Bono's religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

Bono's Lemon

I was reading this interesting interview with Bono from 1988 and I was surprised to read this:

Is Bono's faith as much of an anchor in his life now as when he first embraced it?

"It's more than that. It's the paradox that God is for the Godless. People who can swim don't need a life-guard. It's just that in the madness of my own life I find sanity in studying the Scriptures when I can and if I can. I'm not a big Church-goer and I don't have any formal religion."

I always assumed Bono followed some sort of formal religion, even though he never discussed in public. The interview can be found at the hotpress.com archive.

Bono said a few things like that around the late 80s, i think another famous one was the 'mother jones' (?) interview he did, when it seemed he was at pains to play down his Christianity after the media had kept calling U2 'pious rockers'

He's been pretty open in interviews that he doesn't follow any specific religion. He had a catholic father and a protestant mother, attended protestant church with his mom until he was a teen, then in late high school joined an evangelical group called Shalom. I've seen several references where he says he doesn't like organized religion which tends to get in the way of spirituality (his comment not mine) and that pops up in his music from time to time.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by Bono's Lemon:

People who can swim don't need a life-guard.

I don't have any formal religion."

The people who can swim quote sounds really familiar to the quote Jesus made about those who aren't sick don't need a doctor. I don't the verse right off hand but do any of you see the similarity?

As for the second quote, probably a year ago, I think it was on @U2.com, they posted Bono's Jubilee 2000 journal. In it he talked about all of the Christians that he was working with and he said something to the effect of "Christians can sometimes be a hard lot to be around (I know because I am one)" Or something to that effect, so at least a year ago Bono was claiming to be a Christian.

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
I've seen several references where he says he doesn't like organized religion which tends to get in the way of spirituality (his comment not mine) and that pops up in his music from time to time.

Sounds like my philosophy...I'm glad someone else sees it that way too.

In it he talked about all of the Christians that he was working with and he said something to the effect of "Christians can sometimes be a hard lot to be around (I know because I am one)" Or something to that effect, so at least a year ago Bono was claiming to be a Christian.

I call myself a Christian, but I don't practice a specific religion, if that makes sense. I'm a Christian, but the term Christian, to me, simply means that I believe that Christ is the savior. To me it doesn't mean that I follow a specific "religion" as in Catholicism or Protestantism. It's an interesting point, I think. The difference between spirituality and religion.

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

You can dream, so dream out loud!

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Originally posted by hippyactress:
I call myself a Christian, but I don't practice a specific religion, if that makes sense. I'm a Christian, but the term Christian, to me, simply means that I believe that Christ is the savior. To me it doesn't mean that I follow a specific "religion" as in Catholicism or Protestantism. It's an interesting point, I think. The difference between spirituality and religion.

Point taken.

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
I've seen several references where he says he doesn't like organized religion which tends to get in the way of spirituality (his comment not mine) and that pops up in his music from time to time.

This is what I think too, not only you hippy.
smile.gif

There are so many things that Bono has said about faith, religion, church and on that is exactly how I feel about it. It's almost scary sometimes. Many times he has put words on my thoughts, things that I couldn't get out myself.

I always assumed Bono followed some sort of formal religion, even though he never discussed in public.

Crouching tiger, hidden presbyterian.
wink.gif

But I've also not6iced a bit of the Catholic traditions seeping in here and there as well...I think I read that he attends Catholic services sometimes and Prebyterian other times, and gospel services when in certain parts of the U.S. I guess Bono is rather a 'religious nomad' of sorts.

I tend to call it "Church Hopping" and I do it myself.

I was raised in the Catholic church, baptized in the Catholic church, went to Catholic school and mass regularly, yet I was never confirmed.

Later on after college I decided while I believe in God, that organized religion was for "the birds" for me. There just seemed to be so much hatred that stemned from people in the church, so judgemental I mean. (what you drink? you do this , do that???)

I think Bono is a Christian, like millions of others that may not necessarily believe in a "catholic" way or a "protestant" way. There's a higher being and going to church is comforting , regardless of the "religion" you chose. I can get comfort from going to an Evangelical church or a Catholic church for a service or inspirational service but I don't claim that church to be all knowing.
Only God can do that.

[This message has been edited by oktobergirl (edited 01-16-2002).]

Deja vu!! Sounds awfully familiar to me...although Catholic Dad, Methodist Mom (converted to Catholicism, I was her Confirmation sponsor). I spent a lot of time attending various services, Lutheran Bible School in the summers, Presbyterian service with a best friend through Jr. High, and primarily Catholic school (5th grade through college). I definitely wound up with a pretty open mind when it comes to spirituality. I've read a lot of Neale Donald Walsch "Conversations with God".

I also tend to read quite a bit into Bono's Jubilee 2000 support as supporting some of the Catholic church's goals, but it's my opinion that he is turned off (as am I) by the Church's heirarchy and control it likes to place over its membership. Religion vs. spirituality again!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

ocU2fan: yes, that same verse came to mind and I don't know exactly where it is, either. Got to get a concordance or some such. Anyways...

Since he jets around so much and can't visit one church (even if he felt comfortable in one
smile.gif
) Bono must have a very strong personal faith and he obviously reads the bible quite a bit on his own...but...

I have heard first hand from a speaker at Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco that he is a member there. I think this is a recent thing. It's an urban church that's well known for it's Gospel Choir and service to the poor. Bono's been to services there in the past. He invited the Choir to one of the Popmart shows in Oakland, dedicating Pride to the Reverend Cecil Williams (if I'm remembering that correctly). He mentioned Glide a couple of times again during the Elevation shows in Oakland.

Course he still lives too far away to really attend Glide, so I'm not sure in what way he is related to them now
smile.gif

Glide is a Methodist church, but it has a very contemporary worship with, besides full choir, a rock band, and it emphasizes inclusion and service to the community.

you can visit their website at www.glide.org

Funny you should mention that church! A coworker visited San Fran recently and a friend of her's brought her to that church ! she said it was such an awesome church and an unbelievable experience and she wished she could find a church like that in LA.

Originally posted by oktobergirl:
Funny you should mention that church! A coworker visited San Fran recently and a friend of her's brought her to that church ! she said it was such an awesome church and an unbelievable experience and she wished she could find a church like that in LA.

Cool! (That she liked it, not that she hasn't found one like it in LA) Hey, if anyone who lives in the Bay Area or is coming to visit would like to check it out, send me a line at debgoldenberg@yahoo.com, be great to do that!

Debbie,

What do you think about Gilde? From what I have read it sounds like they are a "social-gospel, everybody's welcome" sort of church. I have heard the worship is awesome but what is the teaching like? Is it grounded in the Scriptures?

Originally posted by ocu2fan:
Debbie,

What do you think about Gilde? From what I have read it sounds like they are a "social-gospel, everybody's welcome" sort of church. I have heard the worship is awesome but what is the teaching like? Is it grounded in the Scriptures?

Certainly they are doing a lot of good in programs for the poor, probably accomplishing more in their immediate area than any other church does, which says something about the faith there.

And yeh, the worship is very uplifting and affirming. The teaching seems to be a real mixed bag, far as I can see. They are making their message as broad as possible to reach any and all who are disenfranchised and needing hope in their lives. From my very limited experience at worship services and hearing sermons, I would say yes, it's grounded in the Scriptures but they take liberties. Did I contradict myself?

You won't find bibles in the pews, which I'm used to coming from a Presbyterian background. You'll hear less Christian doctrine and more general principals based on Christianity. From my perspective this makes it hard to keep centered on Jesus. Others may see it as freeing. The gospel choir is still singing about the Lord. I once attended an early and late service, and during the early one Cecil used the story of the Samaritan woman at the well, only he changed it drastically in the telling and ended up with some strange point. I was sitting in the back frowning. The next service he kept closer to the bible account and it was much clearer. There isn't a sense of reliance on the Word, maybe because it's an inner city church with lots of tourists. You'll notice in the calendar schedule that there is one slot during the week for bible study, that's it (and it's a large church).

And about accepting everybody, I talked about this in a thread in EYKIW (I put a post about this there a long while back) but I think that it is out of compassion, as Jesus would sit around the table with all kinds of sinners. And that's a whole other discussion what happens when Christians sin
wink.gif

TIME: As usual with U2, there's religious imagery on Pop. Are you a churchgoer?

Bono: I am a believer. But I find it hard to be around religion. I was brought up in a mixed family--Protestant, Catholic--and I've seen what religion has done around here, and I'm just nervous of it. But there's one church that if I was living close by I'd definitely be in the congregation. [It's] in San Francisco--Glide Memorial. Rev. Cecil Williams there looks after the homeless, gays, straights; he marched with Martin Luther King, he's funny as hell--pardon the pun--and you can get an hiv test during the service. Now that's my kind of church.

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
TIME: As usual with U2, there's religious imagery on Pop. Are you a churchgoer?

Bono: I am a believer. But I find it hard to be around religion. I was brought up in a mixed family--Protestant, Catholic--and I've seen what religion has done around here, and I'm just nervous of it. But there's one church that if I was living close by I'd definitely be in the congregation. [It's] in San Francisco--Glide Memorial. Rev. Cecil Williams there looks after the homeless, gays, straights; he marched with Martin Luther King, he's funny as hell--pardon the pun--and you can get an hiv test during the service. Now that's my kind of church.

Wow, has he said this??? Ehh, I guess he has. LOL
That man just keeps surprising me with putting my words and thoughts out in public.
smile.gif

And melon, you are not alone with your thoughts. That's how I feel too. I guess one of the reasons I'm as big fans as I am has to do with his view on church, religion, God... Just like you. As I said earlier here, he keeps surpricing me by saying out loud what I'm thinking to myself on these subjects.

Great topic!
As a lifelong Catholic (via the Prodigal Son route), I can't help but sometimes pull for the "Catholic" in Bono to win out some day. But... I know that is wrong. I have to let him choose his path, as I know it should have no influence in the sometimes stoney one I stumble on.

I also wonder what Bono thinks a church is for. I mean, is he looking for a church that will "give" him something... Make him feel a certain way? Or is he looking for a church where he can praise, worship and thank God, in a gathering with fellow brothers and sisters?

There is no perfect church.

I hope he sticks to Glide Memorial and makes the best of it.

Probably why I've liked U2 as much as I have is because of Bono's unique take on Christianity, mostly because I share much of his belief system. Not that I tried to emulate it ever...it just happened to be that way coincidentally. As I am someone who generally seems to be way left-center of the field, in a world of too many extremes, I'm happy to know there is at least one person there as well.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by ocu2fan:

(I know because I am one)" Or something to that effect, so at least a year ago Bono was claiming to be a Christian.

I don't think there was ever any question as to whether he is a Christian, I think we all know he is. What I think he's trying to say is that he doesn't want to get involved in the specifics. The immaculate conceptions and whatnots. Being half Potestant half Catholic myself (though being raised in a non-church attending home) I see where he's coming from. The specifics are what cause quarreling and bickering among faiths that basically believe the same thing.

I have the same belief system. I am hesitant to identify myself as any particular sect of Christianity. It was not even until recent times when I felt ok saying I am a Christian (I believe in Jesus, always have, but I don't like labels).

-Lil

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 01-25-2002).]

Originally posted by in te domine:
As a lifelong Catholic (via the Prodigal Son route), I can't help but sometimes pull for the "Catholic" in Bono to win out some day.

Eek! I'm a lifelong Catholic (via the guilt-inspired stoic route), and I hope that Bono never commits himself to any Christian sect. To ever hear him regurgitate what the Vatican states verbatim would break my heart...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by hippyactress:

Roman catholic/protestant are not separate religions which is something too many people forget. Separate denominations but not religions. They are all part of Christianity. Going to church does not make you a Christian just as not going does not mean you aren't one. A person could go to church every week of their life and still not be a Christian because they do not believe. Others may believe in the faith but not attend church as there is so much conflict between denominations or they don't like the set out of the service. This does not mean they are not a Christian. Church or no church only you and God truly know if you are or not.

Back
Top Bottom