a tony compolo vid that talks about Bono/u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popsadie

Acrobat
While surfing the blogspace I came upon an interesting video of Tony Campolo and Mark Lowry discussing Bono, U2 and their chaplain. Apparently, Tony had dinner with Bono before a Philadelphia Vertigo show. The Bono mentioning starts at about 4 or 5 minutes into it. compolo/bono vid

That was incredible. So the old man's name is Jack Heaslip? I haven't heard of this. I didn't know they kept in touch with any of those guys, except their original friends before the group.

Actually, Jack Heaslip was one of their teachers at Mount Temple who later became an Anglican minister. He married Bono and Ali. I"ve heard a message he preached at a this amazingly dynamic church in Dublin called CORE. If I can find it....I'll post it!

coemgen said:
But he goes on tour with them as a spiritual guide?

Fascinating. I've never heard that.

He does. I first heard of it from Beth Maynard a co-author of "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching The U2 Catalogue." I think Bono mentions it in "U2 by U2" also.

I felt shame about the two, Mark Lowry & Tony Campolo.

Beautiful things will sell themselves just like good music, and now they act like Britney Spears striping on the stage in the name of God?

Thank you very much, but you made me sick to my stomach and I just wanted to throw up!

One wrist band is not a fashion accessory, people join and support the organization because they believe in the cause, not only because they liked Bono.

Please stop using him like a bait or some kind of sexy model who just happen to fit your moral rules and put him free of charge, to your advertisement over and over again for your God. Show some respect to this man!:huh:

butter.....they were joking. Lowry is a comedian and is simply joking. Bono highly respects Tony from what I've read. Also, It isn't just their God, as this and many many other quotes, songs and glances into Bono's life shows...Bono believes in this God, the God of the Old and New testament, as well.

popsadie said:
butter.....they were joking. Lowry is a comedian and is simply joking. Bono highly respects Tony from what I've read. Also, It isn't just their God, as this and many many other quotes, songs and glances into Bono's life shows...Bono believes in this God, the God of the Old and New testament, as well.

Thank you. I'd rather believe they joking too, because if not...oh well...*sigh*

I think it's just too much now, these things start getting on my nerves. Just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CgvgjfwyPs

And then read a story in someone's blog, about an American borned polish gay boy, how his truly faithful catholic parent abused him, abandoned him and all his schoolmate laughed at him. :madspit:

Now I'm really really terrified.

U2isthebest said:
Actually, Jack Heaslip was one of their teachers at Mount Temple who later became an Anglican minister. He married Bono and Ali. I"ve heard a message he preached at a this amazingly dynamic church in Dublin called CORE. If I can find it....I'll post it!

He also helped Bono get through the time of his mothers death. So he has known him since he was very young.

U2isthebest said:
He does. I first heard of it from Beth Maynard a co-author of "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching The U2 Catalogue." I think Bono mentions it in "U2 by U2" also.

Actually, there is a pretty amazing bootleg out there (I have a copy, but I think it is packed back with all my pre-Peace Corps stuff in Minnesota) of the dress rehearsal before the first Elevation show. After the run-through, Bono tells the crew that Jack is going to come up and ask for God's blessings on the upcoming tour. Heaslip gives a rousing mini-sermon and then prays. It's really cool. Seems to me that we posted about it in this forum waaaay back, so I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Edited to add...I found the transcript! :yes: This is something that I typed out myself while listening to that bootleg way back in the day. Enjoy.

Next time we hear this music, it struck me there will be people everywhere, which will transform everything. And that a great deal about what I feel this tour is what is gonna happen to the people who come here, who are gonna be touched by this album and who have already been touched by the album and the albums over the years. So, I thought of a Psalm, Psalm 61 which has pretty pretentious words, but then they were used by Jesus himself about himself, so I suppose we could do no better than that really. And it just starts "The spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor." And I felt that what we want God to do tonight is to pour his anointing. Now that's not just a dab on the forehead, that's a rich anointing of his oil. We are told the oil would flow down from the top of your head and in my case into your beard and down your front to make a mess. And that's the richness of God's anointing.

And what I felt that God wanted me to do today was to pour out in his name that anointing on everything to do with this tour: everybody and everything. We think of the band, but we think of every piece of equipment and everyone who works that piece of equipment. Everyone who backs up, everyone who drives a car, everyone who does the catering, everyone who is responsible for technology, every joint of wire, every plug, every socket, every light. So we ask for that anointing to be poured out by the power of his Spirit.

So we simply say, "Come holy Spirit and reign. Pour out your rule and anointing on this tour. Let nothing be an obstacle. Just melt away anything that is not of you, so that your power can flow without interruption. And we claim your blessing and your anointing because we ask it in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

Psalm 116 has a nice response. The question is "how do you respond to the blessing of God." And the answer is "Celebrate! And drink a toast to God." So...to God!

Last edited:
:drool:

That. Is. Incredible.

I can't believe I've never heard of him being their spiritural guy until now. I mean gosh, it's like next you're going to tell me there from Ireland or something.

(just kidding)

Thanks for sharing, sulawesigirl4. that's the coolest thing I've ever come across in these threads.

If anyone knows of a way I could get the audio of this, I'd be very thankful. coemgen17@hotmail.com

Yeah, I remember the first time I listened to that bootleg...it kinda knocked me on my arse. Just...WOW! Considering that the four elevation shows I attended were some of the most significant spiritual experiences of my life, it was very interesting to know that the band's spiritual mentor had been involved in such a way. Anyways, I still get chills every time I listen.

Like I said, I know I have a copy of the boot, but it's packed away. I'm going to be up in MN the end of this month and hope to ship everything down here at that time, so if/when I find it... :sexywink:

http://www.corechurch.ie/talks.php

This is the link to download messages from CORE church in Dublin. If you click on Jack Heaslip's name all the messages he's preached there are avaliable to download. The one I mentioned is called "Where Is Your Azotus". If you're reading from the top of the list down, click on the 2nd link for that message. The website takes a little while to work, so just be patient!

sulawesigirl4 said:
Yeah, I remember the first time I listened to that bootleg...it kinda knocked me on my arse. Just...WOW! Considering that the four elevation shows I attended were some of the most significant spiritual experiences of my life, it was very interesting to know that the band's spiritual mentor had been involved in such a way. Anyways, I still get chills every time I listen.

Like I said, I know I have a copy of the boot, but it's packed away. I'm going to be up in MN the end of this month and hope to ship everything down here at that time, so if/when I find it... :sexywink:

Did I mention you rock? Because you do. :wink:

Again, thanks for sharing.

U2isthebest said:
http://www.corechurch.ie/talks.php

This is the link to download messages from CORE church in Dublin. If you click on Jack Heaslip's name all the messages he's preached there are avaliable to download. The one I mentioned is called "Where Is Your Azotus". If you're reading from the top of the list down, click on the 2nd link for that message. The website takes a little while to work, so just be patient!

Did I mention you rock? Because you do. :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

This really brings up questions as to how Adam has grown spiritually, too? Have you guys heard anything regarding his faith and Heaslip?

Wow that is an wonderful prayer. My life was changed just from watching DVDs of the Elevation tour! I can see why.

I haven't heard anything specific about Adam's faith, except Bono saying "And Adam, he's a believer too, just took him a longer journey..." Something like that.

I think if you go back to Adam's lowpoint when he was too drunk to play in Sydney during Zoo tv. Instead of kicking him out of the band or whatever, they got round him and said, "What are we going to do? How can we help you." I mean thats amazing grace and friendship and love right there.

I think, how could you be in a band with these guys who are living their faith in such a real way, and not come to the Lord?

coemgen said:
This really brings up questions as to how Adam has grown spiritually, too? Have you guys heard anything regarding his faith and Heaslip?

Yeah, I've never heard anything regarding his faith and Heaslip specifically, butI think Bono says in "Bono: In Conversation", he is a Believer now. If I'm recalling correctly Micshcka (sp) asks if they're all Believers now and Bono says something along the lines of "Yes, Adam was on his own path for awhile and it took him further out into the world, but right now I'd say he was the most spiritually centered one of the band." To which Mischka asks something like "Because of that path?" Bono responds with "Yes, he's the most watchful of the sheep who stray out of the herd." He also mentions it in "U2 by U2" in a slightly different way. He says something like "For a long time, Adam had to walk such a seperate path because he was an individual in a band of God botherers." Then he goes on to say, but Adam has always made him think about his own spiritual life more, etc. Then he ends it with saying something like "He had his own journey, but he's there now. He's coming into something rather than out of it." That was all paraphrasing, but pretty close to what was actually said.

Trinity3000 said:
Wow that is an wonderful prayer. My life was changed just from watching DVDs of the Elevation tour! I can see why.

I haven't heard anything specific about Adam's faith, except Bono saying "And Adam, he's a believer too, just took him a longer journey..." Something like that.

I think if you go back to Adam's lowpoint when he was too drunk to play in Sydney during Zoo tv. Instead of kicking him out of the band or whatever, they got round him and said, "What are we going to do? How can we help you." I mean thats amazing grace and friendship and love right there.

I think, how could you be in a band with these guys who are living their faith in such a real way, and not come to the Lord?

You took the words right out of my mouth, just more eloquently!:applaud: :rockon: :hug:

Yeah, I had heard that stuff about Adam before. I just wondered if there was anything related to his spiritual growth and Heaslip out there. Of course knowing more about where the other three are at, there's the intriguing mystery of where Adam is.

I'm still in shock I never knew this. It's just flat out fascinating.

coemgen said:
:drool:

That. Is. Incredible.

I can't believe I've never heard of him being their spiritural guy until now. I mean gosh, it's like next you're going to tell me there from Ireland or something.

(just kidding)

Thanks for sharing, sulawesigirl4. that's the coolest thing I've ever come across in these threads.

If anyone knows of a way I could get the audio of this, I'd be very thankful. coemgen17@hotmail.com

I'd love a copy of this too if someone comes up with it.

graffeodl@yahoo.com

Dana

I have those rehearsal too, it took me some time to find it.

Bono talks a bit before the prayer and afterwards.
'Jack is gonna do his thing if he hasn't fallen asleep in a flightcase" :wink:

He usually blesses the tour, but I don't know if he really joins them throughout though.

I hope sulawesigirl doesn't mind me posting this in her place.

Since this isn't anything official, I'll post the link here for everyone (just remove the space):

http://www.send space.com/file/2p8gjt

:reject: Sorry Lies, I didn't see your post there..

Wow. Wow. Wow. Amazing. I know Bono's been more open about his faith as time goes on, especially in "Bono In Conversation," and as someone who became a committed Christian because of the way Bono lives out his faith, it's been exciting to read that. This, however, is a rare look at their faith. It's truly a treasure. Thanks greety for sharing it. It's the most amazing thing. And Lies and sulawesigirl, thanks for being willing to share it, too.

God bless, guys.

coemgen

Back
Top Bottom