Getting to know you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hi Sula & all! This should be exciting! tomorrow I have the whole morning to read! (well, depending on when I wake up lol)

This thread I figured could be used as a bit of an introduction. I'll start :)

I'm 23, and I live in Mass, USA. I just graduated from college last May and I now work as a software programmer, although most times I like to think U2 is my job. :)

okay...baring my...well, just my vitals, I guess:

I'm a *mumble*-something woman, living in Dallas 15 years, formerly from Wisconsin; I was recently laid off from my job of 10 years, so I'm "between gigs" right now (anyone hiring out there? Please?); and being unemployed gives me WAAAAAY too much time to play around here on Interference...where I've met some wonderful people! ((((hugs!))))

Disco

Bono: Do not fasten your safety belt. We are about to get airborn.
---
"Viva le rock! Viva Las Vegas! -- Bono
---
Our Bono is indeed a mighty force. He walks into a room and all the air gets sucked right out. He is completely magnetic. - Shirley Manson, on Bono

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 01-04-2002).]

I'm a hippy at heart...

But unfortunately I have to live in the real world too...

So I'm a 19 yr old college student at the University of Miami...I'm studying Eng and French Lit and I have no idea where my life is going...I'm on a spiritual journey and U2 is helping me discover many things! I look forward to hanging out here a lot!

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Hello all. :wave:

My name is Tania, I'm 23 and I live in Upstate, NY (which is nowhere near NYC btw).

I graduated with a BA in English Lit. a year ago, and I am currently an editor.

I've been a big fan of U2 for years, and I *finally* saw them twice this tour. First in Buffalo, and then in Hamilton (with my friend anitram).
biggrin.gif

tania

------------------
I can't even say the bloody word Achhhhhtung Baby"--Larry

Hi.
smile.gif

I'm 22, live in Minnesota (for the time being) and am really excited about the potential for this new forum.

As some (or most) of you know, I grew up as the child of missionaries working in Indonesia. As a result I was steeped in Christianity and the sub-culture it tends to foster. As a child I remember assuming that what I was told by well-meaning and respected adults was true...there was no such thing as Christian+rock because rock music was evil and therefore unChristian. lol. Of course, as I got older this started to become evidentally wrong to me. But I still couldn't find what I was looking for in terms of Christian artists who could be fantastic musicians and still be transparent and HONEST in their lyrics. Enter U2.
I have found that U2's ability to be forth-right and to share about the ups and downs of their faith has helped me in my journey. They have helped me to see that questions are alright and that Christianity does not have to be a dry impersonal thing, unrelated to the outside world.

So, that's a bit of where I'm starting out from. Looking forward to exploring these things with you all.
smile.gif

-sula

Hello, I've been a u2 fan since 9th grade, and at that time The Unforgettable Fire was released.

I have a BA in Communications and I work in corporate hell and I'm trying desperately to get out of it. ( scratches walls of cubicle)

I'm a "lyrics" person and I look forward to many discussions on this subject!

My name is Monica, I'm 19, from California! I'm a college student! Blah!
tongue.gif

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Hmm.... all females here...

This isn't an alternative to PLEBA, is it?

BWAHAHAHA....

ahem, i'm was just kidding, you know.

It's late... I'll go come back and introduce myself, me, I, and mine later...

(No hard feelings?)

hey all,
glad to hear we're all psyched for the new forum!
my name is dave, i'm 22 and an honors student in communications. i've only got a year and a half left and feel totally unemployable, but i guess that's the way it is supposed to be.
anyhoo i have a lot of questions about religion so i should be back.

------------------
you can stuff your sorries in a sack mister

All right. Will contribute here if I can.

Potted bio:

-The name is self-evident, ditto my location.
-24 years of age, work in a self-employed (ha! read unemployable) capacity, work including graphic design, publicity, advertising;
-Have a degree in politics which I've apparently no use for (or at least nobody else does);
-(Obviously) have an interest in the spiritual dimension of U2's music.

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

Hello,
This is cool reading about all you folks.
My real name is Michael. I'm 34 years old. I've been a Christian since I was 12. A Rams fans since 11. An ABBA fan since 12, and a U2 fans since 16 (1983). Until Dec. 31, I had been working for 4 years for a company that produces law enforcement software - I did technical documentation (help files) and computer based training and sales demos. I have now gone into consulting, so if you know a company that needs that stuff, let me know! (sorry about the shameless plug) Anyway, I'll never forget the first U2 album I ever heard. It was October. In 1983, that was a VERY strange sounding album. I remember thinking "This is weird. Never heard anything like this in all my life". But I liked it. REALLY liked it. The lyrics are what really bowled me over. Awesome Christian lyrics. As everyone knows, I'm not a great big fan of their 90s music, but I started getting back into them with the release of ATYCLB.

Well, I'll keep this short for now... and pretend no one knows me yet...k?
wink.gif

Hi, my name is Joel, I'm over the hill - and will be turning 26 in 3 months. Since I can remember (always) I've always been both a left brained and right brained individual... this causing much internal conflict as I was growing up. Started wandering into the realm of philosophy at around age 5, finding U2 at around age 16, and between that time experiencing more death around me than most people will in a lifetime (enter -unknowingly- decade of depression at age 12). U2's Achtung Baby appealed to a very socially and philosphically confused and frustrated me. As I listened to U2 more and more, while discovering their previous work as well... I began to really indetify with a lot of the spirituality, and philosophical ideas they were communicating - and appreciating them on those levels, and not so much a religious level.
..anyway getting back to my introduction, somehow U2 ended up being so important to me in my life that I decided to start this site. From time to time I lose interest, but somehow (like the mob?) I get sucked back into it all again.

apologies for length, hehe... I can honestly say I don't think I've shared 95% of the above here b4.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

[This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 01-05-2002).]

For starters this is a great idea...so Sula,if it was yours you deserve much kudos....
So on to me.....
biggrin.gif

My name is Amy and I'll be 29 this March 17th...I've listened to U2 since I was about 14 or so....
I was raised in a Christian home that was fairly strict in their beliefs...ours is the only way type idea,anyway,U2 showed me alot in my teens about sprituality ,thay had alot of the same questions as me.
I also felt they gave someone who was a believer, but who could'nt always stay on the perfect path alot to think about.
I've always been intrested in the spritual side of their music and feel this forum will prosper here.....
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by browneyedgirl (edited 01-05-2002).]

Hello everyone...My name is Chris, and I'm 38 years old and live in California. I'm married to a beautiful woman by the name of Pam. We have been married for 17 years.

I've been a U2 fan since 1980 while listening to 'I Will Follow' on the radio one day, and I've been addicted ever since. My first concert was December 16, 1984 for the Unforgettable Fire tour. They truly are one of my greatest passions in life, and their songs have transcended themselves beyond mere songs in my life.

I've been a Christian since 1982, at the age of 19. My favorite scripture at that time was Psalms 40. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when the following year, my band released '40' from the War album.

I'm a school teacher, and have taught 6th grade for eight years, and again, is another passion of my life.

I'm thrilled with this new forum, and look forward to reading all of your stories about the band's faith in their own words and lyrics, as well as your own story of where you are at spiritually.

Chris

Hi all! My name's Debbie (no surprises there). Thanks sula and Elvis for setting this forum up, I'm looking forward to these discussions!

I'm 37 yrs old, and back in school now training for a teaching credential in Special Education, after working a bit in graphic design.

My interest in U2's spirituality is very strong because there was a time in my life when I was searching among religious philosophies and facing really difficult inner struggles, and one day the lyrics I had been listening to and the incredible experience of the U2 concert became cle

Hi all! Most of you know me, but here goes...

I'm a 39 year old mom of 2, married 12 years this year (ack! how did that happen?) I'm also a commercial banker when I'm not at PTA meetings.
wink.gif

I've been a U2 fan since 1981, and a fanatic since Live Aid. I've also enjoyed following the veiled spirituality of this band throughout their career, and found I always seem to be "like-minded" on most of the things they talk about.

I enjoy a good political debate, and I wrote poetry and prose in my "free time". I'm also a social activist here in my home state of Tennessee.

So, that's me in a nutshell. I really am looking forward to this forum.

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Hi all! Well, here ya go..I'm Rosemarie, 42 look 25 born on New year's Day(my 4 yr old niece is too! yeah!)been a U2 fan since 1981, it was 'Gloria'(still my fave) that got me into this band. I've grown up with this band for while now and have watched and listened to their growth all these years. I grew up in church and feel very comfortable in churchs,and I love the Word of God and can pretty much tell if your adding to, or taking away, I dislike both.I was born again may 10, 1985 and moved to London to live. My dream and it was my place called 'there'! I really like this forum and thank you for creating it. Oh and I'm a commercial driver originally from LA, Ca now in Jax, Fl peace..

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
Ack what happened to all the posts???

crikey! That's what I was just wondering. I thought it was my stupid computer just being silly again, but if you're seeing it too...
confused.gif

p.s. I've contacted Elvis to see if he knows what it is or how to fix it.

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 01-16-2002).]

LOL, I am glad there is a logical explanation, I was thinking my long post was a figment of my imagination!

Myabe its a Y2K2002 glitch...

well, I talked to Elvis about it, and he is unable to fix it. Just a glitch that can't be explained.
frown.gif
*sigh*

Soooo, if anyone remembers what they wrote (lol) and wants to repost it....

Well, the one of mine that is missing said

Angell! How are you?
biggrin.gif

My GA line buddy.
biggrin.gif

Of course it loses some of its punch without the preceding post...

wink.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
well, I talked to Elvis about it, and he is unable to fix it. Just a glitch that can't be explained.
frown.gif
*sigh*

Soooo, if anyone remembers what they wrote (lol) and wants to repost it....

What a shame! I hope people will repost...it's nice having intros from everybody!

Hi! My name is Jen. I'm 23 and live in Wisconsin. Soon(August) I'll be moving to NYC to go to culinary school. Very excited about that! I have been a U2 fan since I was 9 when I first heard ISHFWILF. I never really thought about the spiritual side then since my family wasn't religious. I have just recently started really examining my beliefs. I've always just gone along with what my church told me. Now with the help of U2 and you guys,among others, I'm figuring out what I believe. Sorry about the length. I really appreciate your help in my quest for my own spirituality. ~Jen
smile.gif

I am melon. Yes, that is the name I want to be called here.
tongue.gif
I am 21. U2 fan since 1987. I have a B.A. in Telecommunication, but now I wish I had taken graphic design. I am planning on getting an M.A. in New Media, mostly concentrating on 3D art, but, like my previous major, it should be broad enough to do a lot. I plan on moving out to Boston in August. I also enjoy screenwriting, which I am attempting to pursue a career in.

Lifelong liberal and a lifelong Christian. I've never had any problems being both, and it will continue to be that way. It has given me a perspective that, I believe, to be unmatched. Nice forum so far!

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
I am planning on getting an M.A. in New Media
hey, that's something we have in common. My job is multimedia development. Cool!

Im Michael, 29, australian and a wandering spirit. Ive spent the last five years wandering around the world, trying to work out where i should be. I still don't know.

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

can't believe I hadn't read all the posts in this thread!

ForbonoU2, very cool that your born again experience was in Bono's birthday in '85...was that significanT to U2? (just curious) And you're my age, YAYYY!!
smile.gif

forbonou2

-------------------------
Hi all! Well, here ya go..I'm Rosemarie, 42....I was born again may 10, 1985 and moved to London to live.

and JennyBean...another Cheesehead on Interference, cool!
smile.gif
Are you going to the CIA to study??? (I only ask cos I have a hankerin to do that myself, and love all those CIA cooking shows!)
wink.gif

disco

Back
Top Bottom