Quick, find your old analogue dial up short wave radio stations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
^ When I was 13 my mum bought me a Sony CFS-W308L double deck four band radio on which I used to spend hours recording room noize, putting songs in high speed dubbing and fiddling with the knob on the dial up radio. My curiosity was particularly aroused whenever I heard either morse code beeps, or a man or a woman randomly reading out a series of numbers. There was never any explanation for these 'stations' and when I asked my mum she didn't know what they were either. It wasn't until I was looking through a book by an investigative journalist that I found the answer to these so called number stations. This revelation was very exciting and a little creepy. Number stations are in fact messages given by various national secret services to their representative spies!

http://speechificationaudio.s3.amazonaws.com/BBC_R4_Tracking_the_Lincolnshire_Poacher_24112006.mp3

Numbers station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also flicked through Spycatcher by Peter Wright (former MI5 agent) and mentions of countries using short wave radio messages is mentioned numerous times

Back
Top Bottom