6 Dayer Or Theistic Evolutionist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think they've ever said anything specific on that but look at the lyrics to Wild Honey. To me that song says God there during evolution too. I've never understood what the big deal is because for me nothing about evolution in any way disproves God, it just means he doesn't micromanage.

Dana

rihannsu said:
I don't think they've ever said anything specific on that but look at the lyrics to Wild Honey. To me that song says God there during evolution too. I've never understood what the big deal is because for me nothing about evolution in any way disproves God, it just means he doesn't micromanage.

Dana

but in Wake Up Dead Man they say:

"Your father, He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven"

so... I don't know, like you said, it doesn't really matter.

pattip2000 said:

but in Wake Up Dead Man they say:

"Your father, He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven"

so... I don't know, like you said, it doesn't really matter.

When I was very young maybe 2nd grade my uncle, who is a doctor and a devout Catholic literally agonized over the whole science/God thing. I remember talking to my mother about it and she was trying to explain the conflicts between science and God and all this stuff and I just didn't get what the problem was. So she finally asked me why I didn't have any problem with it. I said, "Well God made everything, right? So he made the fossils and all this other stuff that the scientists find right? So no matter what they find, he made it so how can that disprove God? Isn't that what faith is all about, if you believe then nothing can get in the way of that."

As I got older it still didn't bother me. As far as the whole seven days thing for me I don't figure that God uses a 24 hour clock since that is based on the Earth's rotation and since God has a whole universe to play with why would he be confined to Earth's time keeping. Maybe that was the result of reading a lot of science fiction. Anyway none of the arguements about evolution have ever made much sense to me as all I get out of it is that those Christians have such a weak faith that any little thing is liable to upset it.

Dana

rihannsu said:
but look at the lyrics to Wild Honey. To me that song says God there during evolution too.

Hence why I specifically asked about THEISTIC evolution and not just evolution on its own. Theistic evolution is God driven evolution

I've never understood what the big deal is because for me nothing about evolution in any way disproves God, it just means he doesn't micromanage.

Dana

It's not a big deal and :mad: I wasn't trying to disprove God or anyone's belief therein hence my intentional use of the word Theistic.

Theistic Evolution is a common Christian stance :)

Last edited:
The Fiddler said:

Hence why I specifically asked about THEISTIC evolution and not just evolution on its own. Theistic evolution is God driven evolution

It's not a big deal and :mad: I wasn't trying to disprove God or anyone's belief therein hence my intentional use of the word Theistic.

Theistic Evolution is a common Christian stance :)

Uhmm, chill man, I didn't think you were attacking anyone and I didn't think I was jumping down your throat either. Since I don't know what 6th dayers are or what Theistic evolution is I just commented that the song is to me a comment on the whole evolution arguement. It's the only thing I've run across in U2 that has any reference at all to evolution. I wasn't saying that you were trying to disprove God just talking about my experiences with people who were. I don't travel in Christian circles or go to church although I do believe in God. I couldn't ever find a church with real people in it instead of fakers so I quit trying. Sorry if you thought I was jumping on you, really I wasn't.

Dana

Then, the title "Original of the Species" is a takeoff on Charles Darwin's "Origin of the Species".

I'm not pretending to know or speculate anything about U2's theology. Just pointing out another evolution reference.:nerd:

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:
Then, the title "Original of the Species" is a takeoff on Charles Darwin's "Origin of the Species".

I'm not pretending to know or speculate anything about U2's theology. Just pointing out another evolution reference.:nerd:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one. I saw a youtube clip from the Zoo era were Bono was talking about a U2 tribute group called the Dopplegangers and he used the line "original of the species". Just goes to show how he hangs on to the line he likes until he finds a song for them.

Dana

seems to me that "wild honey" is pro-evolution and explicitly states that homo sapiens are descendents of another sapien species who swung down from the trees. Bono even admits that he was once a monkey.

so i think this means he's not a Christian.

finally, the truth is out.

Irvine511 said:
seems to me that "wild honey" is pro-evolution and explicitly states that homo sapiens are descendents of another sapien species who swung down from the trees. Bono even admits that he was once a monkey.

so i think this means he's not a Christian.

finally, the truth is out.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

:mad: Pro Evolution does not equal Anti Christian.

Many Christians are Theistic Evolutionists, that is they believe that God plays a role in the evolutionary process.

The Fiddler said:

Nothing could be further from the truth.

:mad: Pro Evolution does not equal Anti Christian.

Many Christians are Theistic Evolutionists, that is they believe that God plays a role in the evolutionary process.

nope. either the Bible is true, or you're wrong.

it was 7 days. full stop. Jesus rode around on dinosaurs. carbon dating is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on humanity.

Irvine511 said:

it was 7 days. full stop. Jesus rode around on dinosaurs. carbon dating is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on humanity.

be nice :shame:

Irvine511 said:

The Bible is true, but not literally, and, I'm right

it was 7 days. full stop.

I think you'll find it was SIX :p

Jesus rode around on dinosaurs.
Was that what they were called, I thought they were called donkeys, ah well I learn something new every day :ohmy:

carbon dating is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on humanity.
You'll be able to substantiate that claim then, with realiable evidence?

i'm passionately agnostic, i just get irritated when people try to claim U2 as their "own" kind of Christian and search through lyrics and interviews for some offhanded comment that can be twisted to formulate support for whatever brand of Christianity they've already purchased.

that said, "wild honey" is clealry pro-evolution.

Irvine511 said:
i'm passionately agnostic, i just get irritated when people try to claim U2 as their "own" kind of Christian and search through lyrics and interviews for some offhanded comment that can be twisted to formulate support for whatever brand of Christianity they've already purchased.

that said, "wild honey" is clealry pro-evolution.

I don't like this either.

However, it's an even bigger stretch to say Bono isn't a Christian. Considering this, I can't blame Christians of various kinds to try to identify with him.

coemgen said:
I can't blame Christians of various kinds to try to identify with him.

Sure, but why does identifying so often end up being co-opting. :( I say, let the man say what's on his mind and agree or disagree as you will, but we'd all be better off to respect that even within the umbrella called "Christian" there is going to be (and should be) diversity of views. That's part of what believing in the whole Jesus/God thing entails, doesn't it? Freedom of choice/will/opinion, etc.? Unfortunately, there seems to be a very vocal strain of religiousness (I wouldn't even deign to call it Christianity) that has to have all the answers and if someone doesn't have word-for-word answers that match ours then they're by default not in our club. Thus all the speculation over Bono's faith. Is he in our club or not? Did he give all the right answers? :shrug:

sulawesigirl4 said:

Sure, but why does identifying so often end up being co-opting. :( I say, let the man say what's on his mind and agree or disagree as you will, but we'd all be better off to respect that even within the umbrella called "Christian" there is going to be (and should be) diversity of views. That's part of what believing in the whole Jesus/God thing entails, doesn't it? Freedom of choice/will/opinion, etc.? Unfortunately, there seems to be a very vocal strain of religiousness (I wouldn't even deign to call it Christianity) that has to have all the answers and if someone doesn't have word-for-word answers that match ours then they're by default not in our club. Thus all the speculation over Bono's faith. Is he in our club or not? Did he give all the right answers? :shrug:

I for one am glad that Bono doesn't care if he's in the club or not, he just lives his life. I ran across a quote recently from someone who attended one of the rescreenings of Bono's interview with Bill Hybels. They were talking about having overheard two ministers leaving after the viewing and hearing one comment to the other that he went in to it wondering if Bono was a Christian and came out wondering if he was. Bono doesn't bother defending his actions he just keeps the attention on the work he is doing and in the process sometimes people wake up and see the point.

Dana

coemgen said:

I don't like this either.

However, it's an even bigger stretch to say Bono isn't a Christian. Considering this, I can't blame Christians of various kinds to try to identify with him.

but it's other Christians who say that Bono isn't a Christian.

and that's the whole line of thougth i've been parodying, and that was elucidated by Sula -- if we take (literally) the lyrics of "wild honey," it's fairly clear that Bono thinks that people did evolve by swinging down from those trees and making tools and so on and so forth.

hence, by some rigid standards, Bono is not a Christian because, for some, belief in Creationism is a litmus test to get into the tree house.

and i also find it interesting to watch the sort of straining and twisting and reaching to take science, and wrap it into whatever God paradigm we already have, i.e., theistic evolution.

Irvine511 said:
, i just get irritated when people try to claim U2 as their "own" kind of Christian

I wan't trying to do that. I don't actually care if he is TE or 6 day, (there are bigger fish to fry like trying to win round our agnostic friends ;)) I just wondered if anyone knew out of pure curiosity :)

Back
Top Bottom