Eugene Peterson's Psalms -- WOW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truecoloursfly

The Fly
Cracked this open on the bus home from the bookstore -- and couldn't wipe the grin off my face.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Personally, I always loved the "lofty" King James translations, but Peterson brings us to an intimate, honest, gritty heart-to-heart with God. I feel CLEAN after these! Like a long mountain hike followed by a long hot shower, you know? But I'll let y'all see for yourselves:

Psalm 40

I waited and waited for Yahweh.
At last he looked; finally he listened.
He lifted me out of the ditch,
pulled me from the deep mud.
He stood me up on a solid rock
to make sure I wouldn't slip.
He taught me how to sing the latest God-song,
a praise-song to our God.
More and more people are seeing this:
they enter the mystery,
abandoning themselves to Yahweh...

Psalm 66

All together now -- applause for God!
Sing songs to the tune of his glory,
Say of God, "We've never seen anything like him!"
When your enemies see you in action,
they slink off like scolded dogs.
The whole earth falls to its knees --
it worships you, sings to you,
can't stop enjoying your name and fame.

Take a good look at God's wonders --
they'll take your breath away.
He converted sea to dry land;
travelers crossed the river on foot.
Now isn't that a cause for a song?

Psalm 23

Yahweh, my shepherd!
I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.
True to your word,
you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

Even when the way goes through
Death Valley,
I'm not afraid
when you walk at my side.
Your trusty sheperd's crook
makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head;
my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me
every day of my life.
I'm back home in the house of Yahweh
for the rest of my life.

I'm excited by these prayers and songs, I feel like I'm reading my peers, people as intimate with life and with their God as me. I'd love to hear from others who've read Peterson's translations of the Scriptures...?

Deb D

------------------
take some time out and entertain the questions of a
longing heart
-- Steve Beard

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I have the Peterson's Psalms. I love them. I love the "lofty" version as well, but sometimes you just want to read them simply and Peterson is great for that.

I'm about 1/2 way through them now. I just recently found Peterson's The Message at a used Christian bookstore. I haven't read it yet but I can't wait.

Hey, the whole Message translation is great. I actually like the Epistles the best -- in the ordinary English they can be a little formal, too many clauses, and in Peterson they really hit home. I love the image of Bono reading this to his dad on his deathbed....

I'm reading "The Message" right now and i really like it. (That's Paterson's translation of the new testament by the way.)
I hadn't read the New Testament all the way through in a very long time so this is really great. It has me all excited. It reads like a breeze, which is great for all of us who get stuck on phrases they dont understand and then give up.
Some of it is actually pretty humorous because of the translation. My favorite part so far is when Jesus is being tempted by Satan on the mountain. Jesus says to him, "Beat it, Satan!" I couldn't help but crack a smile. . .

What I like most is that many passages which i've heard a dozen times before all of a sudden come alive in a new way. Here's some of my favorite examples...

From the Sermon on the Mount (Mathew 5 and 6):

"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you"

"You're blessed when you get your inside world--your mind and heart--put right. Then you can see God in the outside world."

"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of the earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?"

"You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors of the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand--shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

"Your eyes are windows into your body. If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar."

From Matthew 16:26:

(Jesus speaking to his disciples) "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself?"

Back
Top Bottom