IO Poor Comma Usage Abounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
I had a whole post typed out here about how the initial poster was missing an apostrophe in "lets," but once I saw it on my screen, I wasn't sure I was right.

This is depressing. My brain must be shut off today.

It should be let's because it's a contraction, right? As in "let us discuss"?

Lets would be allows. As in "Beav lets NSW call him naughty names."

Right? Someone please validate my brain. :sad:

Both this and your first post were correct.

I tend to want to use an apostrophe when there are numbers involved because otherwise it just looks like I'm illegally mixing numbers and letters.

But yeah, apostrophes in plural words that don't end in "s" are a horrid thing.

Re: Wayne's request:

Where are Bono and Edge? They're over there, trying to load dead monkeys into the trunk of their car.

Keeping track of words that end it -um is also rather difficult.

It's hot when a girl knows how to properly use data and datum. :nerd:

The absolute best is when someone says stadia, instead of stadiums. It simply doesn't get any better than that.

corianderstem said:

That's really interesting - I've never run across anyone who does that. My thoughts flow fast, and I type fast, but I'm one of those freaks who edits as she goes because I can sense when I've typed something wrong. I don't use spellcheck because I'm so confident about this.

So far, it hasn't gotten me into too much trouble. :wink:

I never realized it till this past year actually. I think I'd rarely been rushed enough to make the mistake in school. I started noticing it on here, then my teachers this year, who are big fans of the essay, also noticed it.

It's weird, because I can sense when I've incorrectly typed, but not when I've swapped one word for another. Like when you hit a missed key, you can tell your finger hit the wrong one, you know? Just like that. For some reason, I can't tell that I've swapped words.

corianderstem said:

Where are Bono and Edge? They're over there, trying to load dead monkeys into the trunk of their car.

Very good.
But you ruined it by mentioning those 2 :angry:

Where are Wayne and Babydoll? They're over there, and it looks like they're ... uh ... gosh, maybe we should leave them to their business.

:wink:

How's that?

UberBeaver said:
Nope, you still need it because "asshole" is being addressed. Anytime someone is being addressed, you need a comma. Unless someone had something called a "face asshole"; for example, NSW has an "asshole face", so when I want him to STFU I say, "Shut your asshole face, douche bag." See? In this example NSW is being address as douche bag, hence the preceding comma. HOwever, the "asshole face" is being treated as a singular entity, like a hockey stick. What kind of stick? A hockey stick. What kind of face? An asshole face. Make sense?

:lmao: Wait, no - LMFAO!! Best.English.lesson.ever.

Where would one sign up for Professor Beav's English 101 & when exactly do classes formally begin???? :drool:

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

What did Justin's teacher do?

Wrote him a lengthy e-mail that had the grammar of a seventh grader talking gossip on Instant Messenger.

waynetravis said:

Make a sentence as an example :hyper:

"Those fucking douche bags are over there with their cock-munching faces, and they're not coming over here until we stop insulting them so loudly."

The poor grammar and neglect or over-useage of the comma in this thread are making my heair stnad on edge! I have to admit it gripes me when people don't get these simple things straight. ESPECIALLY in this day and age of spell check when a PC will do it properly for you! Come on people!

phillyfan26 said:
I only screw up your/you're or there/their/they're when I'm rambling and not thinking. I'm a person who literally writes as they speak, so ... my words usually come from the sound, not necessarily from the actual word. For instance, on my in-class papers that I write in one period, which are timed and long, I make the mistake often of phonetically sounding things out like "won" and "one." I know the difference, but I'm rushed and don't notice.

My history teacher marvels at it. She's never seen someone literally write words as if they were saying them. It's not just spelling. I punctuate my papers with things like "you know" because that's how I speak. It's unconscious.

Incorrect. If you were unconcious you wouldn't be writing papers at all. You mean subconcious.

Oh.

I wrote a paper unconscious once. It was a line extending from top to bottom and a lot of drool.

Didn't get a good grade.

Carek1230 said:
The poor grammar and neglect or over-useage of the comma in this thread are making my heair stnad on edge! I have to admit it gripes me when people don't get these simple things straight. ESPECIALLY in this day and age of spell check when a PC will do it properly for you! Come on people!

You misspelled two words and left out the comma needed between "come on" and "people."

Oh, the irony.

corianderstem said:

You misspelled two words and left out the comma needed between "come on" and "people."

Oh, the irony.

I counted three misspelled words. Isn't it "usage" and not "useage?"

corianderstem said:
Where are Wayne and Babydoll? They're over there, and it looks like they're ... uh ... gosh, maybe we should leave them to their business.

How's that?

Much better, thanks! :D

UberBeaver said:
Yeah, because "Come on people" and "Come on, people" really do convey two totally different sentiments.

Maybe Carek really meant "come on people!"

if you're into that sort of thing :wink:

uh oh, I'm frightened to write anything here :uhoh: I'll admit I'm not perfect and always mess up with s' 's ?? What really grinds my gears is this phrase, " I brought this at the shop and I bought it home.":mad:

let the nit-picking of this statement begin folk's'ses'

You don't have to be perfect.

But if you start ranting about how people can't spell or use correct grammar these days, you'd better make sure you've typed your post correctly, or else we shall point out the irony. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom