Bono Launches Blast At Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As an agnostic, this may be totally off-base, but to my perception, I believe Bono is not happy with the way the Church is because it has been full of too many sins, too many mistakes and far too much corruption. Money and greed (televangelists and such) and the recent molestation charges against priests, and so on. Imagine what it would be like (if you do not know already) if the one true thing you believed in was being mottled and ruined by others. Perhaps you may lose faith, or you may still believe. Or, you could be disgusted with it, AND still believe in religion and God. Hasn't organized religion almost gotten a bad name, in some ways? Even if God and such itself was still true, others had corrupted it for their own benefit. I can completely understand why people still participate and believe in it, but if you had truly been horrified by what people "in the name of God" had done, such as killing, wouldn't you be sick of it?

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that you can STILL believe, and still be angry with the way people are mistreating religion, and that is what I think Bono is feeling. I know there *are* good churches, good priests, good ministers, etc. that truly are wonderful people but sometimes you have to pay attention to the worse details before you can enjoy the good ones. Especially when they can be as bad as they are.

I am not trying to force this onto anyone, just my 2 cents.

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

What Bono says are the very reasons I left the church more than 20 years ago.

i think im going to erupt the next time i hear anything along these lines again. bono is just another person, the only reason you agree with anything he says is because you like his music.

bono this bono that, bah bah bah!!!!!! make up your own mind people!! why are we so spineless?!

oh wait, i think i did just erupt.

im sure you intended you merely agree with bono and that he didnt actually change your mind himself.

but the way it sounds around here, being a u2nutzone, bonos word goes. i hope you people dont trust your politicians so blindly, nevermind your faith.

this place is starting to sound as bad as the radiohead forum.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

zoom, I'm not sure that you actually READ the whole thread. Indeed, the person who started it was critiquing Bono's point of view, not agreeing with it, and the bulk of the thread has followed along those lines. If you spend much time in this forum, you should know that it's not all about agreeing with anything U2 says or does just because they're a band we like. Chances are that many of us DO agree with plenty of what they have to say because that's one of the things that drew us to them in the first place. But I think you need to cut people some slack.

I just read this thread, and I have a few things to say:

first, Zoom: that's a pretty depressing signature, sorry that you feel that way!

second, I think it's important to reiteratize what someone (sorry i can't remember or scroll up) pointed out: that Ireland has been wracked with religious wars and hatred forever in ways I don't think we can understand. That stays with you and I'd imagine it would be hard to shake the disillusionment with religions when you live through that.

I had one more thing but i can't word it right.. so, that's it for now.

Olive

------------------
To drink it slow I can't let you go

*U2 Take Me Higher*

olive i see what your saying, especially about the ireland problems, i agree.

sula, really i was just venting at what ive sensed for a long time. as you said, my senses could very well be off.

i just cannot stand to hear when people make up their mind because of what bono says, hes just another human being. it wasnt just in this thread, but ive felt that ive got that from a lot of people for a long time.

------------------

tis ok, zoom. I know what you meant. It annoys me too at times. But I just haven't gotten that vibe from this particular thread or really from this forum in general. It's possible that I have my head in the sand too though...something I'm perfectly willing to admit.
wink.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
tis ok, zoom. I know what you meant. It annoys me too at times. But I just haven't gotten that vibe from this particular thread or really from this forum in general. It's possible that I have my head in the sand too though...something I'm perfectly willing to admit. ;)

friends. :D

------------------

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
i think im going to erupt the next time i hear anything along these lines again. bono is just another person, the only reason you agree with anything he says is because you like his music.

bono this bono that, bah bah bah!!!!!! make up your own mind people!! why are we so spineless?!

oh wait, i think i did just erupt.

im sure you intended you merely agree with bono and that he didnt actually change your mind himself.

but the way it sounds around here, being a u2nutzone, bonos word goes. i hope you people dont trust your politicians so blindly, nevermind your faith.

this place is starting to sound as bad as the radiohead forum.

sula already addressed this very well but I just wanted to say, in case your response was directed at me (since it directly followed my post, it seems like it might've been) I just wanted to add that when I left the church I was a teenager. There was no U2 yet for me to follow or to form opinions based on theirs. However, reading what Bono has written here, I can easily say that it reflects my own long-ago formed opinions quite accurately.

Back
Top Bottom