From applicant to nominee...Peace Corps, here I come!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well as most of you know, I had applied for the Peace Corps earlier this year with the hopes of starting service with them next summer. I finished my application, did my fingerprints, went in for my big interview and have been waiting to hear whether or not I was going to be nominated as a potential volunteer.

Anyways, this morning I got the call from my recruiter that I am past the first stage and basically all I have pending now will be my medical and legal clearances. So in so many words?I?m almost definitely IN. (assuming those last two things are ok, which they ought to be:D)

The next thing that I have to do is review some of the assignments that she has told me about. She can?t tell me exactly WHERE each one is, just the geographic region and what the basic project will be. So far the ones in my radar for consideration are small business development and AIDS education in Africa (one that they would LOVE to send me to because they are desperate for French-speakers), a business advising project in Eastern Europe, and a business advising/education project in Central Asia. As East Timor is a brand-new site, she wasn?t able to find any openings there?YET (although I intend to keep buggin her about it.)

Originally I had thought that Eastern Europe would be my region of choice, but the more that I read about Africa and study the economic situation over there, the more I feel led to lend a hand there. So I dunno. I have some time to think about it and pray about it.

So that?s where it stands so far. Celebrate with me! I?m very excited about this new development. :) And please, please pray for me. I?m scared out of my wits too. :eek:

Thanks for being there for me and I know I?m going to rely heavily upon your emotional and spiritual support in the days ahead. :)

-sula

I definitely will Sula!! You are one who is changing the world!! Congratulations on this wonderful achievment and on the possibilities that are at your feet. :)

(((Sula)))

That's great!

Congrats amiga. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. And don't forget about my offer anytime you get news on your East Timor option! :cool:

congratulations! i hope it'll be a wonderful time for you and those you serve.

This is great news, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of those locations. My cousins grew up in Africa as my aunt and uncle were missionaries there and truly learned and experienced a lot over there. I think it is a good are to serve in the Peace Corps or any humanitarian service, and small business advisory and AIDS education are both big needs if the region is going to move forward. East Timor would also be agreat assignment for you due to your familiarity with Indonesia and that area. Either way, you will enjoy it; it sounds perfect for you.

~U2Alabama

This is a wonderful thing you're doing, Sula. Congratulations, and best of luck to you.

One odd thing - a friend of mine applied and was accepted in the Peace Corps. He is a French speaker, and he will be helping with AIDS education in Africa! I'm not sure exactly where he's going, though, either.

Congratulations!

Congrats, Sula! I may not know you personally, but am happy for you, as I've dreamed of joining the Peace Corps too. I'm sure this is gonna be an enriching and learning experience. :) We'll be praying for 'ya. ;)

sula!
Hallelujah! "God doesn't have arms -- we do." Congrats, girl. Bein' scared out of your wits ain't so bad...I think it's like many performing artists say, if they don't have butterflies right before a show, there's something wrong...
go ahead, be scared, hurl yourself into the arms of God, and get your hands dirty in the real work of body and soul. It doesn't get any more real than this. I'm just thrilled for you.

inspired by your example --
Deb D

Yay that's wonderful news Sula!!! I picture you packing loads of Viggoness away wherever he can fit and not having much room for anything else :sexywink:

Wherever you go, they will be the luckiest bunch of people to be blessed with your presence. You are a terrific person and I hope you keep in touch with us during your travels.

Fabulous news indeed....(((many hugs)))

L

Very cool Sula, I'll sure be thinking about you! I know you're scared, but hope it's in a good way, butterflies and excitement and all. You're doing something that probably 99% of us might not even attempt!

btw, how long will your 'tour of duty' be?

[p.s. to Martha - cute avatar, I know that face!] :)

Back
Top Bottom