Bill Hicks on what has become the tradition of "Easter"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
... they (Australia) celebrate Easter the exact same way we do: commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night. Now, I wonder why we?re f***** up as a race. Anybody got any idea? You know, I?ve read the Bible. I can?t find the word bunny or chocolate anywhere in the f***ing book. Where do they come up with this sh*t? Why not goldfish left Lincoln logs in your sock drawer? As long as you?re making sh*t up - you know - go hog-wild. At least the goldfish with a Lincoln log on its back going across your carpet has some miraculous connotations: "Mum, today I found a Lincoln log in me sock drawer." That?s the story of Jesus...

- Bill Hicks

I'm not so sure I agree w/ this man's methods, but I think the point he's trying to make about Easter is quite valid. I guess this has happened with any/all "Christian Holidays"...they don't seem to be too Chrstian anymore.

Side note: Anyone know anything more about Bill Hicks? I don't know much about him...anything would be appreciated.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

I used to date the manager of a local Improv, so I got to see Bill live and kickin...and smokin like a chimney.
wink.gif
He was a very ascerbic, acid-tongued, quick-witted, HILARIOUS comedian, who's life was cut very short - he died of cancer a few years back, and I think he was only in his early 30s. I remember crying from laughter and my face hurt from smiling, whenever he'd perform. I heard that many in the entertainment community believe that Dennis Leary completely stole his edgy, constant-chain-smoking stage act straight from Bill Hicks and rode it all the way to the top (movies and TV).

Bill was very talented as a comedian, and had some great, tho warped, views on life, love, women, sex, TV, music...you name it. A very sad loss. He could have been one of the big ones, easy.

I tend to agree with him on the Easter thing....what once started as pagan, Druid celebrations, which were then turned into "Christian" holidays, seem to have come full circle, and now have very little to do with CHRIST, and everything to do with getting more and more, partying like mad, a fat bearded man in a red suit, flying reindeer, and a bunny who leaves chocolate eggs...they all may have had special meaning at one time, but that seems to have been lost by the wayside...

Thanks a lot for the info! I checked out his website and he definitely has some odd views on things, but the more I read his quote on Easter the more I like it. It's so harsh, yet so true.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Back
Top Bottom