He Inclined and Heard My Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by hippyactress:
something else inside me said, ?Prepare yourself, Kim, there?s no going back. I?m not going to let you get out of this. You?re right here right now and something?s going to happen to you.

smile.gif
That's where I got your name from, hun.
No, I don't know you,... but in a way, I do.

I've been there... The depression, the sorrow, the feeling of hopelessness,... of being alone... The pain.
And, like you, I found comfort in U2. My way was to listen to JT album (vinyl) for the millionth time and find comfort in it. The end of "Streets", with Edge's echoing guitar, still gives me goosebumps.

Anyway.. stay healthy and positive.
..AND rent "Cast Away"!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Anthony:

By the way, 'is it getting better?'

Ant.

Or do I feel the same?
smile.gif

Thanks for asking. Life continues to be a struggle for me, but that's the way it's always been. There are times when I feel like I'm on top of the world and there are other times when I feel like I've fallen down for the last time and I will never get up again. Life is in transition right now and I'm trying to deal with that. I'm at a very scary point in life when I'm faced with making many decisions about how the rest of my life will be shaped and that scares me. But luckliy, I have faith in God to help me through. And that faith is made stronger by realizing that here's a band who's members are not afraid to say, "Look, we've gone through that, too." So U2 is a pillar of strength for me.

Ant, sometimes we can feel God telling us to share something, that's the way I felt when I shared my story...I felt him tell me to post it, though I was scared and I wasn't sure of reactions. He just said, "do this." He will make your heart ready to share when and if the time comes. Don't feel pressured. It has taken me a long time to share some of the other things that have happened in my life. But each time, He has made sure I was ready before He asked me to share. We just need to have open hearts and minds and be willing to listen to Him and trust that He won't let us get hurt. It'll happen for you when it's meant to happen for you. Just be open. Peace.

That's where I got your name from, hun.
No, I don't know you,... but in a way, I do.

DUH! Sometimes I can be so spacey!
smile.gif

And btw, I also love Cast Away...though I saw it with some other people who just didn't seem to like it. They thought it was too boring. ?????

The main thing I really like about the movie is that it is silent. He's there on the island alone and there is no need for words, so the director didn't put any in. I admire that in a film maker. And I also think it's a great piece of film because of the fact that it's universal. Tom Hanks doens't say anything, he merely does. And we make up our own story line and our own dialogue and our own feelings are projected onto his character. I really like that film!
biggrin.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Hippy thank you for sharing your story! That was the most beautiful and uplifting story I have read on Interference. It is because of people like you that I love this place. I'm sure a lot of U2 fans have stories like yours. I know they have helped me through more than one dark time. For everyone having a hard time remember one of my fave quotes: You yourself, as much as anyone else, deserve your own love and affection-Buddha. Thanks again and sorry it's so long! ~Jen
smile.gif

Hippy, what a great story. You know, I think lots of us have had that feeling of a great "spirituality" at a U2 show. Maybe not to the degree that you experienced, but we kinda know where you're coming from. Thanks for sharing! WOW!

Dear Hippy,
You had me in tears like almost everyone else has been while reading your account. That was so beautiful because it was so honest and so generous. Thank you.
I want you to know that i was there that night in Miami as well, also on the floor. That night was so transcendent for me...i've never felt such joy and such a strong love for God and for life itself. . . . I could also feel the presence of God in the room ... as crazy as that may sound for outsiders but there's no other way to explain the sheer joy and immense outpouring of love that so many of us have experienced.
Its strange y'know... I've heard from many people that 2001 was an incredibly difficult year on many different personal/emotional/spiritual levels, myself included. And so its so amazing the way this band came along and put together this show around a theme of LOVE, and lifted us up out of the lows and sadnesses we had fallen into. I truly believe that God and his Spirit are at work behind all this.
Oh! and after reading your post, I'll never hear the song "One" the same light again. It has a completely new meaning for me.
Love and peace to you.
lindachamorro@hotmail.com

hippyactress, I just read your story for the first time. It's very touching, especially since I saw the Elevation dvd for the first time, too, today. I can only imagine what it must have felt to be there, and experience it vicariously through interferencers. Sigh. Anyway, hope all is well. I'm glad the holy spirit touched you deeply during and after the concert.

foray

Wow was I surprised to see this one come back to the top...I had almost forgotten about it.

grace and foray, I'm glad it connected with you. That's all I can hope for.

And I wanted to thank you for bringing it up again for my own benefit. I needed to regain that perspective. So thank YOU for bringing this back again
smile.gif
And thank you for your kind words.

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Kim, that was so beautiful. I have no idea how long ago you put this on PLEBA, but I'm really sorry that I didn't see it sooner since I keep forgetting to make my PLEBA-checks
tongue.gif

I commend you for your ability to be so open with the people who read this board, and now, all the friends who view your subprofile as well. All I can say, after finding out that my remark about U2 is basically the reason you're sitting across the room frm me right now, the fact that I was compelled to say something about ATYCLB when I saw the U2 on your wall is, it truly must have been part of God's design. Not only for you, to get you out of the bad situation with your former roomie, but for me as well.

I am really thankful to God that you found the music of U2 and that it has helped you so much, that it allowed us to meet, because you have saved me so many times over. There have been some days that I honestly don't know what I would have done had I not been able to come back and talk to you about what was going on with me.

Reading your story has also made me think about how much U2 has touched my life. I discovered ATYCLB last spring when I was going through a bad time in my life, and it helped me through so much confusing stuff. When I met you, I had been going through a phase of listening to it again. And this winter, being introduced to their older music, all thanks to you, has given me more songs to listen to which truly speak to my soul.

I've been questioning my faith for a long time now, and I'm not gonna say that I've completely found it again, but the fact that one band can touch just one person (Kim) let alone so many people around the world in such deep ways that affect lives so profoundly...it all seems like more than a coincidence.

<3
Dar

[This message has been edited by Narcissus905 (edited 02-27-2002).]

I wish it hadn't taken me so long to find this hippy but I'm glad I did. I felt exactly like you did the first time I heard ATYCLB. I have always heard God in U2's music but never as strongly as I did the first time I played that CD. It really took hold of me and I played it constantly for weeks. I still listen to it at least once a day and it can still move me the same way.

I really felt something spritual at my first U2 show in Anaheim and when I heard Bono say "let's go to church" I knew I was in the right place with the right people.

Thank you for sharing something so personal hippy. You are such a beautiful person with a kind word for everyone and I'm so happy to have connected with you, even in a place as impersonal as a bulletin board.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 03-18-2002).]

Wow...this just keeps coming up doesn't it?
smile.gif
I'm glad other people relate to my story so much. At the time I decided to post, God was really working on my heart to share that. It was very hard to share, but I've been so blessed by sharing with you all. Thank you for bring an inspiration to me and helping me through with your kind words and loving prayers.

Originally posted by foray:
hippyactress, may I share your story with a friend?

foray

Sure
smile.gif
Can I know for what purpose? If you don't feel comfortable posting or whatever I'm hippyactress on AIM and my email addy is hippyactress@hotmail.com Or you don't have to share at all
smile.gif

------------------
Mirror mirror hanging in the sky, won't you look down to what's happening here below? I stand here singing to the flowers. So very few people really know. I dare a man to say I'm too young, for I'm going to try for the sun.

Seagull, I don't want your wings, I don't want your freedom in a lie.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Okay. I have a friend who is a new Christian and she is very enthusiastic about everything. She has decided to sell away all her CDs because she thinks most of them are not edifying. I think she wants to listen to 100% gospel music. I just want to show her that mainstream bands like U2 can be spiritual, too, and in a specifically Christian way at that.

I'm a huge Tori Amos fan, and introduced her to Tori as well, but I don't have a problem with her selling her entire Tori collection, cos I understand how Tori can be, for want of a better phrase, 'unhealthy' for new Christians who may stumble easily.

But I think U2 are exceptional and I hope my friend doesn't write off all mainstream music. I thought your story would help her see this. So, thanks.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

Kim, I only just read this, and it really touched me. Thanks so much for having the courage to share it; I agree with you that God could be easily felt in those concerts, and the fact that this experience helped you so much is truly inpiring.

Thank you.

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

Originally posted by foray:
Okay. I have a friend who is a new Christian and she is very enthusiastic about everything. She has decided to sell away all her CDs because she thinks most of them are not edifying. I think she wants to listen to 100% gospel music. I just want to show her that mainstream bands like U2 can be spiritual, too, and in a specifically Christian way at that.
But I think U2 are exceptional and I hope my friend doesn't write off all mainstream music. I thought your story would help her see this. So, thanks.

foray

Definitely share this story with your friend! I too went through a period where I only listened to Christian music, but sometimes it got to sounding like the same old thing. Granted, U2 isn't specifically Christian music, but there is a spirituality that cannot be denied in their music. Needless to say, I gave up listening to only Christian music, there is just too much good stuff out there to confine yourself to one genre.

If I had stuck with only listening to Christian music, I would never have found U2 and all the blessings that have gone with that discovery!

Hope my story can help to convince her
smile.gif

------------------
Mirror mirror hanging in the sky, won't you look down to what's happening here below? I stand here singing to the flowers. So very few people really know. I dare a man to say I'm too young, for I'm going to try for the sun.

Seagull, I don't want your wings, I don't want your freedom in a lie.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

hippyactress, incredible tale! It refreshed my memory on why they are in their own league! Your tale also reminded me of how special it was to finally get to see them! I will edit more in later - wanted to say how great your story is!!!

EDIT:
That's a really extreme story and I am happy it all worked out for you to see the live. I hope anyone who hasn't seen them and wants to will be given the chance several more times. Thanks again for reminding me how unique the whole concert experience is!

[This message has been edited by wannabe (edited 04-03-2002).]

hippy, what a beautiful story! As I read it, tears in my eyes, totally connecting with everyone's comments and feelings - I found it strange to realize that I was reading a thread from January 02! I'm not sure if I would have connected with this as much then as now - so it is so strange to me that I saw this tonight.

Last year, October 30, 2001, Bono left the stage to visit my daughter at our seats behind the stage.

http://home.attbi.com/~cimon254/U2Exp.htm

It has totally changed me and I'm still learning how. Before he left our area, Bono said a prayer. He said

"I want to make a prayer,
just want to make a prayer -
that these times that
we?re living in,
that they pass quickly,
and we get onto the next chapter of our lives
where America and Europe is safe
where the rest of the world is not living on less than a dollar a day,
That's our prayer... "

Having a prayer follow the most amazing experience of my life has to have meaning, but what? By last January, I was writing letters to politicians asking them to drop the debt in Africa. The first change in my life was learning a lot about the whole world, not my little world. After realizing Africa's plight, I laughed at myself for ever believing it was better to only buy things "Made In America".

We moved our residence in July, and this September I finally did what I was intending to do since my children were of school age. We started attending a Church. I am tired of being on the outside of the spiritual world looking in. The two things that motivated me most to finally go were Bono (He sang "Take it to the Church" during "I still haven't found what I'm looking for) and the fact that I didn't belong to a church that could have rung bells for Jubilee earlier this year.

My co-pastor started a program "readthebiblestraightthroo" and my 11 year old son, 10 year old daughter and I are reading it. Right before we started, I listened to the November 4th interview and Bono told us to read "The Message". Although I later found out Bono has been talking about this book for awhile, I never heard it until I needed it.

Now, tonight I read your moving thread! I do realize that it's the anniversary to the concert, but again - I am seeing things when I'm ready.

I'm really enjoying this journey, where ever it takes me...

Thanks Hippy for this next step!

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:
I'm really enjoying this journey, where ever it takes me...

Thanks Hippy for this next step!

I'm so humbled. Thank YOU for posting. I've been struggling with life again and reading your comments gave me hope. It's really true that She moves in mysterious ways... sometimes I don't know where that extra bit of needed energy is going to come from. I pray that you will be blessed on your spiritual journey. It's an amazing thing! Sometimes it gets very difficult, but somehow listening to U2's music seems to bring it all back into focus again. I could go on forever, but I'll desist. Thank you for your encouragement, it means more than you can know. :)

Peace,
hippy

Glad to see this one at the top again.

Btw, hips, that friend of mine is still bent on destroying her 'secular' CDs - even her U2 collection. :|

BostonAnne, speaking of remaining in one's own little world; I've noticed that of gossipy people as well. It's the people who are aware of a larger universe who don't indulge in trading juicy stories of people around them.

foray

foray said:

Btw, hips, that friend of mine is still bent on destroying her 'secular' CDs - even her U2 collection. :|

I'm sorry to hear that... I've actually been listening to a lot of Christian music lately cause I've been needing a little spiritual boost, but there's still nothing like the feeling you get when you realize that your favorite secular bands (mine: U2, the Beatles, Donovan, Cat Stevens, etc.) are sending you spiritual messages.

*sigh* I have friends like your friend seems to be, and it's difficult to try to tell them anything about U2's (or any other band's) spirituality.

Good luck, though. Maybe she'll come around to the wonder of spirit that is U2 ;)

~hippy

Well, I think it is because she is a new Christian, and so chooses the 'safe' way. I'm hoping later on she will have the wisdom to discern different messages in music.

foray

Wow!
thanks for sharing that.
this is helpful for me.

Someone at church recently went through 3 deaths, and as we were talking, she described her apathy for life, unwillingness to get out of bed, listnessness, dark moods etc. and it dawned on me that I've been going through that. for a long time. I was amazed. It was a total revelation. Damit I'm depressed again. It's not going away, it's still there.

I'm not the only one who struggles from this rotton depression. Life can get so HEAVY. Life is getting difficult. I can't tolerate it, other than crying out to God. I'm about ready to go on Prozac again.

A few days ago, I listened to ATYCLB and I looked at the lyrics and got alot out of it. so I know what you mean!

I am currently going through one of my "Stuck in a Moment" moments.

Thank you for your post Hippy. Your words have touched my heart and soul

Peace

sarah_U27 said:
it dawned on me that I've been going through that. for a long time. I was amazed. It was a total revelation. Damit I'm depressed again. It's not going away, it's still there.

I'm not the only one who struggles from this rotton depression. Life can get so HEAVY. Life is getting difficult. I can't tolerate it, other than crying out to God.

I'm about ready to go on Prozac again.

It sounds like you have been on medication before. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have been medicated for depression - I don't think I'd be here right now otherwise. The very first time I was diagnosed, I went through counseling with a wonderful Christian counselor and was able to see all the nasties I had stuffed away throughout my life and why they were manifesting themselves at that particular time. Depression is just like *any* other medical disease - there is a cause - it may be psychologically/emotionally based, chemically based, or a combo of those. If you don't control or eliminate the cause, it will never go away. I was able to eliminate the psychological instigators, and with the added help of medication, I was able to feel normal again.

I went off Prozac after several months under the guidance of my doctor, who was careful to warn both my husband Karl and me that the depression might someday return. He really stressed to my husband the need to be watchful because very often the person who is affected does not realize it is happening again.

And that is exactly what happened. 6 months later I was severely depressed, I believe triggered by stress and the circumstances of my life. Even though I had experienced it before, I could not see it while I was in the midst of it. I was able to be treated again because my husband recognized the signs and insisted that I see my doctor. After another several months of medication, my doctor and I talked about going off again, but this time warned me that if I had another bout, I would likely need to be on an antidepressant for the rest of my life. I knew this was a strong possibility as I have a family history of depession. As it turned out, I was back on medication soon after and have been on an antidepressant for the past 3 years.

Some people might see this as an addiction, but this drug (thankfully) does not work that way. It takes a good 2 weeks to take effect when starting it, I don't feel any different after taking it, or even if I forget to take it for a few days. Some might say I am weak or not trusting God, but as I said I truly see this as any other disease or sickness you might have to take medication for, like diabetes or arthritis. What do we say about those parents out there in the cults where they let their children die of infections that could so easily be treated with antibiotics but they didn't take them to a doctor because they were "trusting God"?

Wow, excuse my rambling :laugh:
Really I just say all this to encourage you to get help sarah_U27. It can be hard to see that you're having a problem when you're in the midst of it. My mom has always been very sensitive and discerning in regards to my emotional state, and has been very helpful to Karl in 'keeping an eye on me'. And yet she became depressed almost 2 years ago and kept denying that there was anything wrong. She also had a lot of 'triggers' at that point in her life, so I almost wanted to explain it away as well, and again it was my husband (who has now seen it enough times) who relentlessly pushed for her to see a doctor. Thankfully she went, got help, and is doing great.

I don't think a pill can solve everything - my relationship with God has been very important to my recoveries. This isn't to say that God can't or won't heal me of this, but I do believe I need to do my part to stay healthy. I would strongly recommend that you seek godly counsel if you haven't already, and also see a doctor - and don't be afraid to say that you think you might be depressed! I was, the first time I went to my doctor, and thankfully he put depression as one of his rule-outs when I simply said that I was having trouble sleeping. It's truly nothing to be ashamed of, and it's so easy to get help. I'm praying that you will :hug:

*edit
Ya know, I just don't think this post is long enough......:hmm:

J/K - hippy I just realized that although I had read your post before I had never bothered to comment on it - kudos to you for the courage to post it, you've blessed alot of us :hug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom