IO: Apartment hunting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if i ever lived in chicago, there's a skyscraper i'd love to live in. i forget which one it is, it might be the john hancock center. all i remember is it has apartments, businesses, a grocery store. pretty much if you played your cards right you'd never have to step outside the building, which seemed pretty awesome to me, especially given how chicago winters are.

I'll just be glad if/when I ever end up living within normal driving distance of Chicago. That would be spiffy.

I'll just be glad if/when I ever end up living within normal driving distance of Chicago. That would be spiffy.

Where exactly do you guys live, if you don't mind me asking? I keep thinking Urbana, for some reason.

I live in northwest Indiana. Which is a tad unfortunate, since all of the work in my field is in Chicago and the burbs, but we can't really move to Illinois because the commute for Travis to school would be a bit insane. Maybe he'll transfer next semester? But I don't really want him to, he's going to a nice school and he likes it there, and I personally don't really mind the commute. It's employers who look at it and go :yikes:

Oh, so you two are not at the same school. I imagine that can make apartment hunting difficult.

Pics!

It looks like I may have to look for a new place next month which is a real irritant to me at this point.

I don't have any pics handy, but there are three apartments we're looking at. The one that's most convenient to us is the least pretty to look at, but it only costs $10 a month for our cat and it's SUPER close to Travis' school. It doesn't have a bathtub, though, just a shower, which is a bummer. The bedroom is pretty small, but the kitchen is huge, and no extra storage space anywhere.

The second is the most expensive, but in exchange we get lots of extra storage space, a big bedroom, big living room, tiny kitchen and we can pretty much do whatever we want to the walls (painting and what not).

The third place, we look at today, it's the cheapest rent, but we're not sure what the cat is going to cost us. It's also the biggest, two bedroom, and the location is pretty centrally located to both Travis' school and all of my friends and family.

The only problem now is that the second apartment is kind of pressuring me to make a decision with a nonrefundable deposit, and I'm not sure if we want to go with that one or not.

Thus, like I said, why making this decision is incredibly difficult. Housing for me was always just selected by my father and he told me where I was going to live :lol:.

Oh growing up and being an adult and shit.

don't give in to any lame pressure tactics an apartment tries to pull. they're just trying to get you to hurry and sign a lease with them. also, don't fall for any bait and switches. you'll look at one apartment yet suddenly when it's time to sign the lease the only thing available is something more expensive.

if it were me, i'd probably go with the third option. if you plan on living there long term, the small bedroom (and lack of storage space) in #1 or the small kitchen in #2 will get to you eventually. once you unpack and start to make it your home it'll seem smaller than it does now, so if you can afford any extra space (e.g. a second bedroom) i'd take it. but i'd be wary of why it's so cheap. if it's in a less pricy suburb (but nothing dangerous) then cool. just make sure it's not in some old building that doesn't get taken care of and such, though i'm sure you know what you're doing. :)

The third place, my grandparents lived in, so I was pretty familiar with it, but in the end, it just didn't seem like we were going to get it. They wanted a lot of proof of this and that, and it was documentation I just didn't possess.

The second place, Travis and I felt very comfortable in, we were very happy with the lady we spoke with, and the apartments really did look wonderful, and that's what we ended up going with. As it turned out, she wasn't lying when she said that someone was going to put a deposit down on the apartment we wanted, so now we can't move in for another week while we wait for the OTHER one bedroom to become available, but it's the same price, nothing changed there, so I'm pretty sure everything's on the up and up.

Now we just wait. And pack :yuck:

Ugh. I'm not looking forward to this.

Nicole & I are going to be chasing a house rather than apartment (cause ya know we from da Country, mate :wink:) I had a look at rentals the other week, and it was just :yikes: Things have settled down at home, so we shall try and wait till after the wedding before we move anywhere.

At least its a start, you will be able to move onto big and betterer things in the future :up:

We're not ready for a house yet, nor do we really need one at this point, so we're pretty happy where we are (going).

Good luck with your hunt!

Back
Top Bottom