"A Year of Jubilee"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neutral

genius of compression, Forum Moderator
forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
I feel really stupid that I don't know this :reject: but I was just listening to a live version of One w/ Bono and Daniel Lanois from the Millenium Ball in DC, and Bono says this before the song:

"The scriptures call for this to be a year of jubilee, and this is my prayer".

Can anyone tell me more about what specific passages he is referencing, etc?

neutral, Bono was referrign to the passage from Leviticus (25:10) which talks about the Old Testament habit of forgiving debt owed to you by others.

This Biblical passage was the basis of the Jubilee 2000 movement which got the initial $435 million in debt forgiveness for some of the world's poorest countries during the Clinton administration.

Bono was celebrating that victory at the Millenium Ball with the Clintons and sending a prayer forward for more of the same to follow. :up:

As we know, Bono's organization DATA is short for "Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa". Bono is also part of the MakePovertyHistory campaign which has debt cancellation for the world's poorest countries as one of their main goals.

Thanks for asking the question.

Here's where you can find out more on the Biblical reference to debt forgiveness:

http://www.jubileeusa.org/

The Bible tells us so:
Texts in both the Hebrew Scriptures and throughout the New Testament call for debt cancellation and the righting of relationships every 7 years with a super Jubilee every 50th year. The practice of debt cancellation can also be found in history among early Pagan kings. The Koran also challenges debt by harshly criticizing usury.
"Proclaim liberty throughout the lands and to all the inhabitants thereof, it shall be a jubilee for you." Leviticus 25:10

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:wink:

You're welcome, neutral.:wink:

Always willing to help. It was a great question.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:yes:

Little did I know I would be watching this a week later for another reason all together! Great performance! I don't know what made me post in here before - but the title of the thread caught my eye within minutes after watching.

Back
Top Bottom