Early Testimony on tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palaisman

Babyface
I have a private tape (well, it is actually about 1.5 tapes) of Bono, Larry and the Edge talking about their faith to a group of Christian musicians from fairly early days in their career. It was recorded in England in either late 1980 or early 1981 (I forget which). It lasts well over an hour and is utterly fascinating to listen to, especially in hindsight, since it was made before they became household names.

They discuss their faith, their hopes for Adam, their lyrics, etc. Standout moments are when Bono declares he truly believes God intends them to become the biggest band in the world, when they state that "Fire" will be their first big hit, etc.

Has anyone else got a recording of this event?

It was a Christian musicians' workshop, which my friend attended and recorded.

Bit of a problem at the moment as I decided to put it on now that I've mentioned it - and all I can find is an empty box. :^( Still, it's got to be somewhere... :huh:

Now I'm beginning to wish I hadn't mentioned it until I'd found it again as I feel like a huge tease. Can't find it anywhere - but it will show up some time, I'm sure (although if you'd seen my basement, you'd understand the scale of the search required). In the meantime, I'll get in touch with the guy who made my copy and see if he still has his.

In the meantime, it is an ill wind etc... In my search I've just found another tape that I'd completely forgotten about (I just don't play many tapes these days). U2 live in concert on the BBC together with another Christian band, Britain's After The Fire. I'd guess this was summer of 1981 as the announcer mentions their recent single, 'Fire.' Not quite what I was looking for, but better than nothing...

Oh, BTW, the track listing for the U2 set:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
With A Shout (Jerusalem)
Twilight
Out Of Control
Rejoice (first part)

Is it the same interview mentioned in U2Kitten's thread in EYKIW?

Pearl said:
Is it the same interview mentioned in U2Kitten's thread in EYKIW?

No, it's absolutely NOT the same interview. The one U2 Kitten mentioned is widely available, and has in fact been reprinted many times. This is unknown, I think. I have never seen any reference to this. As Palaisman said, it was probably taped privately, before they were at all well known.
I want this!!

Yes, the Paris Theatre would be right. I went to a couple of BBC "In Concert" recordings there myself - but sadly not the one in question.

It is a shame that the announcer comes on and talks over the top of 'Rejoice.' The BBC must have it all somewhere (audio only, of course). 'Rejoice' goes for 1:37 before the idiot starts gabbling over it.

Interesting to note that in the space between 'Out Of Control' and 'Rejoice', at least one person is hollering for the return of ATF.

The earliest stuff I owned was a VHS tape of another BBC concert, this time on TV. They filmed Stiff Little Fingers and U2 on back-to-back nights (I think) in Belfast and then broadcast about an hour (if memory serves) in which they wove the two bands in between each other. It was rather good I think. But I loaned it to someone 22 years ago and he hasn't returned it yet. So if you are out there, Torrington, GIVE IT BACK!

Well, Palaisman, thanks for turning up at this point and giving us some idea of what you might be able to share with us (even if you can't find any of it). It's very kind of you!

Oh, it will turn up eventually, I'm sure. Probably when I least expect it. Anyway, it sounds like I have at least one gem in my grasp in "Rejoice"...

I will keep looking but I have a lot else on my plate right now. I'm a seminary student with a pile of assignments due, and I've also just been given a couple of churches of my own to look after. They must take priority, I guess.

That tape should have been right there! What use is an empty box?

Palaisman said:
Yes, the Paris Theatre would be right. I went to a couple of BBC "In Concert" recordings there myself - but sadly not the one in question.

It is a shame that the announcer comes on and talks over the top of 'Rejoice.' The BBC must have it all somewhere (audio only, of course). 'Rejoice' goes for 1:37 before the idiot starts gabbling over it.

Interesting to note that in the space between 'Out Of Control' and 'Rejoice', at least one person is hollering for the return of ATF.

Glad to see I got the right gig! The second I saw the setlist, I thought "That's the BBC 'In Concert' show from early on the October Tour, isn't it?" Yes, I'm a setlist nut. I'm pretty sure I've never seen any copy of any portion of Rejoice before (Do any of the bootleg experts that come to Interference come to this forum? I'm not 100% on this), so yes, you really have a find there if I'm right. I didn't even know there was video footage.

Shame the people start talking all over Rejoice - can you still hear the band behind them, and is there video footage of the band still playing? You've got me curious! And I guess you'll always have one person in the crowd who's going to want someone else back ...

The earliest stuff I owned was a VHS tape of another BBC concert, this time on TV. They filmed Stiff Little Fingers and U2 on back-to-back nights (I think) in Belfast and then broadcast about an hour (if memory serves) in which they wove the two bands in between each other. It was rather good I think. But I loaned it to someone 22 years ago and he hasn't returned it yet. So if you are out there, Torrington, GIVE IT BACK!

Again, I think I know what you're talking about: http://www.elevation-tour.com/show17-1981_01_23-belfast-mcmordie_hall_queens_university.html

The problem with all official setlists I can find for that is they are WRONG. After The Electric Co., it should read Things To Make And Do/Twilight/I Will Follow/Out Of Control. I have a full audio bootleg - unfortunately MP3 sourced and I'd like a lossless copy - and I also have some poor video footage of The Ocean, 11 O'clock Tick Tock. The Cry/The Electric Co., and Out Of Control as a bonus on a DVD I have. I'm pretty sure that's what you mean. I thought the two bands played on the same night, but I wasn't so sure of that. One amusing side note is that on my DVD, The Electric Co. is labelled as 'Electrico'.

In any case, all the best to you for your seminary studies and churches. I hope you enjoy it! I must say it's something that's caught my interest a few times, though I'm going into journalism myself. And if you ever want to trade out those tapes (especially if you find the interview) ... well, I won't say no! Especially not if it's converted to DVD ...

Last edited:
Palaisman said:
Oh, it will turn up eventually, I'm sure. Probably when I least expect it. Anyway, it sounds like I have at least one gem in my grasp in "Rejoice"...

I will keep looking but I have a lot else on my plate right now. I'm a seminary student with a pile of assignments due, and I've also just been given a couple of churches of my own to look after. They must take priority, I guess.

That tape should have been right there! What use is an empty box?

Oh well, it'll turn up sometime. Best of luck catching up with your assignments and looking after the churches you've been assigned to. :)

Back
Top Bottom