IO: Punctuation is your friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread is :love:!

I am guilty of posting without capitalized words before, but that's only because I get lazy. I will never ever ever erverevrvervevrevrververv abuse apostrophes though. They don't deserve the abuse.

As an aside, we prefer to be called Grammar Hounds, not Grammar Nazis. :angry:

Ooh! I just remembered something particularly nerdy:
There's a complex in my neighborhood that has a completely unnecessary apostrophe attached to it. I called the number on the leasing sign and asked why it was there. The woman had no idea what I was talking about but said she would ask her supervisor.

:sad: It's still there. :sad:

I should rally my old English teachers and we should call every day until the apostrophe is removed. Or, you know, I could always just vandalize it and steal the apostrophe. What a trophy that would be!

This thread is :love:!

I am guilty of posting without capitalized words before, but that's only because I get lazy. I will never ever ever erverevrvervevrevrververv abuse apostrophes though. They don't deserve the abuse.

As an aside, we prefer to be called Grammar Hounds, not Grammar Nazis. :angry:

Ooh! I just remembered something particularly nerdy:
There's a complex in my neighborhood that has a completely unnecessary apostrophe attached to it. I called the number on the leasing sign and asked why it was there. The woman had no idea what I was talking about but said she would ask her supervisor.

:sad: It's still there. :sad:

I should rally my old English teachers and we should call every day until the apostrophe is removed. Or, you know, I could always just vandalize it and steal the apostrophe. What a trophy that would be!

This reminds me... If the name of a business, say a preschool, is "Penrith Possum's Preschool", it definitely needs no apostrophe, does it? I look at this sign every week, and desperately want to drop an anomymous note in the suggestion box. However, I find the more I look at it, the more I am just unsure. It's killing me. Someone help. Penrith, by the way, is a suburb, and possum is obviously a little animal. Not that I think it matters too much.

I also worked as a TA last semester, and the emails I got were enough to make the staunchest non-grammar critic cringe :|

"Yeah supposably your correcting there work."

:doh:

I can never spell definitely correctly. I always want to put an a in there. Yay spell check.

i would interpret that as possessive, as in the preschool belongs to penrith possum, so the apostrophe should be there.
Seems like that to me as well.

I can never spell definitely correctly. I always want to put an a in there. Yay spell check.

Actually, before this year I was convinced it was actually spelled definately.Nobody ever told me it was wrong until I did it on here. :lol:

Hmm, but Penrith Possum doesn't make sense to me, so I see it as wrong. It doesn't seem like the place where a possessive would or should be. Anyway, thanks guys. :)

From your description I would say it's wrong. After all, Penrith Possum apparently wasn't a person who founded the school. Possums probably is meant to be the plural of possum, and Penrith refers to the town. So it's the Possums School in Penrith, or Penrith Possums School. Except for, of course, the school belongs to the possums that live in Penrith. ;)

An excerpt from an email from a friend I just got:

So Wat Claasses R U In For Next Week? I No Dat Christina And Tara R In The 450 1.There Also In Da 435 I Thinks. Your In Dem Both? Or Jst 1?

:crack:

An excerpt from an email from a friend I just got:

So Wat Claasses R U In For Next Week? I No Dat Christina And Tara R In The 450 1.There Also In Da 435 I Thinks. Your In Dem Both? Or Jst 1?

:crack:

Oh god. That pisses me off just reading it. Maybe I'm shallow, but that person would no longer be my friend. :seethe:

Erin is a sweet girl, but her abilities to communicate in writing are not up to par. :lol:

It's weird how two people who are polar opposites in certain aspects can be good friends.

I thought of this thread when I read this on TFLN. :wink:

(919): Learn some fucking English or leave me alone! "Your" is for something that belongs to you, like 'your herpes'. And "you're" is a contraction for "you are", like "you're not sleeping with me".

Nothing bugs me more than the misuse, or rather abuse of the "your" and "you're".

When I see that, I want to hang them by their testicles. :angry:

Or their/there/they're. :crack: This one and the you're/your always confuse the shit out of me because I can't read the sentence properly. Takes me two or three tries to finally get what they mean.

My biggest grammatical pet peeve - and this is from someone who has graded a lot of essays - is the placement of a comma between the subject and main verb of a simple sentence. For example: "LeBron James, scored 35 points last night."

I will never understand what compels people to do that. The positioning does not even resemble a speech pause position, which is where most people make comma-related mistakes.

In the larger picture, it is not terribly egregious, but I thought that I'd share nonetheless.

My biggest grammatical pet peeve - and this is from someone who has graded a lot of essays - is the placement of a comma between the subject and main verb of a simple sentence. For example: "LeBron James, scored 35 points last night."

I will never understand what compels people to do that. The positioning does not even resemble a speech pause position, which is where most people make comma-related mistakes.

In the larger picture, it is not terribly egregious, but I thought that I'd share nonetheless.
I, think that is pretty, stupid.

Back
Top Bottom