IO: I've sold out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Outsider

Refugee
I've decided to take a DNA test to trace my ancestral roots. I gotta say, it feels like I've sold my soul since I'm weary of the idea that a private company has such unique personal information. But since my curiosity has been eating me alive for decades, I went for it.
I know very little about my family history and only knew 1 of my 4 grandparents, whose family was very poor, which means no paper trail. The others were estranged. I know one little test won't give me the meat n potatoes of my tree and it will only give me vague details,but since I don't know much of anything, f*ck it.

Nearly a year ago I watched a special on genetics on PBS and the host used the company 23 and me to trace the health side of his genes. Which diseases he's at risk for, his likely responses to certain drugs etc.

On their website they explain the health and ancestral parts of the test. Normally their fee is $500 but I got my kit for $99 on cyber Monday :nerd:

I think they're still holding the cyber Monday price for the holidays. I know there are other companies that do this kind of thing ( Knome.com, ancestry.com for example) but I thought 23 and me offered more info for my buck.

I've decided to take a DNA test to trace my ancestral roots.
i can save you the effort......science tells us all human life emerged from africa.....you're african american like me (assuming you are american of course)
wear this as a badge of honor.......it provides you with the "victim" status necessary to advance in today's multicultural society of tolerance.....right alongside other oppressed groups such as hispanics, gays, and single moms

personally i couldn't be prouder i was born a poor black child

THEJERKsmall2.jpg

i can save you the effort......science tells us all human life emerged from africa.....you're african american like me (assuming you are american of course)
wear this as a badge of honor.......it provides you with the "victim" status necessary to advance in today's multicultural society of tolerance.....right alongside other oppressed groups such as hispanics, gays, and single moms

Um...uncalled for. :down:

Hope the results yield you some useful info, Vasthy. :hug:

Cool :) Good luck on finding out enough to satisfy your curiosity. I also think it would be interesting to find out more since I know mostly bits and pieces of mine.

Very cool! You're not selling out, dont worry. Be sure to tell us of any findings (of course, nothing too private lol).

this is totally uncalled for. racism (even if a quote from the jerk is tacked on at the end of the post) is not tolerated here.

sorry........i'll stick with accepted leftie racism next time

let me dig out my stash of hitler jokes

and as a member of an oppressed group (i'm black), i believe maybe i have the God given right to vent against my white oppressors

as a pacifist i simply use sarcasm to voice my frustration with tha man

get over it ...some asswipe sticks Mod on your name and you want to bully people with your "holier than though" judgementalism? spare me.......there are plenty more things for you to get your panties in a bunch about or find offensive than my post. grow up

and who cares..........it's a MESSAGE BOARD

:lol: What the hell? white oppressors? What century do you live in dude?

And there's no such thing as a God given right. It's people who convince themselves they have that right, it's just another way of justifying the bullshit they pass off as truth....

:corn:

Mr Ronald you may be surprised to find out that there are plenty of people of many races here on Interference, black included. You probably wouldn't know who because we tend to just see each other as U2 fans and members of the human race.

I actually agree with your premise that we shouldn't have a double standard with regards to racially-charged "jokes".

Unfortunately, whether that rule is applied evenly or not, here's one that will be: the one about attacking the mods and/or not responding to their direction. So you kindof ruined what could have been a good point and any positive contribution you might have for us will be lost if you have to take an early retirement from the forum. :shrug:

Thanks for all of the encouraging words!:wave: I honestly was incredibly excited up until the moment I dropped it off at the post office (ohmygodwhatthefuckdidijustdo :panic:
Ill share a little review of the service and will let you know if it's worth it or not. (for anyone who has thought about doing something like this)

Bad Ronald-wow WTF? If you're gonna steal my thunder at least be funny about it.

Well it appears as though Bad Ronald has appeared before his white oppressors on this Judgement Day.

:doh:

Very interested in the results, I'd like to know it's worth it.

Once again, good luck!

Thanks for all of the encouraging words!:wave: I honestly was incredibly excited up until the moment I dropped it off at the post office (ohmygodwhatthefuckdidijustdo :panic:
Ill share a little review of the service and will let you know if it's worth it or not. (for anyone who has thought about doing something like this)

Bad Ronald-wow WTF? If you're gonna steal my thunder at least be funny about it.

You should be excited . . . it will be a fascinating journey I am sure ~ good luck :hug:

and ronnie, bah bye :wave:

I think what you're doing is really amazing! I've always wanted to know more about my past history, but I've never really gotten into it. Maybe after high school :sigh:

Hope it all works out well and you get some results! :D :hug:

Just happen to catch this IO thread

Outsider....if that's your photo w Lars avi Good Luck!

It'll be some journey since you are African - __________ (American, OR Caribbean, Canadian, ?French, whichever other country(s), unless you hail from the Mother Land then you're which ever country or mix of countries /or ethnicities (black, arab, white etc) /or tribes. :)

I've been wanting to start with say the Mormon's ancestry record-keeping site to trace back "family".
I'm first gen American with Southern and Eastern Europran Ancestry (most likely have some African DNA since we all hailed from there originally <unless there's some new theory I haven't heard of yet>).
Though recently found out on my dad's side have some Central Europe from his mom... (her birth certificate)

:lol: gets confusing! :D

unfortunately my TV doesn't get our PBS easily (no cable, I nee a better antennae), and I missed the that whole series which sounded fascinating.

:wave: Good Luck again, and please share what ever you feel comfortable sharing with us!

i hope you get all (or at least some) of your questions answered, outsider. :) i'm jealous, i've been curious too about specifics of my background (luckily my granny on my dad's side did a lot of research so i at least know some details on that side of the family).

Hmm.. interesting. Being adopted, I, too, have only bits and pieces. Let me know if you find it worthwhile. I'm very curious, especially about my health since I know several of my family members died very young.

And why would you think it's selling out? :hug:

It's indeed very interesting! Good luck, I hope you got something out of it ;)

Well, someone of my family already backtracked our genealogy, and it turns out my ancestors were pirates, which is also pretty cool I think :lol:

That's interesting. According to the old folks my mom is somewhat related to the Burmese tribes who invaded Thailand and India in the 1820's. Dad is Assamese. So technically my mom's ancestors fought my dad's.

Have you found out anything yet Outsider?

You may not necessarily always need to use a service. I was able to trace my roots back on my father's side all the way to about 1698-1700, when my ancestor came to Canada as a French Lieutenant stationed at Louisbourg. In addition to some help from family I discovered that many birth and death registeries have been archived online now, whereas up to as recently as 4-5 years ago the only way to have accessed them would have been to go to a library or registry office in that original town (which is 2000+ km away from me). Also, many church organizations have dug up old documents recording births and deaths (mostly deaths as in Catholic villages the priest had to witness and record it) and that helped also.

It took about 8 months but I was able to do a direct line from that first guy who came across on a French navy ship right on up to my father and then me. Some of the stories are craaaazy, what happened to these people! I'm working on my mom's side but that's Irish and it's a bit more complicated because there wasn't just two or three villages that they all came from, they were all spread out.

Hope you find some answers!

Amazing story gvox! The only email I've received so far was on Friday. "your sample was received". It took a freaking week to arrive even though the lab was just a few cities over :grumpy:

it'll be at least 6weeks before I learn anything according to the company. :sigh:

For records, I think I'll have to visit my motherland. I found my granny's birth certificate and a single picture of my grandfather. I have no idea when i'd be able to visit Central America but it is definitely on my to do list.

I suppose I'm hoping this test will serve as the border of the puzzle and it'll be up to me to find the rest of the pieces :)

Just_boy and Electricalstorm- WAY cool!

Zuropa_fit- sounds like you should. I'll let you know my experience and let you know if it's worth it or not.
I made this thread the moment after I mailed it, so I was feeling panicked about having sold a piece of my soul. I'm back to feeling excited again :D

Very cool! Can't wait to hear what you find out.

I know a couple of interesting things from my family (my great great great grandmother was seamstress for the queen of Portugal :D ) but it would amazing to really go way back.

That's pretty cool Vasthy! And no, it's not selling out. I know most of my ancestry but I've always been curious about my family tree. I too would like to visit my motherlands. I can imagine the shock at me ringing on some distant relatives door in Sweden. It would be awesome.

Apologies for the length of this post and for any repetition but here is my experience with the DNA test:

Last month, I decided to take a DNA test to trace my ancestral roots. It has been on my "I've always want to" list ever since I heard of the company 23andMe on a PBS special sometime ago. On "cyber Monday" the company slashed their prices from $499 to $99. While most online shoppers were taking advantage on low prices for electronic items, I bought a DNA test. Using a saliva sample, 23andme claim to trace your ancestral roots via one's maternal line, paternal line, ancestral painting, as well as showing your genetic similarity to other groups in the world. This test also detects one's disease risk, carrier status, drug response and traits. I mailed my sample mid December with an expected wait time of 6-8 weeks.

The manual lists ways to produce saliva in case you can't under pressure. The test tube already had some substance that mixed with the saliva. I mailed off my sample in the self addressed envelope that came with the kit. It included a tracking number so I could make sure it didn't end up in some pervy old man's house.

You may be wondering why I bothered to do this. To put it simply, I don't know much about my family. Of my four grandparents, I only knew my maternal grandmother. She loved to tell me stories about her childhood memories with her family back in El Salvador. She wouldn't go in depth about where her mother and father came from. I wasn't sure if she didn't want to talk about it or if she didn't know. Since her passing, I often kick myself for not prying some answers out of her. Now all that I'm left with are a handful of pictures and her birth certificate, which she never showed me while she was living.

Before I purchased the kit, I was having second thoughts about taking this DNA test. Since I'm a female, only my mitochondrial DNA( my maternal bloodline) could be traced, which really disappointed me. I'm desperately curious about my paternal roots too, however, I would need an uncle or my father to take the test for me. I was starting to think this wouldn't be worth it afterall. So what changed my mind? My mom told me that my great grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother) was an orphan. I made up my mind to take the test even if it only traces half of my past. I hoped to get some answers no matter how vague.

Seven weeks after I sent in my sample I received an email notification that my results had been processed. I logged in and the first screen that popped up was an option to skip my health results. The company understands that some of the findings might disturb some customers. Of course, I clicked and viewed them. I won't share my health results but I will say that learning what I have was absolutely worth taking this test.

I moved onto to my ancestry results. My heart was pounding a bit and my hands were clammy. I had no idea what to expect. Would it tell me things I already knew or something unexpected?

My racial percentages were broken down right in my face. There I am. 64% European, 31% Asian, 5% African. I studied history and I'm well aware of the mixtures that occurred, but I still find it insanely fascinating. So why is it split between these three groups? As 23andMe explains, "Your Ancestry Painting results should be understood to mean Asia, Africa and Europe before the era of intercontinental travel, about 500 years ago. "

The way my numbers were calculated :
Simply by adding up the lengths of the segments attributed to each population, as displayed, and dividing by the total length. The numbers are rounded to the nearest whole number, so in cases where one region contributes less than 1/2% of the total, "0%" is shown. The grayed-out regions indicate regions of the genome where 23andMe has few markers at present; these regions are not included in the percentage calculations.

The Native American ancestry feature solidified what I hoped about my great grandmother. There isn't a way to track the precise Native American blood she came from, however, 23andMe narrowed it down a bit in the global similarity section.
According to 23andme, my maternal bloodline is most similar to the native people of South America. This is all incredible to learn and I wish my grandmother was around to share all this with her. Rather than gaining any type of closure, I feel as if I've opened a genetic pandora's box. Now I want to learn so much more about my maternal family. Their stories, their occupations, their struggles, etc. I have no idea how I'm going to approach all of this but maybe in time I'll find some more pieces to this puzzle I'm trying to solve. One thing that's certain: there is no turning back. I can't ignore or forget everything I've learned. I tapped into this wealth of information and now I have to live with it until I can continue searching what I'm looking for.

All of the information discovered by 23andMe is incredibly fascinating and I'm very glad I did it. I definitely recommend this for those that don't know too much about their roots or if you're just curious about your racial percentages. For any females interested in taking this test, I only recommend this test if you do not have any full blood brothers or a father. If you do have a brother/father, have them take the test as well. It will trace both sides instead of just the maternal side. I do advise to wait for sale prices. I would've been sorely disappointed had I paid $499. The results are a bit too vague for that amount of money. Finally, I also recommend this service for the vital health information that can lead a person to take steps towards disease prevention.

Back
Top Bottom