just a few quick questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
Hi everyone! I'm glad to be here! I just had a few quick questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me.

1. Has Bono or any of the other members of U2 ever talked specifically about their salvation experiences? I don't doubt that they're saved. It's quite evident, especially Bono being so outspoken about his faith. I was just wondering if he's ever mentioned when he got saved.

2. I can tell from many U2 lyrics that Bono speaks on the necessity of salvation. However many Christians, wrongly, get upset b/c they feel he doesn't mention the need for a salvation experience or mention hell enough. I was just wondering if he's ever acknowledged this. Once again, too many Christians think that the best way to win souls is to tell them "You'll go to hell, if you don't get saved." Tried by yours truly in the past, not such a good idea. However, hell is real and is where anyone who hasn't accepted Jesus will spend eternity, according to God. I was just wondering if Bono's ever mentioned it.

3. Lastly, has Bono or any of the other members of U2 ever given their views on praying in Tounges. I thought I read somewhere that Bono spoke about loving a book that advocated it. I was just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me!

Thanks in advance and God Bless!

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

Hey, so you managed to post after all. I must have been thinking about some other rule (polls, maybe?)
In the new book (and I've not finished it yet), he does talk about #1 and #3. I don't have time right now to type up the quotes, or even summarize, but I'll try to do that in the next couple of days.
I've not seen him address #2 anywhere.

Thanks! Just make sure you post when you get a chance! I'm pretty sure, he's made 2 clear. He told the Los Angeles Times in 2005, "...I genuinely believe that second only to personal redemption, the most important thing in the Scriptures — 2,103 passages in all — refers to taking care of the world's poor." He recently said at a conference at Bill Hybel's church last month, "Next to personal salvation and redemption, the main thrust of the Scriptures is to meet Christ in working with the poor." I think that spells out his beliefs pretty clearly. Thanks for your help, and like I said, when you have time just post what you know!
:happy: :happy: :happy:

i don't think Bono worries about being "saved." i think the term would sound terribly exclusive and elitist to him.

He does mention Salvation often, so I'm pretty sure he believes in being saved. It's in the quotes I posted above. Salvation and redemption are the same thing. God Bless!!

Currently Listening: Album/Artist-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb/U2 Song: "Crumbs From Your Table"

"What no man can own....No man can take." Yahweh-U2

Salvation

Bono has spoken about a moment I believe after his mother's death when he was in a very bad way crying out to God and being answered. He does not go into a great deal of detail and does not try to convince anyone that it was actually God, but he said that he clearly felt he had been answered and that is the rock that his faith is built on. He has also stated that he believes all prayers are answered, but sometimes the answer is no.

Dana

Thanks! I agree w/the second statement he made. As for the first, he shouldn't have to (convince anyone that is) if it was God, Bono knows it, and it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say about it. God Bless!!

U2isthebest said:
Salvation and redemption are the same thing.

Can you explain further? Sorry, I'm a bit of a theology nerd, so this type of thing gets me thinking....

It seems to me that being "saved" implies you are rescued from something else. Being redeemed is more of being returned to your original, pure state of being. I've always understood that God through Christ does both, but I'm not sure they're the same thing....

I know The Bible uses both words and doesn't really make a disctinction. You are spot on w/your definition of redemption. With Salvation, being "saved" in Biblical terms means pretty much the same thing. I think Salvation has more of a "I'm saved or "rescued" from going to hell if I ask Jesus to forgive me." connotation. Therefore, I am "redeemed" to my original state of perfection w/God. I hope that helps at least a little bit.
God Bless!!

U2isthebest said:
I know The Bible uses both words and doesn't really make a disctinction.

I don't think the Bible itself offers a clear distinction, but the root-words used show us that the theological concept of "redemption" is slightly different than our everyday understanding. I did not realize this until I read this thread and looked into it further. I think this is a good statement:
Though closely allied to salvation, redemption is more specific, for it denotes the means by which salvation is achieved, namely, by the payment of a ransom. [....] No word in the Christian vocabulary deserves to be held more precious than Redeemer, for even more than Savior it reminds the child of God that his salvation has been purchased at a great and personal cost, for the Lord has given himself for our sins in order to deliver us from them.

"Though closely allied to salvation, redemption is more specific, for it denotes the means by which salvation is achieved, namely, by the payment of a ransom. [....] No word in the Christian vocabulary deserves to be held more precious than Redeemer, for even more than Savior it reminds the child of God that his salvation has been purchased at a great and personal cost, for the Lord has given himself for our sins in order to deliver us from them. "

I love that! I think it's a perfect distinction between the two, while explaining how they're intertwined also! Thank you for that. Do you know where it's from? God Bless!!

Back
Top Bottom