Bono's views on eastern religions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
While reading the "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true... " thread, a question came up in my mind: what does Bono think about eastern religions (ie. Buddhism, Hinduism, Toasm, etc). For someone who has such a deep connection with spirituality, its surpring that he speaks so little about a big chunk of religions human beings practice.

I remember Bono saying:

"I think the Dalai Lama says", 'Begin with death, start from there, and you won't go far wrong.' "I don't think he was just having a bad day."

It clearly wasn't anything hostile and he probably used it to support whatever he was saying. I would imagine that Bono would probably have respect for eastern religions, and he definitely does not seem like the "people who practice other religions will burn in hell" type of Christian.

Halifax said:
I would imagine that Bono would probably have respect for eastern religions, and he definitely does not seem like the "people who practice other religions will burn in hell" type of Christian.

This stereotyping and often demonising (I'm not necessarily accusing you of this Halifax) of Christians who believe Christ is the only way to God is quite disturbing. What's the basis of it?

I don't believe in the traditional fire and brimstone concept of hell but believe that those who reject Christ achieve eternal separation from God. In other words, self-annihilation, which ironically is the culminating state of some eastern religions.

I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. I love the idea that God says 'look, you cretins there are certain results to the way we are, to selfishness and there's mortality as part of your very sinful nature and let's face it, you're not living a very good life are you?' There are consequences to actions. The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That's the point. It should keep us humbled. It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of heaven.

Does this statement bother those who oppose 'exclusivist' Christianity because it appears Bono is advocating exclusivity?

Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Bad Templar said:
I don't believe in the traditional fire and brimstone concept of hell but believe that those who reject Christ achieve eternal separation from God. In other words, self-annihilation, which ironically is the culminating state of some eastern religions.

And I have faith that you are ignorant and believe you have separation from self and other humans. :)

Bad Templar said:
This stereotyping and often demonising (I'm not necessarily accusing you of this Halifax) of Christians who believe Christ is the only way to God is quite disturbing. What's the basis of it?

Stereotyping? Demonising? Where? Who exactly is doing this sterotyping and demonising?

If you're not accusing Halifax of it, then why even bring it up in thread?

In my view such types of debates or arguments are better made in the FYM forum, this forum is to try and discuss U2's faith in a non-provocative way.

Bad Templar said:
Does this statement bother those who oppose 'exclusivist' Christianity because it appears Bono is advocating exclusivity?

Doesn't bother me anyway. Bono is entitled to his view. I know that Bono has many atheist friends because he has said so in interviews. He seems to get along fine with them with they respecting his beliefs and he respecting theirs.

Anyway to go back to the original question, I'm not aware of Bono ever "flirting" with Eastern beliefs to be honest. I seem to recall a quote from an interview where he said that he prefered the idea of grace to the idea of karma.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Palace_Hero said:
And I have faith that you are ignorant and believe you have separation from self and other humans. :)

And your opinion means what? :happy:

financeguy said:
Stereotyping? Demonising? Where? Who exactly is doing this sterotyping and demonising?

If you're not accusing Halifax of it, then why even bring it up in thread?

In my view such types of debates or arguments are better made in the FYM forum, this forum is to try and discuss U2's faith in a non-provocative way.

I was attempting to discuss the label...

"people who practice other religions will burn in hell" type of Christian.

...and the basis of it in a non-provocative way.

I wasn't judging Halifax...only interested in where the assumption came from and its apparent negative connotation.

Last edited:

Bad Templar said:

oh c'mon...you've never seen people who think that "disbelievers are goin' straight to hell!!" (Usually that phrase is accompanied with a 'yeeha!' at the end.) There are tons of people like that. And I believe you answered your "what's the basis of it" question. these people not only believe that Christ is the only way to God, they condemn all other beliefs and can be extremely narrow-minded. I'm not gonna type anymore because that belongs in FYM....but I don't think Bono can be considered someone who believes in exclusiveness (lol is that a word?). He actually had a time where he questioned his faith much. I also don't think he would belive that a child in Africa who died at the age of 8 because of AIDS is going to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Not for nothing but why has this thread turned into a discussion about Christian thought, when it's titled "BONO'S VIEWS ON EASTERN RELIGIONS"!!!!!

Because he might not have any? And anything discussed on the thread would be only mere speculation? :huh:

unosdostres14 said:
exclusiveness (lol is that a word?).

I believe it is!

unosdostres14 said:
I also don't think he would belive that a child in Africa who died at the age of 8 because of AIDS is going to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus Christ.

Not many others would believe that either. :ohmy:

Bad Templar said:

Because he might not have any? And anything discussed on the thread would be only mere speculation? :huh:

But there is already a thread about Bono's views on Christ. And just because he's not a member of a eastern religion doesn't mean he doesn't have any thoughts/views on it.

starsgoblue said:

But there is already a thread about Bono's views on Christ. And just because he's not a member of a eastern religion doesn't mean he doesn't have any thoughts/views on it.

Then the logical thing would do is evaluate things he has said about eastern religions...otherwise let the thread die a natural death.

starsgoblue said:
That would be logical...when I came here I was reading about Christian theology though...:huh:

True. But should a disputed assumption regarding Christian theology go undiscussed? :huh:

The original poster wasn't being disrepectful...he was speaking merely of one type of Christian, of which you can't deny there are some that are like that. He never said all Christians were that way.

This discussion you argue for really isn't appropriate to this thread. I'm interested to hear what people have to say in response to the actual topic of this thread.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Bad Templar said:

And your opinion means what? :happy:

The same as yours1!!111 lol! :happy:

Dude, Halifax wasn't stereotyping or deominsing Christians. He/She was acknowledging a pre-existing stereotype, which does exist.

It is like me talking about a black guy, and then you turning around and saying 'woah don't imply all humans are black'.

Bad Templar said:

On that point you may well be right, I have quite a few books on U2 and have read loads of interviews, have never seen Bono address in detail the issue of Eastern religions apart from the comment on karma vs. grace mentioned above.

As I said, I don't think that Bono has ever "flirted" with any other belief systems and even at the age of 14 or 15 would have been a Christian, though I think his born again experience occured a couple of years later than that. I'm not saying anything disrepectful of Eastern religions (I am agnostic), but I really can't think of any detailed comments from Bono on the issue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Palace_Hero said:
The same as yours1!!111 lol! :happy:

Exactly. Opinions on where other people are going, or not going when they die are relative.

Jews and Muslims think I'm going to hell...
Buddhists think I'm coming back as a lesser lifeform...
Atheists think I'm deluded and will go to my grave deluded...

What do I care?

Bad Templar believes people who reject Christ will be eternally separated from God...who gives a shit?

Out of interest, why did you take such offence at my opinion?

Last edited:
I have several points to make, but since they do not relate to the original topic, I guess I should keep them to myself. As much as I've read about Bono, I can't recall any additional quotes about Eastern religions. His comments on Christianity have implications, but I'll leave that alone.

starsgoblue said:
The original poster wasn't being disrepectful...he was speaking merely of one type of Christian, of which you can't deny there are some that are like that. He never said all Christians were that way.

Palace_Hero said:
Dude, Halifax wasn't stereotyping or deominsing Christians. He/She was acknowledging a pre-existing stereotype, which does exist.

Again, I only have the highest regard for my friend Halifax and didn't accuse he/she of anything. :)

You can imagine my reaction when I found out that a thread I started inquiring about Bono's views in eastern religions has totally turned into a theological slugfest. :lol: I guess its a way of telling me "welcome to interference".

Bad Templar, don't worry I acknowledge that you don't think I'm demonizing the Christian religion at all :cool:. And I wasn't! Every religion has its bad apples, and unfortunately Christianity has its small number of crazy Bible thumpers who arrogently proclaim that people who practice all other religions will burn in hell.

You asked where the "burn in hell" Christian assumption came from? It came from here in another thread I started (you could respond if you want): http://forum.interference.com/t128881.html

Anyway...

CAN...SOMEONE...PLEASE...TELL...ME...IF...BONO...HAS...ANY...VIEWS...ON...EASTERN...RELIGIONS!?!?

Sorry I have to yell, but you sometimes have to resort to extreme measures to keeping a thread on topic :D.

I read the other thread, sorry to hear about your experiences. :hug: Especially getting involved in Hillsong. :sick:

Halifax said:
CAN...SOMEONE...PLEASE...TELL...ME...IF...BONO
...HAS...ANY...VIEWS...ON...EASTERN...RELIGIONS!?!?

[/B]

To my knowledge he has said very little on eastern religions apart from the statement mentioned earlier by favouring grace over karma.

Perhaps he means that all the good karma he could generate in his lifetime (Data, Live Aid etc) could not save his soul.

Edit...I've written a reply on the other thread.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Bad Templar said:

Jews and Muslims think I'm going to hell...

Out of interest, why did you take such offence at my opinion?

I was lurking around this forum and found all the conversations to be interesting though I felt I had nothing of real import to add to it. I'd just like to point out (and no offence to Bad Templar) that the above statement is quite wrong, epecially when it comes to the Jewish community. Jews do not have one real official view on the afterlife. Many devouted Jews believe that all we have is the here and now, while others believe in an afterlife though not necessarily a Christian "heaven and hell" one. The Jewish community also does not try to convert members--in fact, they make it hard to do so. Jews may consider themselves God's chosen people, but they don't think anyone of a different religious belief is going to recieve any sort of punishment. With Muslims I don't know as much about their theology however I was under the impression that moderate Muslims consider all devoted followers of the three religions of Abraham to be saved, though I am not totally sure about this. Just thought I should clear that up.

Back to the original goal of this thread---I don't think there is really much that Bono has said about Eastern religions. The reason he doesn't address them when he does his "coexist" thing is because the Eastern religions are already, for the most part, coexisting with other religions peacefully.

Yeah, to add to what Lemonfix said, being raised Jewish I never once heard anything about Hell, comdemnation, etc. When we would ask in Sunday school we'd get the same answer of "Just worry about creating heaven on earth" or similar. Granted this was a reform congregations, can't speak for all denominations of Judaism.

I realize most religions *do* present an explanation of the afterlife, and I'm not saying that's wrong, but just wanted to clear that up.

I read an article once that said that the Dahli Llama (sp?) asked Bono if he would come to a conference of some kind that proclaimed that all religions are one and the same or something. Bono refused to attend and said that they are one, but not the same.

I don't know if that has any significance whatsoever to the topic of this thread, but I thought I'd just toss that in and see if it helps.

Rachel D. said:
I read an article once that said that the Dahli Llama (sp?) asked Bono if he would come to a conference of some kind that proclaimed that all religions are one and the same or something. Bono refused to attend and said that they are one, but not the same.

I don't know if that has any significance whatsoever to the topic of this thread, but I thought I'd just toss that in and see if it helps.

witty use of your own lyrics bono, very cute.

seriously though, I don't think that's an insult of any kind toward eastern religions in particular. I'm all for unity, but if there's one thing I learned in pre-school, it's that our differences make us special. :D teehee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Originally posted by Lemonfix
I was lurking around this forum and found all the conversations to be interesting though I felt I had nothing of real import to add to it. I'd just like to point out (and no offence to Bad Templar) that the above statement is quite wrong, epecially when it comes to the Jewish community. Jews do not have one real official view on the afterlife. Many devouted Jews believe that all we have is the here and now, while others believe in an afterlife though not necessarily a Christian "heaven and hell" one. The Jewish community also does not try to convert members--in fact, they make it hard to do so. Jews may consider themselves God's chosen people, but they don't think anyone of a different religious belief is going to recieve any sort of punishment.

Originally posted by VertigoGal
Yeah, to add to what Lemonfix said, being raised Jewish I never once heard anything about Hell, comdemnation, etc. When we would ask in Sunday school we'd get the same answer of "Just worry about creating heaven on earth" or similar. Granted this was a reform congregations, can't speak for all denominations of Judaism.

Point taken guys. :wink:

However I was refering to the concept of 'Gehenna' or the 'unquenchable fire' which is a concept written in the prophets and identified with the Valley of Hinnom.

Obviously the Jewish people had a concept of 'hades' in Jesus' time probably because of the influence of hellenism.

Reformed theology probably would not place much emphasis on it these days and it wouldn't mean much to most Jewish people.

Back
Top Bottom