It's Off #69¾ - Learn Talk English Good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
I'm pretty much pimping BoMac and NSW for their grammar superiority here. Anyone else who knows somethin' 'bout them there book learnin' stuff should help out too.

This is the thread where we can post all our grammar inquiries to promote literacy on interference.

I'll begin. This is in reference to a post I made about :love:Dalton.

"I've yet to meet someone who can put together a big mac faster than he"

or is it

"I've yet to meet someone who can put together a big mac faster than him"

Teach me...

Disclaimer: The errors in this post preceeding the quotes are not to be analyzed nor graded. Readin' iz 4 suckas.

Mia, I don't know what to think. This thread looks like you want an edumacation....explain!

My intelligence transcends the confines of this ridiculous language. I'm just trying my best to translate my superpowered thoughts so others can learn from my awesomeness. It's stripping the miaTHUNDER, but I suppose that will have to do since miaTHUNDER cannot be taken in its purest form by mere mortals.

or is it

I'm not entirely sure, since in Dutch it's easy to do if you make the sentence longer, as in, make it 'who can put together a big mac faster than he can'. That sorta makes sense. But in English it's a comparative, that would be faster than him.
My bet is on the second. :hmm:

I guess improper/proper use of pronouns...

It drives me crazy to read, "Here is a picture of (yourname) and I."

*See how stupid that sounds...?

The original sentence should be, "Here is a picture of Mia and me."

The thought is, you would never say, "Here is a picture of I" when "Here is a picture of me" seems more appropriate.

But I see it on the boards all the time, repeatedly by a well-known poster.... :shrug:

I guess improper/proper use of pronouns...

It drives me crazy to read, "Here is a picture of (yourname) and I."

*See how stupid that sounds...?

The original sentence should be, "Here is a picture of Mia and me."

The thought is, you would never say, "Here is a picture of I" when "Here is a picture of me" seems more appropriate.

But I see it on the boards all the time, repeatedly by a well-known poster.... :shrug:

I :heart: that you used commas before the quotes. That picture WILL happen!

I'm pretty much pimping BoMac and NSW for their grammar superiority here. Anyone else who knows somethin' 'bout them there book learnin' stuff should help out too.

This is the thread where we can post all our grammar inquiries to promote literacy on interference.

or is it

Teach me...

Disclaimer: The errors in this post preceeding the quotes are not to be analyzed nor graded. Readin' iz 4 suckas.

Oh, and, it's "faster than him", but, I'd roll with "faster than he can".

Back
Top Bottom