick yes! "Word to your mother!" :lmao: I'm so jealous of you MIA!

JCOSTER said:

All debts are removed

Soul in a strip tease

Sky over our head
And out of my head

And to love I rhapsodize

to every broken heart
and to love I rhapsodize
Oh can’t you see

I absolutely love that interpretation! That is essentially what I was thinking. The line "Love left a window in the skies" is a clincher for me. To me, it means Love or God left a way for us to reach Him and his Grace through the death/resurection of Jesus leading to His Salvation or "Window" if we choose to accept it and let him in our heart. I LOVE this song!

Currently Listening: "What You Know"/T.I.

Window in Skies = The Beatles meet the Rev. Billy Graham

Note "Window" is singular - Only "one" way through....

There are times when it almost sounds like Bono is singing,
"Oh can't you see what the Lord has done?"

Westport said:
There are times when it almost sounds like Bono is singing,
"Oh can't you see what the Lord has done?"

That's what I keep hearing too!

Yeah, he often does that. If you listen to live versions of certain songs, Bono often changes "love" to "Lord." It's a cool thing.

This is definitely his most blatant Gospel song.

I like the interpretation above, although I take the word "rhapsodize" as almost a prayerful/worshipful word.

Also, someone mentioned the song possibly being about a romantic relationship on one level. Many Christians write songs that way (Jars of Clay is another band that does so). It makes the lyrics more ambiguous and adds an intimate level to it, too.

I think it's cool they put such an obvious Gospel/worship song on their definitive best of. :up:

coemgen said:
Yeah, he often does that. If you listen to live versions of certain songs, Bono often changes "love" to "Lord." It's a cool thing.

This is definitely his most blatant Gospel song.

I like the interpretation above, although I take the word "rhapsodize" as almost a prayerful/worshipful word.

Also, someone mentioned the song possibly being about a romantic relationship on one level. Many Christians write songs that way (Jars of Clay is another band that does so). It makes the lyrics more ambiguous and adds an intimate level to it, too.

I think it's cool they put such an obvious Gospel/worship song on their definitive best of. :up:

Absolutely agree!:applaud: I could totally see this as a romantic song too, and what's wrong with that? The Bible does say we are the "Bride of Christ" When I saw "rhapsodize" I looked it up in the dictionary althoug I knew what it meant to get a real definition for it and it says "extravagantly emotional", it directed me to "rapturous" which meant "an expression or manifestation of ecstasy or passion", " a state or emotion of being carried away by overwhelming emotion", or "a mystical experience in which the spirit is exalted to a knowledge of divine things." So I think we can conclude that Bono is talking about romantic love on one level and his love for Jesus because of Salvation on another. Amazing son!!

Gotta agree with everything that's been said in this thread ;)

Bono's voice in this song seems like it's floating on air - almost angelic.

I become very emotional when listening to him sing this song.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I just started listening to this extremely close (which I thought I was doing) Listen to the chorus (the first time it's repeated) and then the second time. I am now hearing for the first time of the chorus "Oh can't you see what our Lord has done, oh can't you see what our Lord has done, oh can't you see what our Lord has done, what He's doing to me." I can tell a difference in the first repeat of the chorus and the second. I believe he really is talking about romantic love, but on the deeper and much more profound level the love he's received from God through his relationship with Jesus. This might be more noticeable if you can listen with earphones.

Wow, I'm rereading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philip Yancey right now (there's a thread about it here somewhere), and I just saw a line that jolted me in a good way. He is speaking of the failure of the church to spread the Grace of God to society in many ways. This line jumped out at me: "All too often the church holds up mirror reflecting back the society around it, rather than a WINDOW revealing a different way." Methinks, this wasn't a coincidence on God's part at this particular moment.:wink:

U2isthebest said:
Wow, I'm rereading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philip Yancey right now (there's a thread about it here somewhere), and I just saw a line that jolted me in a good way. He is speaking of the failure of the church to spread the Grace of God to society in many ways. This line jumped out at me: "All too often the church holds up mirror reflecting back the society around it, rather than a WINDOW revealing a different way." Methinks, this wasn't a coincidence on God's part at this particular moment.:wink:

Hi Britt, How r ya? I still haven't finished that book yet. I'm a slow reader, but must say I do love and found alot of what Bono talks about recently has had to have come from that book. I wouldn't be surprised if he got some inspiration for WITS from the book.

JCOSTER said:

Hi Britt, How r ya? I still haven't finished that book yet. I'm a slow reader, but must say I do love and found alot of what Bono talks about recently has had to have come from that book. I wouldn't be surprised if he got some inspiration for WITS from the book.

JC!:hug: I'm fine, thank you! How about yourself? Isn't it amazing? I agree Bono has definitely been influenced by that book, and quite frankly all Believers should be! I just ordered another book of his called "The Jesus I Never Knew", and I can't wait for it to get here.

JCOSTER said:
When Bono is using the word Rhapsodized I believe he means as an embracement or as in wonder of Gods love!

I agree! I knew the word, but I wanted to look it up anyway, and it say "extravagant emotion and passion" or something along those lines. I am quite sure that's what Bono had in mind.

U2isthebest said:
The shackles are undone
The bullet’s quit the gun
The heat that’s in the sun
Will keep us when its done

The grain is now a groove
All debts are removed

What it’s doing to me

Soul in a strip tease

Sky over our head
And out of my head

What it’s doing to me

Oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh
Please don’t ever let me out of here!
I’ve got no shame, oh no, oh no!

Oh can’t you see…
What it’s doing to me

And to love I rhapsodize

to every broken heart
and to love I rhapsodize
Oh can’t you see

In my opinion this is as spiritual as anything they've ever done. It can easily be interpreted on a romantic level and on one I do..I could see myself dancing to this at my wedding, but deeper it's quite obvious what "Love" Bono is speaking of. Especially to those who may already be Believers it is likely quite obvious. It's something unlike we've heard from U2, and I love it. This will defnitely become one of my favorite U2 songs ever!

Currently Listening: "When Love Comes To Town"/U2

I haven`t herd it yet,and I can`t find it either:sigh:

U2isthebest said:
one quick note: in the first verse it's "The grave is now a groove". I think that too would certainly add to the spiritual message!:wink:

I've seen other people think this line is "The grain is now a groove" that's what u2 wanderer has as well. I can't tell for sure what the guy is saying. if it is grain, do you know what that might be referring to?

pattip2000 said:

I've seen other people think this line is "The grain is now a groove" that's what u2 wanderer has as well. I can't tell for sure what the guy is saying. if it is grain, do you know what that might be referring to?

I don't. I now know that's wrong...It could also be "grade" (It's definitely not grain, though from what I've heard listening to it over and over.) Most people are saying "grade" and I could hear that, but I could also hear "grave" which would make more sense I believe. However, we'll have to wait and see until the official lyrics come out. (They're sometimes wrong too though:wink: )

Back
Top Bottom