Magnificent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Magnificent is loaded with biblical themes and references, as reading through the lyrics this morning, and kept coming back to several ideas in it. I made some notes, that point to biblical ideas throughout the song. There really isn't a single verse that is not loaded with biblical ideas.

"Magnificent" *1

Magnificent
Oh, magnificent

I was born
I was born to be with you *2

In this space and time

After that and ever after
I haven't had a clue
Only to break rhyme
This foolishness can leave a heart
Black and blue *3

Only love
Only love can leave such a mark *4
But only love
Only love can heal such a scar *5

I was born
I was born to sing for you *2

I didn’t have a choice
But to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice *6
From the womb my first cry
It was a joyful noise *7
Oh, oh

Only love
Only love can leave such a mark

But only love
Only love can heal such a scar *8 & *9

Justified till we die *9
You and I will magnify *10

Oh, the magnificent
Magnificent
Only love
Only love can leave such a mark
But only love
Only love unites our hearts

Justified till we die
You and I will magnify
Oh, the magnificent

Magnificent
Magnificent

*1 Luke 1:46-55 'The Magnificat'
And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent empty away. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, as he spoke to our fathers,to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”

*2 **(Man created for in God's image, in that we are made for relationship (as the trinity displays perfect relationship. We were made for HIS immediate presences) Gen 1:27 God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
Gen 3:8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. **(Implied here, before the fall Adam and Eve walked with God in the garden- spending time with God in His immediate presence) **

*3 Gen 3:6-7 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.7Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.

Romans 6:21-23 But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? The end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

*4 Is 53:3-6 He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Lk 23:33-34 And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

*5 Jn 20:26-28 Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.”Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

*6 Rom 15:9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, “Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name.”

*7 Ps 100:1 A Psalm for giving thanks. Make a joyful noise to the Lord , all the earth! + about 15 other references in Psalms.

*8 Rev 21:3-4 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

*9 Romans 3:20-28 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, though the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.
It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith. For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

*10 Ps 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song;I will magnify him with thanksgiving.

Really great Biblical insight. I was immediately drawn to this song as a religious expression. I saw them sing it on Letterman the other night and Bono had his hands raised like praise singers do.

If you view the song as being sung to God, and then refer to all the verses above, this could be the subject of a Bible study class. My favorite line is "From the womb my first cry it was a joyful noise..."

Bono was given a musical talent and he gives it back to God.

Also the "love" that leaves the mark and the "love" that heals the scar can be Christ. MAGNIFICENT!

This is another great example of Bono using "Love" in reference to God. He does that a lot.

"Magnificent" is one of the most overtly Christian U2 songs around. It's interesting how it's being played in secular environments and exposing people to this Christian message, probably without most of them even realizing it!

It's interesting how it's being played in secular environments and exposing people to this Christian message, probably without most of them even realizing it!

They've been playing it on the tv show Brothers and Sisters-without any Christian context whatsoever. They also played Running To Stand Still once, so I think they just have a U2 fan on their staff and they don't even care that the songs have no relation to the plotlines.

"Magnificent" IS a truly amazing Praise Song- it is suprising that it is not (yet) played in regular rotation on Christian Contemporary Radio.

Thank you jphelmet for your excellent insight into the Scriptural foundations.

Last edited:
A great song!

Bono and U2 have always reminded my of this
quote I read years ago:

'Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop, within a yard of hell.'

~C.T. Studd

Every time I hear this song I think, this is the ultimate praise song!! Neat-o to see others agree. I like the quote above too. :)

Back
Top Bottom