Besides U2 what other Christian stuff u listen to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I have Something Like Silas' "Divine Intervention"spinning on my ipod. Also, I have been spinning cd's by James Joyce, Delirious and Jars of Clay. Strangely enough, u2 are probably partially responsible for my interest in faith based music. Back in 98, a u2 fan suggested that I check out Delirious' Mezzamorphisis....

Delirious? are in a situation similar to U2 when they were in the Shalom community church, they want to break away from the "Christian music ghetto" but they risk offending their fans and facing a mainstream audience that views them as strictly "CHRISTIAN". They've always been compared to U2 throughout their career.

As for me, Jars of Clay, TM, switchfoot are the ones I listen to mostly.

it's sad that a band like u2 can't weave faith into their songs, like they would any other belief/idea, without being labeled by some people as a "christian" band. i think bono would puke if u2 was labeled like that...

its mainly to do with some Christian groups/movements in America, all-consuming is their desire to engage society with Christianity that they used U2 for their own purposes and in some cases misrepresenting U2. I would feel used if I was U2.

Imagine U2 being a poster boy for right-wing Christianity?

I'm a big fan of Delirious, although I was disappointed with their most recent offering. To be honest though, i've never seen the similarity between Martin Smith's voice and Bono's voice.
I think Cathy Burton has the most amazing voice too.

Yeah, I don't listen to a whole lot of Christian music either. I could probably get into some, maybe I just haven't found my band - not necessarily to replace U2 or anything. You know what, I actually don't listen to that many secular bands either. U2 does it for me for the most part, they've got songs about faith, struggle, and reality. I can relate to pretty much all of their songs in a way.

I've only started to get back into some Christian music...I forgot to mention sixpence none the richer, for a guy like me to like them is a big thing. Keep it secret please....no wait this is the internet :D

Right now, I'm switching to hip hop...those beats are so irresistibly delicious.

Sue DeNym said:
The only Christian artist I regularly listen to is Steve Taylor, and he hasn't released an album in ten years... :|

Steve Taylor is awesome, and it is high time he released a new one!

I also like David Meece, Daniel Amos, The Alarm, Tribe Of Judah, Post-94 Alice Cooper, Maire (Moya) Brennan (Enya's sister), The Call

Everyone here who likes U2's 90s stuff and even their last two albums must check out this new band called Mute Math. I'm serious. They sound nothing like Christian music and they could easily cross over into the mainstream and do very well. Check out www.mutemath.com Taylor Sorensen also is very good and highly recommended.

Salvador!!!

Awesome musicians. All of them. They're latin influenced mixed with rock. I never thought I'd find an actually talented christian with their own style but lo and behold! ...Salvador.

starsgoblue said:
To be honest I don't really like Christian music even though I'm a Christian. I like U2's spirituality because while it is evident...it's not in your face. Know what I mean?

Agreed. It's really nice to listen to their songs that do deal with religion, 'cause I can relate so well to them, as can anybody, regardless of what faith, they are, and non-religious people can still relate, too. I like that :).

So yeah, there's not really a big thing of Christian artists in my CD collection...however, that being said, I did like this song that came out earlier this year by a girl named Mindy Smith-the song was "Come To Jesus", and yeah, it wasn't a bad song. And I've only heard one Jars of Clay song-that one that's their best known one, think it's called "Flood" or something like that-that's not a bad song, either.

Angela

I don't listen to any Christian music, but my 2 favorite bands are very spiritual: U2 and Live. I like these two bands because their lyrics are obsure and open to interpretation, and they're not preachy. And the music rocks!!!

I was just hangin with my Pastor and he bought me a copy of Mutemath, to think i was gonna go down to a shop and buy it next week. These guys are just evolutionary. Control reminds me of Beautiful Day for some reason. Its one of those songs u jump around in ur room in.

This disco used to be a cute cathedral...

You named some bands from the era of good music - David Meece - wow, what about Randy Stonehill "Celebrate this Heartbeat" The Call, The Alarm, Simple Minds and Lone Star Justice. 77's! these bands got me thru High School...
80sU2isBest said:

Steve Taylor is awesome, and it is high time he released a new one!

I also like David Meece, Daniel Amos, The Alarm, Tribe Of Judah, Post-94 Alice Cooper, Maire (Moya) Brennan (Enya's sister), The Call

Re: This disco used to be a cute cathedral...

U2FanOctoberOn said:
You named some bands from the era of good music - David Meece - wow, what about Randy Stonehill "Celebrate this Heartbeat" The Call, The Alarm, Simple Minds and Lone Star Justice. 77's! these bands got me thru High School...

I still believe that American fast food is a stupid way to die. It certinly doesn't give me much strength; however I am still alive and kicking, at least enough to play ping pong over the abyss while taking shelter from the cold outside.

Last edited:
Re: Re: This disco used to be a cute cathedral...

I found a new best friend!

These bands were simply Christians in a band, bringing light to a culture that would not have listened to a "Christian" band.

80sU2isBest said:

I still believe that American fast food is a stupid way to die. It certinly doesn't give me much strength; however I am still alive and kicking, at least enough to play ping pong over the abyss while taking shelter from the cold outside.

Re: This disco used to be a cute cathedral...

U2FanOctoberOn said:

Ohhhhh, yeah, the Alarm do have some religious themes in their music, too-I forgot about that. I like them, too. Again, they talk about religion without being all preachy.

Never considered Simple Minds as a "Christian" band, though...

Angela

Re: Re: This disco used to be a cute cathedral...

Jim Kerr was probably the least vocal about his faith, but Mike Peters, Bono, Michael Been, and Maria McKee all have strong faith but did not offend with it.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Ohhhhh, yeah, the Alarm do have some religious themes in their music, too-I forgot about that. I like them, too. Again, they talk about religion without being all preachy.

Never considered Simple Minds as a "Christian" band, though...

Angela

Shaizari said:
its mainly to do with some Christian groups/movements in America, all-consuming is their desire to engage society with Christianity that they used U2 for their own purposes and in some cases misrepresenting U2. I would feel used if I was U2.:yes:

Imagine U2 being a poster boy for right-wing Christianity?:eek:

i totally agree, they can't except U2 for what they are and they have to hate/condemn any music that does not fit exactly in their little box.

I missed this thread!

Big ones at our house are Third Day, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot, SCC, Michael W Smith (though I wasn't impressed with his most recent release), Bebo Norman, just starting to get into Trevor Morgan.

Shaizari said:
MWS did a song with U2 for HTDAAB but didn't make the cut, any ideas anyone?

really? Are you serious?

Personally, i like Sixpence None the Richer and DC Talk. And some songs to numerous to mention: the Newsboys' "Breakfast", Jars of Clay's "Overjoyed."
I think my favorite song (not just out of Christian songs, but out of ALL songs) might be "Jesus Freak" (dc Talk). It may have taken on new meaning when i was called a "jesus freak" back in HS...

Last edited:
in the "where the album has a name" forum, the song is called "Northern Star", it was about JONNHY Cash.

I like Sixpence too, Divine Discontent was one of my best buys.

I got called a fanatic in HS by a friend, he's one of me now, bwahahahahaha.....

Back
Top Bottom