New Song-Window In The Sky Spiritual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2isthebest said:

I don't. I now know that's wrong...It could also be "grade" (It's definitely not grain, though from what I've heard listening to it over and over.) Most people are saying "grade" and I could hear that, but I could also hear "grave" which would make more sense I believe. However, we'll have to wait and see until the official lyrics come out. (They're sometimes wrong too though:wink: )

I am 99% sure Bono sings grave, the grave is now a groove, meaning the grave is empty, Jesus has risen.

JCOSTER said:

I am 99% sure Bono sings grave, the grave is now a groove, meaning the grave is empty, Jesus has risen.

I hear that too...but then every once in awhile I hear "grade" I think it's "grave" simply because it makes more sense in the context of the song (it dawned on me...perhaps people are missing the point of Bono calling it the "eternal song" :hmm: ) After a live performance we'll know better, or like I said after the official lyrics are released, which can be off too. For example, in "LAPOE" the CD jacket lyrics say "You don't have time for a jealous lover", but Bono actually sings "You don't have time before a jealous lover." (quite a big difference. LOL) Nice to see you JC!:hug:

Influence

U2isthebest said:
Wow, I'm rereading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philip Yancey right now (there's a thread about it here somewhere), and I just saw a line that jolted me in a good way. He is speaking of the failure of the church to spread the Grace of God to society in many ways. This line jumped out at me: "All too often the church holds up mirror reflecting back the society around it, rather than a WINDOW revealing a different way." Methinks, this wasn't a coincidence on God's part at this particular moment.:wink:

Bono is definitely influenced by Yancey, he plugged this book repeatedly in interviews for a while along with Eugene Peterson's "The Message".

Dana

The shackles are undone
The bullet’s quit the gun
The heat that’s in the sun
Will keep us when its done
The rule has been disproved
The stone it has been moved
The grain is now a groove
All debts are removed

Okay the stone part reminds me of when Mary went to Jesus' tomb and discovered it had been moved and he wasn't there.
The debts being removed makes me think of Africa and Jubilee 2000. What a brilliant introduction to a song, it is about new beginnings and second chances! Oh my gosh it just BAM takes you right there!

Oh can’t you see what our love has done
What it’s doing to me

So, I think this is showing us how love brings us to transcendence...I'll explain later...

Love makes strange enemies
Makes love where love may please
Soul in a strip tease
Hate brought to its knees

The soul in a strip tease...what a visual! That just shows that love is a dying to our selves. In love we let go of what walls we build, and the negative feelings. We bear our souls, our inner higher self, and let go of what is negative and holding us back (hate brought to its knees). Wow, that love sure is some powerful stuff!

Sky over our head
Can reach it from our bed
If you let me in your heart
And out of my head

Again this goes back to the spiritual transcendence that sprouts from love in a relationship. The reaching the sky from our bed...often the sky is attributed to Heaven, or God. I believe this is talking about experiencing God through love from a relationship (that's what the bed refers to I think). That one special person can take you higher, can help you see another dimension of God just by their love.

Oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh

Quite profound lyrics here. Bono finally reveals some of life's most sacred mysteries right here in these 2 lines

:wink:

I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder but you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

Oh can’t you see what love has done
to every broken heart
Oh can’t you see what love has done
for every heart that cries
love let a window in the skies
and to love I rhapsodize

So this is the big smack in the face of the song. What a powerful ending. It speaks of grace!!! Love allows for miracles to happen, even during the worst of times. Love will rescue us. We can wait and hope and it will come and save us from our despair.

The chorus is a reminder of sorts. Like, Bono is saying taking us through this journey, a journey he went through himself. And the "oh cant you see" tells us there is light (or window, rather) at the end of the tunnel. The window is the hope. Reminds me of the phrase "God doesn't close a door without opening a window."
Like Bono is saying "oh I've been there, but look at me now! Look what love has done to me!" I like how it is what love has done TO me, instead of FOR me. That just shows that it is beyond our control.
We know that we can't choose who we love or when we fall in love...it happens. It is so much more powerful than we are.

So yeah, spiritual transcendence through relationship, and to have hope and faith in love. Those are my big themes. I absolutely LOVE it when Bono ties relationship with God. I too believe they are intertwined, which is why this may very well be my new favorite song :)

Sorry for the delay Britt! That was my napkin...if I have anymore thoughts I'll be sure to share them!

Oops forgot to add (though I think someone already said this ) that the to love I rhapsodize part is like, a praise of gratitude. What a beautiful and underused word. I'm gonna try and use it more in my vocabulary now!

I've nothing to add that hasn't already been said, except that I LOVE this song. It makes me want to turn it up, go out on my deck, and just sing along! (and it hate singing and it's 30 degrees out on the deck)

Liesje said:
I've nothing to add that hasn't already been said, except that I LOVE this song. It makes me want to turn it up, go out on my deck, and just sing along! (and it hate singing and it's 30 degrees out on the deck)

:lol: that definitely says something about its quality.

30 degrees???? :shocked: I'll stop complaining about the weather here.

Wow, I like those interpretations, they make me love this song now even more. It's quite a simple song, but the message is very powerful. It's very beautiful.

Liesje said:

:lmao:

it's a great song, but i've been taking it as a sort of "drop the debt and this is what will happen" africa-type song.

:shrug:

but i can see the Resurrection interpretation.

U2isthebest said:
Wow, I'm rereading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philip Yancey right now (there's a thread about it here somewhere), and I just saw a line that jolted me in a good way. He is speaking of the failure of the church to spread the Grace of God to society in many ways. This line jumped out at me: "All too often the church holds up mirror reflecting back the society around it, rather than a WINDOW revealing a different way." Methinks, this wasn't a coincidence on God's part at this particular moment.:wink:

This is insane. That quote, along with the one about recognizing one's impurity/faults, are the 2 that have stuck out 4 me since I finished this book this weekend.

I IMMEDIATELY thought of Window In The Skies when I read it. It's funny how it's taken me months 2 read the book, and I get 2 that part at the end after this song has come out. Wow....

The Disciple said:

This is insane. That quote, along with the one about recognizing one's impurity/faults, are the 2 that have stuck out 4 me since I finished this book this weekend.

I IMMEDIATELY thought of Window In The Skies when I read it. It's funny how it's taken me months 2 read the book, and I get 2 that part at the end after this song has come out. Wow....

:ohmy: Wow. That is crazy! I read this quote on the day the single came out I believe, and I remember it was quite late, and I was getting tired, but as soon as I read that, I sat bolt upright. LOL. I don't believe, like I said it was coincidence at all. God knows what He's doing.

U2isthebest said:

:ohmy: Wow. That is crazy! I read this quote on the day the single came out I believe, and I remember it was quite late, and I was getting tired, but as soon as I read that, I sat bolt upright. LOL. I don't believe, like I said it was coincidence at all. God knows what He's doing.

Amen 2 that. :yes:

justinlacy said:
Window in Skies = The Beatles meet the Rev. Billy Graham

Note "Window" is singular - Only "one" way through....
yep. it's right!!

first time I heard this song I thought it was so-so
But this morning I was on a train on my way to my job and this songs really impress me -- and made me realise what love is doing to me right now... :wink:

and it's... wow!

This song is very spiritual! I love it!

I've often thought of this song as being about different kinds of love, with each verse referring to a seperate type. I might be totally wrong on this but here's my amateur analysis:

The shackles are undone
The bullet’s quit the gun
The heat that’s in the sun
Will keep us when its done

= Mercy, compassion, love towards fellow man.

The rule has been disproved
The stone it has been moved
The grave is now a groove
All debts are removed

= Grace, unmerited love and forgiveness from God. Obviouisly about Jesus.

Love makes strange enemies
Makes love where love may please
Soul in a strip tease
Hate brought to its knees

= Romantic love as felt when first falling in love.

Sky over our head
Can reach it from our bed
If you let me in your heart
And out of my head

= Companionate love. In psychology I learned that as a romantic relationship matures - like in a marriage - the immediate excitement of falling in love fades away and is replaced by a deeper and stronger love felt between two companions. This verse reminds me of that, especially as it follows the more romantic verse.

I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder but you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize

= Love that can forgive anything, coming from God, from the significant other, or from both.

Does anyone remember what the four types of love are that are often talked about in Christian circles? I know one is Agape, but I don't remember the others. I've wondered if this song might coincide with those somehow.

:love: WOW! If I ever had a doubt that U2's songs have the power of God behind them I don't anymore. A couple of my friends and I were just driving on this little island which is near where we live, when it started snowing like crazy. I couldn't see out the front window more than 10 feet. It was basically a complete white-out. My friends wanted to listen to the hip-hop station (you know, since we're so ghetto being white middle-class girls:lol:) It kept getting worse and worse. We turned the radio down all the way, and my friend in the passenger seat started fiddling with because she was nervous. All of a sudden I heard "Window In The Skies" start, and I told her to leave it there. They all hate U2, so I didn't tell them who it was.:wink: All of a sudden the snow slowed down, and by the end of the song it had basically stopped completely. Some might call it a coincidence, but I'm with those who believe nothing just happens. Sorry, for someone as easily scared as I am, that was just what I needed from God at the time!

Back
Top Bottom