The Ballerina (Be gentle--1st post!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Here goes...
Just a few random thoughts. My first poem...not abstract, not deep, not harsh. Just something I was passionate about. Wasn't suppsed to be this long, but it sort of took on a life of its own about halfway through. A work in progress (now requesting membership to WTWSA).

The Ballerina

The simplest movement of the leg
Requires the strength of the deepest soul
Perfection, in all its viciousness
Demands control
With each action I exude
Balance, stability
Power

Nature's cruel desire to see me fail
Is unequaled by my passion
I will not give in to my limitations
Stature, flexibility
I cannot escape the inevitable
Wrench of pain
Injury

Movement races across my mind
As my body thrashes to keep time
Awkward in my own skin, I am
Poetry in motion
The smooth, simple line of beauty
I struggle to achieve
Grace

I am stifled in stillness
Freed only through choreography
Harmony--fusion of the soaring heart
Spirit, self
My sisters become
Rhythm, co-ordination
Expression

Time's crafting hands
Are reflected in the fluidity of an arm movement
The extent to which I reach
Is unlimited
Though I may spiral upward
I return to the earth
Grounded

------------------
*It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do
It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong*

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
so you're a ballerina? i did ballet from about age 4 to age 12, it wasn't really for me but it's a gorgeous art form.

I've been dancing since I was about 6 years old (I'm 19 now). It's the one thing I can't give up...I need it (like heat needs the sun, like honey on the tongue, like the muzzle of a gun, like oxygen
biggrin.gif
).
Originally posted by BabyGrace:
no need for the application to WTWSA here
smile.gif

Thank-you! But we'll see!

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 10-18-2001).]

that delicate balance...

I think your poem can be applied to so many different things...

Nature's cruel desire to see me fail
Is unequaled by my passion...

I struggle to achieve
Grace

I am stifled in stillness
Freed only through choreography
Harmony--fusion of the soaring heart
Spirit, self

very nice debut The_Sweetest_Thing
smile.gif

hey SweetestThing!! welcome to the coolest part of Feedback
smile.gif

so you're a ballerina? i did ballet from about age 4 to age 12, it wasn't really for me but it's a gorgeous art form.

your poem does a great job of capturing the essence of it, I love the theme of escaping earthly limitations in its beauty..

Awkward in my own skin, I am
Poetry in motion
I struggle to achieve
Grace

no need for the application to WTWSA here
smile.gif

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

More dancers!!!! Yeah!!! Nice poem, Sweetest. I am a dancer myself and a teacher as well. I'm glad I came across your poem. Good luck with your dancing.
smile.gif

Originally posted by DancingBarefoot:
More dancers!!!! Yeah!!! Nice poem, Sweetest. I am a dancer myself and a teacher as well. I'm glad I came across your poem. Good luck with your dancing.
smile.gif

Hey, I've had a strange sense of deja-vu...didn't you e-mail me once about dance? *thinks hard* I think so...thanks for the kind words!

I don't remember, it is very possible. I don't think there are a lot of dancers around here. If you don't mind, I was wondering where you dance? School, company? You may have told me, sorry I don't remember.

Originally posted by DancingBarefoot:
I don't remember, it is very possible. I don't think there are a lot of dancers around here. If you don't mind, I was wondering where you dance? School, company? You may have told me, sorry I don't remember.

No prob! I used to dance with a small school from my hometown--nothing competitive, just recreational. Now I dance with the McMaster Dance Company (at my university).

I'm afraid I've forgotten where you dance though...

Hi, nice poem and welcome to the Corner. Though I must be honest and say that I can't really relate to this poem in the literal sense; the last time I danced in front of an audience was in my early teens. I don't think I was very graceful, either
redface.gif

Come back soon with more.

foray

I just noticed something wonderful. Look at each stanza of her poem, guys. It resembles a ballerina's foot on tiptoe. And at the tip, where the tension is concentrated, lie the 'key' words to her poem: power, injury, grace, expression, etc.

foray

Originally posted by foray:
I just noticed something wonderful. Look at each stanza of her poem, guys. It resembles a ballerina's foot on tiptoe. And at the tip, where the tension is concentrated, lie the 'key' words to her poem: power, injury, grace, expression, etc.

foray

Cripes! I didn't even notice that (I wrote with the tension words...I didn't even notice the fact abou the ballerina's foot). Thank you so much for pointing this out to me!

Originally posted by foray:
lol I thought I was the only one here who used "cripes".

foray

Crikey! Aother 'cripes' user?
Nah, luckily for you I'm a big geek who gets a kick out of using strange phrases and words that don't necissarily belong...Sweet Jesus, Joseph, and Mary in Tinseltown!

You know what? I don't even know what a CRIPE is....

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 11-06-2001).]

Great job. As a guy who has danced ballet ( painfully and not very well, but with feeling), your words speak volumes. They really capture the idea of every second in ballet being a piece of art. When that moment is over, a new piece of art is created by the body and the music working together.My daughters and wife also dance, and I will pass your words on to them.

Back
Top Bottom