Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hello all,
Some of you may remember me, others may not. I haven't been around for a long time. I just wanted to tell you all what my brother said.

My eldest is brother is over 50 (I'm 37), and is one of the most faithful Christians I have ever known. He was in town this weekend and saw a picture of Bono (the one from the Joshua Tree where the band is standing in the foreground with the tree in the background - Bono is wearing his white undershirt). My brother isn't a U2 fan (he doesn't like rock), but when he saw that picture, he said "I see Christ in him". I said "In who?", and he said "In Bono".

Well, that's all I wanted to say. I don't really have time to post much, but I wanted to make sure I told ya'll about that.

God Bless Ya,
Mike

Mike - your brother is a wise man who sees with his Heart and Soul and not only with his eyes. :yes:

I know I get raked over the coals all the time for saying this but I see Christ in Bono too.

The heart of Christ, the Soul of Christ, the Loving Kindness and Forgiveness of Christ, the MESSAGE OF CHRIST IS REFLECTED DIRECTLY AT US AS CLEARLY AS POSSIBLE BY BONO'S PRESENCE - it is only up to us to be wise and humble enough to admit it.:hug:

Thanks for posting this - it really elevated my day!

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Hi everyone, thanks for the greetings.

I'll be stopping by from time to time, to read and maybe even post.

One thing I won't even allow myself to look at is the Free Your Mind section. Those political discussions are addicting for me.

God bless ya'll

I hear Christ in their music

80's,

You may not remember me...I've only posted in this forum a few times...mostly about BD being about Noah and God. I used to have a different moniker...U24me.

Anyway, I agree with your moniker somewhat, and I think you are also from Nashville? Interesting comment from your brother. I just finished listening to Atomic (including Mercy and Smile), and I certainly hear Christ in Bono's lyrics, feel it in their music, and at a few, very memorable concerts, I felt like Christ was in the crowd.

I've been to many shows, but 1987 just outside of Nashville was one of those concerts...as were two Elevation shows. What I would give to have been at Slane...

Anyway, hello again. I have this strange feeling that we might already know each other...any chance you went to Father Ryan High School, or some other school in Nashville during the mid 80's? Maybe there is nothing to it...

Re: I hear Christ in their music

Howdy, beLIEve!

No, sorry, I'm not from Nashville...I'm from the DFW area. I've been to Tennessee, but to Memphis (saw Graceland).

Thanks for welcoming me - hope to hear more from ya!

Chicago...

80's

No need to say Howdy or Y'all...I'm from Chicago but happened to finish High School in Nashville. Never did get the accent thing right down there. I met someone from this fansite at the Lexington show on the Elevation tour...could have sworn he had your moniker. No harm no foul...I do know you from this forum and your posts, and as for future discussions...likewise.

Regards,

beLIEve

P.S. Graceland is worth the trip!

Re: Chicago...

beLIEve said:
80's

No need to say Howdy or Y'all...I'm from Chicago but happened to finish High School in Nashville.

The howdy was authentic. I'm from Texas.

Vertigo quandry

"The howdy was authentic. I'm from Texas."

80's,

Does this mean that when you sing along to Vertigo, instead of "Hello, Hello..., you sing "Howdy, Howdy...?

Just Joking with you...I know you don't mess with Texas!

No, but I guess I should! They could turn it into the "Bad Singer Yells Howdy" remix.

Hey 80s, I'm fairly new to posting on this site and I just wanted to tell you I've enjoyed your posts. :wink: That's so cool what your brother said. I'm with him as well. I always tell people Bono is the most Christ-like person alive I know of. (yes, I say that with a straight face.)

Hey

well, I agree with you.

80s U2 is the best, and bono is a little remincent of.... someone else.

I'm new here, but I like this place, and I like the things you've done.

see you around

For Honor said:
Hey

well, I agree with you.

80s U2 is the best, and bono is a little remincent of.... someone else.

I'm new here, but I like this place, and I like the things you've done.

see you around

Nice to meet ya - welcome aboard!

Just to add, I think it's great what your bro said.

It reminds me of my dad. He's a pastor and is so cool. As some of you know, I am dating a regular here in this forum (LivLuv). After meeting Lies the first time, my dad said to my mom, "Next time we're with them, my goal is to get to know what makes Lies tick." Obviously he found out it was U2 (more specifically Bono) but he didn't just stop there. He went out and got some cd's, watched some interviews on t.v. etc. with my mom. Both of them, pretty conservative Christians, said the same thing, that they saw and heard a true message of Christ in him.
Just wanted to add. Nice to meet you 80's. :wave:

Got Philk? said:
Just to add, I think it's great what your bro said.

It reminds me of my dad. He's a pastor and is so cool. As some of you know, I am dating a regular here in this forum (LivLuv). After meeting Lies the first time, my dad said to my mom, "Next time we're with them, my goal is to get to know what makes Lies tick." Obviously he found out it was U2 (more specifically Bono) but he didn't just stop there. He went out and got some cd's, watched some interviews on t.v. etc. with my mom. Both of them, pretty conservative Christians, said the same thing, that they saw and heard a true message of Christ in him.
Just wanted to add. Nice to meet you 80's. :wave:

Nice to meet you, too!

I'm a very conservative Christian myself, and I love to see this part of Bono be more and more evident.

for clarification, which "part" of Bono are you referring to?

I'm seriously asking this question.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:angel:

Jamila said:
for clarification, which "part" of Bono are you referring to?

I'm seriously asking this question.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:angel:

the blatant, in your face Christianity

OK, I just wanted to make sure that no one was trying to box Bono into being a "conservative Christian".

Just because he works with evangelicals to help support his efforts for Africa no one should presuppose that he supports their brand of "Christian fundamentalism".

Thanks for clarifying. :up:

Jamila said:
OK, I just wanted to make sure that no one was trying to box Bono into being a "conservative Christian".
Thanks for clarifying. :up:

Oh, the horror - being identified as a "conservative Christian"! Could it get any worse?!

Though I wasn't "boxing him in as a conservative Christian, I myself don't mind being "boxed in" as a conservative Christian. I don't know what it means to you or anyone else, but to me it means I am a Christian with conservative moral values.

Jamila said:

Just because he works with evangelicals to help support his efforts for Africa no one should presuppose that he supports their brand of "Christian fundamentalism".

The way you word that makes it sound like you think there's something wrong with Evangelicals and Fundamentalists.

Evangelicals are called that because they "evangelize", which is exactly what Christ told his followers to do before he ascended to the Father.

And the term "Fundamentalist Christian" means nothing more/less than a Christian who believes in the Bible word for word, and largely came from the 1970s and 80s conflicts in the Southern Baptist Convention between the fundamentalists (supporters of the idea of inerrancy of the Bible) and the moderates (who don't believe in the inerrancy of the Bible).

Last edited:
Ease up, 80s.

Be at peace.

I just don't want ANYONE trying to define Bono's spirituality - that is his own private matter and nothing for us to attempt to define.

Until Bono defines exactly his spiritual leanings, we should be fair to him and not attempt to define them ourselves.

I can't see what is wrong with that.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:up:

Jamila said:
Ease up, 80s.

Be at peace.

I just don't want ANYONE trying to define Bono's spirituality - that is his own private matter and nothing for us to attempt to define.

Until Bono defines exactly his spiritual leanings, we should be fair to him and not attempt to define them ourselves.

I can't see what is wrong with that.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:up:

The reason I wasn't "eased up" was because right after I stated I was a conservative Christian, you made the statement that you wouldn't want anyone to "box in" Bono as a conservative Christian with a "particular brand of fundamentalism". Surely you understand why someone would infer from that that you find something wrong with conservative Christianity and Cristian fundamentalist.

And actually, Bono has defined his spiritual leanings - has, on more than one occasion, declared himself a born again Christian.

80sU2isBest said:
And actually, Bono has defined his spiritual leanings - has, on more than one occasion, declared himself a born again Christian.

I think there is little doubt that Bono is indeed a born again Christian by any reasonable definition of that phrase. I would not classify him as a conservative. At the Q Awards Bono (jokingly) kissed Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys, who is gay - not the action of a conservative.

Hi all...I am new here and am very interested in what you are talking about. my husband is the "Bono" in a U2 Tribute band. The whole band i made up of Christian men who love the music and the message. Bono is a born again Christian...the words to the latest album make that apparent. I am proud of him for being more bold about his faith. It seems like maybe (and i only speculate) the death of his father might have brought this out in him. Anyway, i am glad to be here and am intersted in these discussions.

Back
Top Bottom