Bono's views on eastern religions? (Version II)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't usually post here, but it seems like there really isn't any documentation of Bono saying/writing/thinking anything postive or negative about Eastern Religions. Someone posted something about him feeling uneasy about new agey type spirituality as documented in The Flanagan book (and I'm not surprised, you don't have to be a Christian to feel uneasy about that type of thing) but that doesn't have anything to do with Eastern religions that are centuries old. I think when it comes to this topic all we can do is speculate.

yea, questioning why someone is posting in a thread is pretty close to questioning their right to be there

I think "Christians" are to be more understanding, accepting, forgiving and loving than what I normally see in these threads.

Bad Templar was simply wanting to know what financeguy's reason for posting in the forums was, since agnostics usually don't. I think you really have to do some intense reading between non-existent lines to interpret it as as a judgment upon whether fg should be posting here or not.

Jamila, I think the threads in The Goal Is Soul are usually pretty non-argumentative. FYM is where the bitter battles happen.

Maybe we've had enough of these "Bono's views on Eastern Religion threads". :wink:

No offense to Halifax.

aussiedge said:
I heard bono say that all religon should be banned, apart from catholicisim....:wink:
Highly doubt that since he is only half-Catholic and non-practicing (he attended Shalom Christianity bible sessions) and that he said on his meeting with the pope that he thought catholicism was creating problems for religion and that 10 yrs earlier he probably couldn't have brought himself to do the meeting

Jamila said:
yea, questioning why someone is posting in a thread is pretty close to questioning their right to be there

I wasn't questioning anyone's right to post here. I believe everyone has the right to post here.

I was merely interested to know why financeguy channelled his energies into discussing religions and beliefs he clearly stated were fraudulent and wished would go away.

I also asked him whether he could explain what agnostic pluralism offers as a viable alternative to my faith in Christ.

Jamila said:
I think "Christians" are to be more understanding, accepting, forgiving and loving than what I normally see in these threads.

I think what you really mean is that "Christians" should compromise and concede key elements of their faith to keep the peace.

Firstly, Christians should post within the forum rules. Secondly, Christians should display all those things you mentioned...but I don't believe that they should automatically capitulate when discussions concerning their faith become controversial... agree to disagree...sure.

The Interference forum is a miniscule sidetrack in most of it's poster's lives (at least I hope so). Just because people have strong discussions on internet discussion boards...doesn't mean their lives are devoid of understanding, acceptence, forgivenness and love....Christian and agnostic alike.

Last edited:
:yawn:

If this place is supposed to be the theological and spiritual equivalent of PLEBA....then I want out.

Last edited:
Bad Templar said:
:yawn:

If this place is supposed to be the theological and spiritual equivalent of PLEBA....then I want out.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Melon

I certainly didn't interpret Bad Templar's comments as suggesting agnostics shouldn't post in this section.

I was always taught that pluralism was a good thing but maybe there are different definitions of pluralism. My comments might have been worded a bit overly forthright.

Bad Templar said:
I wasn't questioning anyone's right to post here. I believe everyone has the right to post here.

'I wasn't questioning anyone's right to post here'. - Don't worry, I certainly didn't interpret your comments that way.

Bad Templar said:
Secondly, Christians should display all those things you mentioned...but I don't believe that they should automatically capitulate when discussions concerning their faith become controversial... agree to disagree...sure.

Exactly, and you stand up for your beliefs in a forthright way and that does you credit.

Look, I don't care if I'm right or wrong here, I'm just up for a discussion.

Personally, I find eastern religions to be intriguing. I don't align myself with any one specifc religion, be it eastern or western or northern or southern.

If you go east far enough, aren't you west anyways?

Halifax, I don't know what Bono thinks about eastern religion.
But in the 5-12-2005 concert in Chicago, he mentioned how DR MLK's dream wasn't just American, or European, he included Asia and Africa too, and ultimately the whole world.

I think that this is a decent subject, but apparently it is easily irritable to other people... which I don't get at all. How is it that easy to get so worked up about religion? That is kind of scary.

If there is every a more general eastern religions thread, let me know, because I am interesed in such things.

But I don't really know what more to say here.

it was a good try, Halifax
(I haven't read the original thread yet, but apparently, I don't need to)

See you all around

*coming out of lurkdom*

Bad Templar, your posts are a joy to read. You're obviously intelligent and you state your point logically and rationally. I appreciate that.

As to what Bono thinks about Eastern religions, I have no clue. To me, that's something you'd have to ask him. I'd hate to speculate on his personal beliefs because I don't know him.

Nice post For Honor (and FF8 rocks!). Like you, I’m also interested in eastern religions. Heck, Buddhist culture is so heavily ingrained in Vietnamese culture that I can’t escape it.

I agree that it’s also scary how people get so worked up with religion. It not only the debates happening in these boards, but in our world as well. What do you think Al-Qaeda is fighting for? What is the real agenda of the newly risen religious right in America? By the way, these are just rhetorical questions, and I’m not really looking for a debate on those questions!)

A Buddhist monk named Thich Nhat Hanh one made this quote:

“People kill and are killed because they cling too tightly to their own beliefs and ideologies. When we believe that ours is the only faith that contains the truth, violence and suffering will surely be the result."

I think that basically answers your question on why people get so worked up with religion.

Halifax said:
A Buddhist monk named Thich Nhat Hanh one made this quote:

“People kill and are killed because they cling too tightly to their own beliefs and ideologies. When we believe that ours is the only faith that contains the truth, violence and suffering will surely be the result."

He's wrong.

I believe with all my heart that Christianity is the only true faith. It is the thing I cling to more than anything else in my life.

And yet, I don't commit violence, nor do I do anything that will make anyone suiffer.

I respect that view, 80sU2

But I don't think anyone has the right to say someones religion is right or wrong... (however, there are exceptions - like if religion came up where you had to kill anyone who looked at you a certain way. That is a poor example, but I hope the meaning is conveyed). And while there may be only one view in one's life, I refuse to accept that such a view is absolute for everyone else.

Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?

I have no doubt that there is a person who thinks that Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or even Athesim is their chosen, absolute religion. But if they said that theirs is the only true faith, and they cling to it closer than anything else in their life,

does that make them wrong?
does that make someone who disagree with them wrong?

I understand what is like to cherrish and worship someone or something, to put it on high and build your life around it. But I think it is essential that we realize we are not alone in doing that. You need to keep in mind that "to each is own"

-------------

Nevertheless, 80sU2, you seem to be fine the way you are, I believe you when you say you don't go around being violent on behalf of your religion, etc.

I believe the quote was directed more so at other individuals, and mainly as a comment on religious conflicts in general.

I guess that is why Pride is one of the 7 Deadly Sins...

(it also happens to be an awesome U2 song...) Ironic, a little....

-----------------

Halifax, if you know of other threads where Eastern religions are discussed, I would appreciate it if you let me know. I enjoy understanding what sort of religion inspires them, and culture, as you mentioned. In many instances, culture and religion are intertwined.

I was told by someone else there was a thread like that in FYM, but I never fond it, or maybe I looked in the wrong way. But that is alright.

For Honor said:
I respect that view, 80sU2

But I don't think anyone has the right to say someones religion is right or wrong... (however, there are exceptions - like if religion came up where you had to kill anyone who looked at you a certain way. That is a poor example, but I hope the meaning is conveyed). And while there may be only one view in one's life, I refuse to accept that such a view is absolute for everyone else.

Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?

I have no doubt that there is a person who thinks that Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or even Athesim is their chosen, absolute religion. But if they said that theirs is the only true faith, and they cling to it closer than anything else in their life,

does that make them wrong?
does that make someone who disagree with them wrong?

I understand what is like to cherrish and worship someone or something, to put it on high and build your life around it. But I think it is essential that we realize we are not alone in doing that. You need to keep in mind that "to each is own"

-------------

First, I just want to say: Very nice post.

Next, I can say "to each his own" as far as tolerating other religious views. However, if I let go of my belief that Christianity is the only true way, then I am saying that the object of my worship, Jesus Christ, was a liar when he said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me". (John 14:6). If I believe that he was a liar, I might as well not have faith in all.

I respect people who have other religious beliefs, and I don't go around telling them they';re bad and their religion is wrong, etc. However, I pray they all find Christ, and I need to witness to them when the Spirit leads.

That is fair, and a good point too.

It is admirable when one has both power and control, and I think people need to strive for that more, myself included.

aislinn said:
*coming out of lurkdom*

Bad Templar, your posts are a joy to read. You're obviously intelligent and you state your point logically and rationally. I appreciate that.

:cute:

Thanks, welcome from out of lurkdom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom