Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learn2kneel

War Child
I've herad some people say that this is Bono claiming all these religions are true.
I think it s more of him saying these three religions all came from father Abraham and we need to realize our origins and stop fighting, love and peace.
What do you think? Is Bono saying that Jesus is not the only way?

"I've herad some people say that this is Bono claiming all these religions are true."

What some people say?

People say all kinds of things don't they?

Do you have a quote from Bono?

nbcrusader said:
All Bono is asking is for the three religions to coexist.

I've been a dedicated Bono apologist for years and it doesn't sound like that to me. Even spoken in Bono-ese.

This will seriously damage my respect for Bono if it is true. :eyebrow:

His head band actually spells out the word "coexist", using the symbols of the crescent for the "c", the star of David for the "x" and the cross for the "t".

"His head band actually spells out the word "coexist", using the symbols of the crescent for the "c", the star of David for the "x" and the cross for the "t".

Head band?

Where did this happen?

I'm not saying what you are saying is not true, I would
just like to know exactly what you mean. I'm a little lost
on what you posted.

As a believer in that rebel from Narareth, I agree that I (and other believers) should peacefully "coexist" with others who have a different faith or nonfaith.

No problem.

I am still waiting to see a quote from Bono saying all religions are the same.

C.S. Lewis put it very well: All religions contain some truth, but only in Christ do we find the Truth.

*my quick Lewis paraphrase* :)

Last edited:
the iron horse said:
"His head band actually spells out the word "coexist", using the symbols of the crescent for the "c", the star of David for the "x" and the cross for the "t".

Head band?

Where did this happen?

I'm not saying what you are saying is not true, I would
just like to know exactly what you mean. I'm a little lost
on what you posted.

As a believer in that rebel from Narareth, I agree that I (and other believers) should peacefully "coexist" with others who have a different faith or nonfaith.

No problem.

I am still waiting to see a quote from Bono saying all religions are the same.

C.S. Lewis put it very well: All religions contain some truth, but only in Christ do we find the Truth.

*my quick Lewis paraphrase* :)

Exactly...Fact is, Jesus said only through Him would we get 2 the Father. U either believe that, or U don't.

biff said:
His head band actually spells out the word "coexist", using the symbols of the crescent for the "c", the star of David for the "x" and the cross for the "t".

This exhortation to 'coexist' and the statement 'Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true...' don't seem to have any logical correlation to me.

There's a difference between coexistance and inter-faith dialogue and accepting essential truth in all three religions.

I've never noticed any hint of unitarianism or pan-theism like this from Bono before.

His embrace of Catholicism recently seems to have a lot to do with his apparent obsession with the death of his father...but maybe the RC is the direction he's heading in.

I've always respected Bono as the leading Christian thinker in music but I think Nick Cave is rapidly gaining on him.

Cave isn't ambiguous about his faith and hasn't gotten into trendy unitarian thinking. This is from a recent article...

Cave told me that he does not go to church, and that he is not affiliated with any particular branch of Christianity, but there is no question that his God is a Christian God. When I asked Cave if he had any interest in other religions, or in a broader, non-religious spirituality, he replied, "Oh, a passing, skeptical kind of interest. I'm a hammer-and-nails kind of guy."

It really doesn't bother me in a major way. My faith doesn't rely on someone like Bono. But if he compromises the Christian gospel...to me he's just another rich, philanthropic rock star.

Bad Templar said:

I've been a dedicated Bono apologist for years and it doesn't sound like that to me. Even spoken in Bono-ese.

Why would that damage your respect? Would you rather see him support war between the religions?

learn2kneel said:
I've herad some people say that this is Bono claiming all these religions are true.
I think it s more of him saying these three religions all came from father Abraham and we need to realize our origins and stop fighting, love and peace.
What do you think? Is Bono saying that Jesus is not the only way?

Dunno, but if they administered a theology exam at the gates of heaven, I think we'd all flunk parts of it.

Bad Templar said:

Unbelievable.

Yeah, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me." Proof positive that Christianity should take over the world and other religions should never be encouraged to "coexist" with it.

I'm a devout Christian, but that kind of exclusionary, fundamentalist thinking is ridiculous...and dangerous.

It really doesn't bother me in a major way. My faith doesn't rely on someone like Bono. But if he compromises the Christian gospel...to me he's just another rich, philanthropic rock star. [\QUOTE]

I think the meaning of the headband and Bono's words are meant to exhort coexistance. The "Lay down your guns/ All you daughters of Zion/ All you Abraham's sons" lyric says it very plainly. For anyone that hasn't noticed, Christians, Jews, and Muslims don't always get along, esp. in the Middle East. :ohmy:

Bono has not gone unitarian. Read "Bono: In Conversation" and you'll see where his heart is at.

Btw, the Chicago Tribune reviewer that scorned Bono's "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true" line for not including other religions such as Buddhism was beyond stupidity. He did not have a clue as to what Bono meant by this, it went right over his head.

2Hearts said:
It really doesn't bother me in a major way. My faith doesn't rely on someone like Bono. But if he compromises the Christian gospel...to me he's just another rich, philanthropic rock star. [\QUOTE]

I think the meaning of the headband and Bono's words are meant to exhort coexistance. The "Lay down your guns/ All you daughters of Zion/ All you Abraham's sons" lyric says it very plainly. For anyone that hasn't noticed, Christians, Jews, and Muslims don't always get along, esp. in the Middle East. :ohmy:

Bono has not gone unitarian. Read "Bono: In Conversation" and you'll see where his heart is at.

Thanks for bringing some sanity, I'm glad there are some that get it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Thanks for bringing some sanity, I'm glad there are some that get it.

Can you tell me exactly where the insanity has been in this thread? (i.e. justify your statement).

Thanks 2Hearts, but I still can't see how the coexistance themes of Bono's LAPOE performance and the statement relate.

"Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true"....what's true?...obviously no-one's allowed to ask.

LPU2 said:
Unbelievable.

Yeah, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me." Proof positive that Christianity should take over the world and other religions should never be encouraged to "coexist" with it.

I'm a devout Christian, but that kind of exclusionary, fundamentalist thinking is ridiculous...and dangerous.

Enter strawman. :blahblah:

Can't anyone discuss U2 anymore without it degenerating into ad hominum attacks and deliberate misrepresentation of the opponent's argument?

Last edited:
the iron horse said:
"I've herad some people say that this is Bono claiming all these religions are true."

What some people say?

People say all kinds of things don't they?

The Chicago Tribune and one other major reviewer said it, I've had a few friends ask, "does this mean Bono isn't a Christian anymore?"
It's a confusing statement but I agree with 2Hearts and have read In Conversations. I know where his heart is... Faith by Grace.

Bad Templar said:

Is that what I said? No.

See below...

There's a difference between coexistance and inter-faith dialogue and accepting essential truth in all three religions.

You said you'd lose respect for Bono is coexistance is what he was getting at. We all live on this planet. We have to co-exist, if we don't co-exist then we wipe out the others. This is exactly what's taught by religious extremest groups. Extremest don't want co-existence, they want their religion and that's it.

I'm not sure why this is hard for some to understand.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You said you'd lose respect for Bono is coexistance is what he was getting at. We all live on this planet. We have to co-exist, if we don't co-exist then we wipe out the others. This is exactly what's taught by religious extremest groups. Extremest don't want co-existence, they want their religion and that's it.

I'm not sure why this is hard for some to understand.

Wrong again.....look back.....I was actually disagreeing with nbcrusader's assertion that Bono was simply urging coexistance with his "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true" statement.

I upheld the concept of coexistance and inter-faith dialogue.

I'm not sure why it is hard for some to comprehend the English language.

Last edited:
Bad Templar said:

Wrong again.....look back.....I was actually disagreeing with nbcrusader's assertion that Bono was simply urging coexistance with his "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true" statement.

I upheld the concept of coexistance and inter-faith dialogue.

I'm not sure why it is hard for some to comprehend the English language.

I'm not following you. You "uphold the concept of coexistance and inter-faith dialogue"?

I agree with NBC's comment. During the show Bono's wearing a blindfold during LAPOE with the symbol's of these three major religions spelling out COEXIST. So NBC's comment is no stretch of the imagination, it's there in black and white. The COEXIST symbols also show up in the limited edition artwork spanning over the planet. The symbols spell out the word, the symbols stand alone and do not merge, this isn't any unitarian idea. They don't spell out unite. COEXIST. Right now you and I both exist on this planet we may disagree, we may come from different walks of life, etc but right now we both exist here together. We COEXIST, Bono's just asking why can't different religions do the same.

Christians, Muslims and Jews are all connected by Abraham. They all share the same heritage....

I believe in faith by grace, but at the same time I am not so quick to put a chainlink fence around the ways of grace either since the very essence of grace is about extending beauty towards those who seem undeserving of it in the first place.

Perhaps Bono meant to make a statement about people killing each other in the name of religion when in fact we are really considered siblings in God's eyes. Maybe he was talking about the overshadowing of relgiousity in the place of God. Maybe Bono just wanted to make a statement that would get you to look at yourself and find an answer to a question of your own....I'm still contemplating what I think it means in relation to myself, as I have a mixed faith background. I haven't come up with a answer yet but I'm still learning in the meanwhile.

Last edited:
This is getting really boring, but I'll continue....

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm not following you. You "uphold the concept of coexistance and inter-faith dialogue"?

You accuse me of disagreeing with Bono's call for religious coexistance:-

You said you'd lose respect for Bono is coexistance is what he was getting at.

Which I denied because I in no way implied such a thing, I had previously said:-

Perhaps not strictly upholding the values of coexistance, but at the very least neutral on th issue...not opposing Bono's call for coexistance.

What, in fact, I was disagreeing with was nbcrusader's response to learn to kneel's question regarding the meaning of the statement "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true". See below.

All Bono is asking is for the three religions to coexist.

I felt (and still feel) that this explanation (nor any other on this thread) adequately addressed the meaning of "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true".

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I agree with NBC's comment. During the show Bono's wearing a blindfold during LAPOE with the symbol's of these three major religions spelling out COEXIST. So NBC's comment is no stretch of the imagination, it's there in black and white. The COEXIST symbols also show up in the limited edition artwork spanning over the planet. The symbols spell out the word, the symbols stand alone and do not merge, this isn't any unitarian idea. They don't spell out unite. COEXIST. Right now you and I both exist on this planet we may disagree, we may come from different walks of life, etc but right now we both exist here together. We COEXIST, Bono's just asking why can't different religions do the same.

It's quite obvious you think I'm mentally deficient but I can assure you that I friggin' GET the 'coexist'-headband-symbol thing ....it's a trite motherhood statement at best and begs the question 'how exactly Bono?' Perhaps it would be more interesting if Bono actually gave his insights on 'how' this coexistance could be achieved. Maybe it would be worth the concert admission.

This is a forum to discuss U2/Bono's spirituality...the statement... "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true"... is a new development in Bono's public expression of his spirituality.

It doesn't seem anyone is willing or capable to rationally discuss the statement without labelling the opposing view insane, dangerous or fundamentalist.

Bad Templar, I'm an atheist so I kinda skimmed the religious bits in Bono on Bono . Have you read it? Its on special in Big W for $29.89. Dunno if that book will answer you question but its worth a shot.

beli said:
Bad Templar, I'm an atheist so I kinda skimmed the religious bits in Bono on Bono . Have you read it? Its on special in Big W for $29.89. Dunno if that book will answer you question but its worth a shot.

Thanks Beli. I've read nearly everything there is by Bono or about Bono's spirituality...but not that book.

Apparently it has a lot about his new-found sympathies with the Roman Catholic Church which surprised me a bit. :huh:

Oh, I only skimmed the religious bits but he didnt come over as full-on Catholic to me. He was talking about Karma and Grace a fair bit. I still dont get it. He reckons Grace is "As you reap, so will you sow" which is exactly what I think Karma is, well, maybe Karma is "As you sow, so will you reap". lol. Im not helping am I ?

beli said:
He reckons Grace is "As you reap, so will you sow" which is exactly what I think Karma is, well, maybe Karma is "As you sow, so will you reap". lol. Im not helping am I ?

:D

Funny, the Buddhists accuse Bono of always leaving them out. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom