Corrupt Christian Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sue DeNym said:

:eek: I did phrase that rather badly, didn't I? I didn't mean to imply that sexuality is a fault, it certainly is not. It's part of being human. But the writers of that webpage sure seem to feel that it is a fault.

Yeah, and it's very unfortunate that we'll always have groups like the authors of this website screwing up the message.

I want to know what they see wrong in the following quotes;

"Listen, I'll talk to Jesus. I'll talk to the lady at the check-out there at Kmart. I'll talk to anyone."

"John Lennon changed my way of seeing things." -Bono

"I think people understand that I'm not religious. When I talk of religion I'm talking about the force which has cut this country (Ireland) in two. I'm not religious at all, but I do believe in God very strongly, and I don't believe that we just kind of exploded out of thin air, I can't believe it." -Bono

"I think it's the spiritual strength that's essential to the band. People have got to find their own way. I'm not into standing up and saying, 'hey, you should be into God!' My own life is exhilirating through an experience I feel, and I feel there's no point in talking about something which should be there in your life anyway. You don't have to preach about it. "

Don't know about the first or the third, but I do know a lot of ultra conservatives view John Lennon as the devil. They don't like his talk of no religion or his crticism of religion. Plus it goes with their anti-ecuminist stance.

On the last one they're probably trying to say Bono's ashamed of the Gospel, cause he doesn't evangelize in a conventional way. These people seem to think you need to ram God down people's throats.

That's just ridiculous with John Lennon. People need to stop liking or hating someone just because of their religion. I don't care if someone's a Christian or an atheist or a Muslim or whatever, if they have something worthwhile to say, people shouldn't let their personal religious bias get in the way of listening to the person.

'These people seem to think you need to ram God down people's throats.'

Grr, that annoys me. Christ should not be forced down people's throats. Faith and religion is a very personal thing - it's not this thing you go round bashing people with like these people think you should do.

:madspit: ah,, do i have to say it/ I Hate religion "and I can see clearly now'..as th song says-but wait that might be too filthy 4 eyes to see.....ahem...how does that go in the song.."no one, no one is blinder, then he who cannot see.."1 Amen my filthy Brother Bono! lol!1 this really would be funny, if these people where not so sorry..:| I'd hang out with thee o' filty One anyday!:wink:

After reading the website on corrupt Christian music, I love U2 even more. Thanks from an exseminarian for providing us with that link.

The artist reviews are funny, their various statements of right and wrong and their outlook are not. Would have thought people this backward would have thought the internet was a tool of Satan and avoided it. Though as I've said before as a PK dumbass Christians ceased to suprise me a long time ago. It is only the degree which has the ability to give me pause.

i love these quotes

"All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up." -Bono

"The Holy Spirit is like a woman. Undependable. Joke! Joke!" -Bono

"Listen, I'll talk to Jesus. I'll talk to the lady at the check-out there at Kmart. I'll talk toanyone."

"They say, 'He who loves his life loses it.' But I say, 'Hate your life enough and you can keep it forever." -Bono

infact i like most of the quotes...except maybe the quote in which he says he makes music u can have sex to or something like that.

i am not a christian anyway

spoof?

Is this site a spoof, or what? I am a Christian, and I enjoy Christian music, but this whole attack is extreme, and at best simply incoherent. The site even attacks Billy Graham as not actually being a Christian, as well as well-respected and longstanding artists like Michael W. Smith, dc Talk and Bill Gaither. I don't think anyone would take this seriously aside from those who already believe it. There is a place for criticizing music and artists who misrepresent Christianity, but this is not it.

I think I'd be worried if these morons actually said they LIKED U2. Thank God U2 doesn't don't fit into their incredibly narrow little box of what "true" Christians are supposed to like and not like. :madspit:

You know, I have seen the write up they do of U2 on the corruptchristianmusic.com site. While other artist they talk about , well, they're seeing things that aren't there- but as much as I hate to admit it, they are pretty much right about U2. While claiming to be a Christian, Bono said in his diary on u2.com that "church people scare him" or something to that effect. Yet who could blame him for the most part! Yet I see, when he is making comments like this, how others would see him as "corrupt". There's so many things that he does that are "questionable". The kiss with Liam. Back when they were all dressing in drag. His quote from part of 'Discotheque' on the Popmart Live From Mexico City video; can't remember the exact words, but it was something to the effect of "I don't have time for that now", reffering also to Jesus in the same sentence.. On the ZooTV Live From Sydney video, where he says, during 'One', "Did you come here to play Jesus? I did." Posing for an interview virtually naked. Gyrating sexually into a camera. All that profanity that he'll use rather whimsically when talking in interviews and such sometimes, & the "bad words" he uses sometimes in his songs. His questioning on songs such as 'If God Will Send His Angels', 'Wake Up Dead Man', 'Peace On Earth'- on wether or not God is actually going to come through or not. Look, Itry to blind myself to Bono's little "discrepancies"... but fact is, all of these things have proven him NOT to be a Christian by the "true standards". We all know we're not supposed to curse, or act peversly, or question God if we are "good boys & girls". U2 has been my favorite band for 15 years. Please believe that I am NOT bashing them. I'd love them wether they were claiming to be "Christian" or not. It's just that after viewing this site, I realize that, even though corruptchristianmusic.com IS a tad cruel in their theory, I understand where they are coming from. If anyone has any theories on how to explain Bono saying he's a Christian while acting very unChristian like, please let me know... because I'm honestly slowly becoming a little disillusioned with U2, & it hurts. :(

ElementOfSupris said:
If anyone has any theories on how to explain Bono saying he's a Christian while acting very unChristian like, please let me know... because I'm honestly slowly becoming a little disillusioned with U2, & it hurts. :(

I can understand your feelings, and I too have raised an eyebrow when Bono's acted the fool. But Bono is hardly the only believer in history to show human weaknesses; and he's hardly the worst. Look throughout the Bible:

Moses was a murderer
David committed adultery and murder
Elijah was suicidal
Rahab was a prostitute
Peter was hotheaded and violent (sliced off some poor bloke's ear!)
Paul committed murder (the stoning of Stephen)

To say nothing of other believers throughout history. Succumbing to human weaknesses does not make one not a believer; it merely proves that one is human.

Read through the Psalms sometime. They're not all "God is love" CCM type songs, many of them are screaming "Where were You when we needed You?!"

Christians are not Borg; we do not all think or act exactly the same, simply because all humans do not think or act exactly the same. Some Christians think that others are not Christians because they go to PG13 and R movies, or drink or swear on occasion, or don't wear fancy clothes, or don't have every square inch of their house decorated with Precious Moments figurines. Other Christians disdain those who belong to other denominations. Still others put down those who don't proselytize every waking moment.

Being a Catholic, Orthodox, Baptist, Presbyterian, etc., does not make you a Christian. Acting with purity and perfection does not make you a Christian. Believing in Jesus Christ and accepting him as your Lord and Savior is what makes you a Christian. And Bono long ago accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior, and has publicly stated so, and has never recanted.

EOS, I've read through my message and have realized it sounds a bit harsh. Please don't think I am putting you down, personally. But I have been falsely accused of not being a Christian because of many of the things I have listed, and it does rankle. And I'll end this message here, because I've gone on long enough! :silent:

Look...think about the things that you have said here. For one...some of this was theater....gestures done to get the point of a song across. For two, I long ago ceased to use the measuring stick of whether someone uses "salty language" as a barometer of spiritual health. Living in Ireland and meeting people with living faiths who still occasionally said cuss words in conversation has changed my mind on that issue. Number three- what would corrupt christianity write about you if 25 years of your life was on camera? Point is that people make mistakes..make judgement errors all of the time. People also backslide and recommit themselves to the faith. Going back and using interviews 13 years in that past or taking jokes completely out of context...or not allowing a person to grow or change isn't fair in my opinion. This is why I hate that site. It makes static cartoons out of living, growing and changing PEOPLE.

As the son of two ministers I can totally understand where Bono is coming from in terms of religion. It's a bloody miracle that I'm not totally cynical about religion, as I've had the joy of seeing all the back room politics, backstabbing, pettiness, and general crap that goes on in the church. I still have faith in the Church's ability to be a vehicle for Christ but a lot of times it's really hard. Change that to most of the time. Bono's a damn better Christian in his actions and dedication than a sizeable chunk of people warming pews in many of the churches I've been in. Yeah he's not perfect, but as others have said most Christians aren't. One of my favourite authors Dostoyevsky was a horrible gambler, terribly mercurial, hated the West, but if you've read his books he knows more about grace than any person I've ever come across.

As to doubt, have you read any of the Psalms lately? a solid third of them are psalms of lament, about being angry at God, doubting him, questioning him. Jonah wasn't one for giving God the benfit of the doubt. But the final element is that they all came back. Doubt isn't a sin rejecting God is. Nothing Bono has done shows that. Anyone who says they've never doubted for a momnet is either the greatest of saints, is a liar or has never been tested.

ElementOfSupris said:
You know, I have seen the write up they do of U2 on the corruptchristianmusic.com site. While other artist they talk about , well, they're seeing things that aren't there- but as much as I hate to admit it, they are pretty much right about U2. While claiming to be a Christian, Bono said in his diary on u2.com that "church people scare him" or something to that effect. Yet who could blame him for the most part! Yet I see, when he is making comments like this, how others would see him as "corrupt". There's so many things that he does that are "questionable". The kiss with Liam. Back when they were all dressing in drag. His quote from part of 'Discotheque' on the Popmart Live From Mexico City video; can't remember the exact words, but it was something to the effect of "I don't have time for that now", reffering also to Jesus in the same sentence.. On the ZooTV Live From Sydney video, where he says, during 'One', "Did you come here to play Jesus? I did." Posing for an interview virtually naked. Gyrating sexually into a camera. All that profanity that he'll use rather whimsically when talking in interviews and such sometimes, & the "bad words" he uses sometimes in his songs. His questioning on songs such as 'If God Will Send His Angels', 'Wake Up Dead Man', 'Peace On Earth'- on wether or not God is actually going to come through or not. Look, Itry to blind myself to Bono's little "discrepancies"... but fact is, all of these things have proven him NOT to be a Christian by the "true standards". We all know we're not supposed to curse, or act peversly, or question God if we are "good boys & girls". U2 has been my favorite band for 15 years. Please believe that I am NOT bashing them. I'd love them wether they were claiming to be "Christian" or not. It's just that after viewing this site, I realize that, even though corruptchristianmusic.com IS a tad cruel in their theory, I understand where they are coming from. If anyone has any theories on how to explain Bono saying he's a Christian while acting very unChristian like, please let me know... because I'm honestly slowly becoming a little disillusioned with U2, & it hurts. :(

i know how you feel :hug:

kevin max a crossdresser!

give me a break...

dcTalk was the first concert I ever went to. I was 14 (1999, Supernatural tour :D) and had the most amazing time. (they were my pre-U2 obsession ;)) I have alot of their albums and their music still feeds my spirit whenever I listen to them. :) still a fan today :)

Elvis Presley said:

yes, they are obviously insane and trying to piss me off....

Amem to that! These people are definately not Catholics!!! That is because the Catholics I know, have much better things to do with their free time. Such as volunteering in hospitals, soup kitchens and homeles shelters that care for the elderly, the sick and the poor.

"...he represents complete filth."

Come on, this is rediculous. Did the "Christian?", writer of the Website Corrupt Christian Music forget God's greatest commandment? "Love God with all your heart and love others as I have loved you."

Inis said:

These people are definately not Catholics!!! That is because the Catholics I know, have much better things to do with their free time. Such as volunteering in hospitals, soup kitchens and homeles shelters that care for the elderly, the sick and the poor.

:| :huh: :|

Nevermind...I don't want to start a debate, but one should be careful with comments like this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom