It's Official: I work 10 hours on Black Friday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
Thought I'd vent about my insane work schedule: I have these few days off (I work part time in a department store as I'm still in school) and I found out today I'm scheduled to work from the early afternoon till close on the biggest shopping day of the year!

Insanely crowded store, crabby pushy rushing customers, cash registers halting coz of overuse, bagging clothes, giving advice, moving around trying to give attention to one customer while someone else is yelling about the prices, no breaks at all....

Give me strength. :pray:

Well.. it's just one day. :happy:

That bites. Good thing, though, it's not in the morning. :yes: That's when the crazy people are at their craziest, stampeding to get the one-hour sales and trying to hit 7 stores in half an hour...:yikes:

I know, my other co workers start at 4 am. We open the store at 5 in the morning... door buster sales and all. :crack:

elevated_u2_fan said:
Just make sure you don't wear those boots, that would be murder on your arches...

:lol:

I only wear comfy shoes to work. Imagine wearing these boots and tripping over something and falling in a crowd of people? :laugh:

:eek:

that sucks :( hang in there. it is only for one day, just keep telling yourself that.

i remember working on black friday. oh it was awful! i met some of the rudest customers i'd ever met in all my years of retail. they just had really poor social skills. i'm convinced they stayed in their homes hating people all year round and only came out on black friday to shop and hate people in person.

i've had some REALLY awesome customers. but it just seemed as though the bulk of the mean ones came out shopping on that day. good luck and try not to get too stressed out :)

Oh God, that sucks. Do you have to work December 26th as well? In my experience, the people on December 26th are way worse than the people the day after Thanksgiving. They're all grabby and greedy, willing to buy any piece of crap just because it's on sale and fully prepared to fight to the death over something they had no interest in two days earlier.

Yeah, working a desk job isn't that bad, I guess.

dsmith2904 said:
Oh God, that sucks. Do you have to work December 26th as well? In my experience, the people on December 26th are way worse than the people the day after Thanksgiving. They're all grabby and greedy, willing to buy any piece of crap just because it's on sale and fully prepared to fight to the death over something they had no interest in two days earlier.

Yeah, working a desk job isn't that bad, I guess.

Those are my feelings exactly about people who wait til the last minute (aka Christmas Eve). There's also the "just one more quick thing" people banging at the glass when you finally manage to get the doors shut for the night. For me, the last-minuters are the worst kind of people.

Babydoll, I'm sorry about your schedule. 10 hours without a break? That can't be very legal. :(

Cleasai said:

Those are my feelings exactly about people who wait til the last minute (aka Christmas Eve). There's also the "just one more quick thing" people banging at the glass when you finally manage to get the doors shut for the night. For me, the last-minuters are the worst kind of people.

Babydoll, I'm sorry about your schedule. 10 hours without a break? That can't be very legal. :(

Nope, they say we can't get more than 15 mnts thru out our entire shift. :crack:

Cleasai said:

I guess if she gets several 15-minute breaks that add up to the 60 minutes or whatever that she's supposed to get, it's probably technically OK (though morally stinks). I guess none of you are getting overtime either because you're not working more than 40 hours that week?

Babydoll, I start work at 11 pm Thanksgiving night because we open at midnight. I'll be there until 4 pm or so. Yay me!

One bright spot is that I'm on commission at ye olde "International House of Handbags" so I'll be making much $$

I like my job, we usually have really nice customers and the few jerks that I deal with never seem to overpower my day. I might be a sap but I figure every person is a fresh start so I don't carry the last one over with me.

PLUS we always have great fun mocking the BAD customers in the back room.

Good luck with your day!!!

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the United States, where it is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season. Since Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States, Black Friday may be as early as the 23rd and as late as the 29th day of November. Black Friday is not an official holiday, but many employers give the day off, allowing consumers to get a head start on their Christmas shopping. Retailers often decorate for the Christmas season weeks beforehand. Many retailers open very early (typically 5 A.M.) and offer doorbuster deals and loss leaders to draw people to their stores. Although Black Friday, as the first shopping day after Thanksgiving, has served as the unofficial beginning of the Christmas season at least since the start of the modern Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the term "Black Friday" has been traced back only to the 1970s. "Black Friday" was originally so named because of the heavy traffic on that day, although most contemporary uses of the term refer instead to it as the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

:nerd:

dsmith2904 said:

I guess if she gets several 15-minute breaks that add up to the 60 minutes or whatever that she's supposed to get, it's probably technically OK (though morally stinks). I guess none of you are getting overtime either because you're not working more than 40 hours that week?

That's the downside - only ONE 15 mnt break during our shifts! Our managers say that it's way too crazy-busy to give anyone more than that. And no, I don't work more than even 20 hours a week, I'm in school still.

I only have to work today and tomorrow and then I'm off the rest of the week :drool:

I :heart: my job.

zonelistener said:
I do not work in retail...but will be working Black Wednesday, Thanksgiving, and retail's black friday. :)
Well said...I never travel (translation - work) out of the office on Black Wednesday...!

On the other hand...

Son - "Hey, look at my schedule, the store opens at 10 am but they have me coming to work at 6:45 am..."

BAW and Mr. BAW look and laugh..."Daniel, that's Black Friday!"

Son - "What's that...?"

BAW and Mr. BAW - :giggle:

Babydoll said:

That's the downside - only ONE 15 mnt break during our shifts! Our managers say that it's way too crazy-busy to give anyone more than that. And no, I don't work more than even 20 hours a week, I'm in school still.

That sounds illegal to me. Where are the labor lawyers on the board! The stores should hire or have plenty of help so that you can have breaks. Isn't it every 4 hours or something? :scratch:

:lol: at SonofBAW

:hug: Babydoll :hug: Just keep picturing someone special to get you thru the day :wink:

Bummer for all y'all working in retail. Do you at least get a sweet discount at the stores where you work. IMHO, that's the ONLY reason to work retail. Two more days of work for me this week!! Then it's the crunch to get through final exams before glorious winter break!!!

Back
Top Bottom