Bono and Books on God, Faith, Religion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
I have a question for you guys: I am trying to collect the titles of books on faith/religion/god/spirituality, that Bono was involved in in some way or the other. Not books merely written about U2 and their faith, but books that Bono contributed to, like writing a forword or something like that. I heard about a couple of publications, but I am not sure about them. Could also be articles he has written on this subject, that would be interesting, too. So if any of you has any sources or titles, it would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I can tell you that he really loves Eugene Peterson's translation of The Bible, called "The Message". I do too. It really puts everything in plain language. He isn't really "involved" per se in these books, but he's mentioned "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philip Yancey as being one of his favorite books. He has also mentioned reading books by Brennan Manning; a former priest who left the Catholic church and married. Some of those titles are "The Ragamuffin Gospel", "Abba's Child", and "The Signature of Jesus." All of those are amazing books. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now.

He was one of the people interviewed for Catherine Falsani's book "The God Factor". It has just come out in paperback recently. He did the intro for The Book of Psalms edition of the pocket canons published by Canongate.

Books about U2 include:

Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by Steve Stockman

One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God by Christian Scharen

Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog Edited by Raewynne J. Whitney and Beth Maynard

Religious Nuts Political Fanatics: U2 in Theological Perspective by Robert Vagacs

Chapter 12 of Hungry for Heaven: Rock 'n' Roll and the Search for Redemption by Steve Turner

Also Bono in Conversation by Michka Assayas demonstrates that Bono pretty much thinks in biblical metaphor. He uses biblical imagery and metaphor to answer questions that don't seem to have anything to do with religion. He also often uses sexual metaphor to talk about faith which is very intriguing.

Dana

rihannsu said:
He did the intro for The Book of Psalms edition of the pocket canons published by Canongate.
Dana

Also just in case it's of any help to you last unicorn, the above is the UK edition. The American edition is published by Grove Press.

Thanks to all of you! I totally forgot about the Book of Psalms, though I read about it once, but I don't know Bono's intro. Thank you for all the other stuff, some of that I know or already have, some of it is new to me.

Someone on another site one time said that they saw Bono on a plane reading The Case for Christ. He didn't contribute to that book, but apparantly he likes it.

Rachel D. said:
Someone on another site one time said that they saw Bono on a plane reading The Case for Christ. He didn't contribute to that book, but apparantly he likes it.

Interesting. The Case for Christ is a facinating book. For those that haven't read it, it is looking at the life of Jesus through the eyes of a lawyer. I think now I want to read it again.

I have my eye on reading The Case For Faith. Anyone read that one? What did you think?

drdre12 said:

Interesting. The Case for Christ is a facinating book. For those that haven't read it, it is looking at the life of Jesus through the eyes of a lawyer. I think now I want to read it again.

I have my eye on reading The Case For Faith. Anyone read that one? What did you think?

I haven't read any of these books yet, but I think there's one out now called The Case for a Creator.

I love the Case For Christ. It makes me happy that Bono likes it too. It is a really fun book that all ages can read that teaches and remindes us that Jesus will accept you no matter, you just have to remain faithful. Or if you call on Him, He can increase your faith if you let Him. :up:

Hey, does anyone know if Bono reads Max Lucado's books or likes his work at all?

Last edited:
Cute Irish Bono said:
I love the Case For Christ. It makes me happy that Bono likes it too. It is a really fun book that all ages can read that teaches and remindes us that Jesus will accept you no matter, you just have to remain faithful. Or if you call on Him, He can increase your faith if you let Him. :up:

Hey, does anyone know if Bono reads Max Lucado's books or likes his work at all?

I've always wondered that! I've always been a fan of his too.

"Review:
"Bono just won't give up, will he? He won't give up until every hungry body is fed, lonely child is loved, and broken government is repaired. He just won't quit. And he makes me not want to either. Thanks, Bono." Max Lucado, senior pastor, Oak Hills Church, New York Times bestselling author."

Amazing and inspiring! :up: They should really meet each other, don't you think, U2isthebest?

Cute Irish Bono said:
"Review:
"Bono just won't give up, will he? He won't give up until every hungry body is fed, lonely child is loved, and broken government is repaired. He just won't quit. And he makes me not want to either. Thanks, Bono." Max Lucado, senior pastor, Oak Hills Church, New York Times bestselling author."

Amazing and inspiring! :up: They should really meet each other, don't you think, U2isthebest?

Call me Brittany!:hug: That would be cool! They seem like fun guys that love Jesus. Who knows? Maybe they already have met!

Last edited:
I have read several of Max Lucado's books. "And The Angels Were Silent" is still my favorite.
Max discusses the final week of Jesus' life.

:bump:

I didn't want to start up another thread about U2 and religion themed books, but I am searching for some good books about Bono and God, or U2 and religion, or any combo thereof.

What are the best books of that subject out there?

Books about U2 include:

One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God by Christian Scharen

One Step Closer is a book that I found last summer, and I've picked it back up for reference numerous times. The book is a look at the message of the Christian gospel as it is delivered through the music of U2. The chapters are broken down in a manner where the author discusses some topic, then he reviews multiple U2 songs that he feels apply to that topic. Athough the author didn't work with U2 in making the book, he relies heavily on quotes from Bono & Co. in laying the foundation for his interpretations of their music.

The book is a pretty quick read, and it is very easy to go back and find specific sections of the book to review.

One Step Closer is a book that I found last summer, and I've picked it back up for reference numerous times. The book is a look at the message of the Christian gospel as it is delivered through the music of U2. The chapters are broken down in a manner where the author discusses some topic, then he reviews multiple U2 songs that he feels apply to that topic. Athough the author didn't work with U2 in making the book, he relies heavily on quotes from Bono & Co. in laying the foundation for his interpretations of their music.

The book is a pretty quick read, and it is very easy to go back and find specific sections of the book to review.

Cool, thanks.

This is a subject I've obviously have read about over the years, thanks to being a U2 fan, but only recently have I wanted to get more "in-depth" with it.

Cool, thanks.

This is a subject I've obviously have read about over the years, thanks to being a U2 fan, but only recently have I wanted to get more "in-depth" with it.

YES! "One Step Closer" is an awesome book. I bought it last year. The author's name is Christian Scharen. I also like "Walk On" by Steve Stockman, but I know a lot of people feel differently for whatever reason(s). Also, you might already have, but Bono really goes in-depth on his personal faith in "Bono: In Conversation", and all of the guys discuss theirs' in "U2 by U2".

also, get the book, On The Move by Bono it was a speech said by Bono on the national prayer breakfast day in Washingon in 06'. there he talks scriptures regarding the worlds poor and justice and equality. its a tiny book, very thin.

They were all children except for one of an older man, and one landscape. And yes very beautiful photos :up:

There's a picture in On the Move of the boy that Bono has talked about. The one whose father tried to get Bono to take him so that he would live. They couldn't of course because it was against the rules but Bono tells that story often and in his dedication to Africa shows that in a way he did take him. There was an article about the book where Bono talked about picking out the photos and he and Ali were in their kitchen going over the pictures to choose which ones would go in the book and they found the picture of the boy and both of them broke down and cried because they hadn't realized that they had a picture of him.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom