"On Love" - - - An open discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
For Honor said:

I think I am going to start a new thread ... I have my general FH thread, which is mostly my "mad scientists lab" where anything could fit. I havet this thread, which is mostly about dreams, love, ideals, etc. This perhaps is more a hope thread.

But I think my new thread will be more about "love", in my own funky interpretation of it. The more factual, reality - like discussion of love. It seems to be something I think about a lot. Not so much that "I want" love- I do - but, understanding it, in a sort. I would consider posting in theFYM philosphy thread, but... I'm not ready yet.

Also, this has to do with organization. Hopefully, if I can keep my things organized, I can...... transcend them more easily....

Of course, as in all threads here on DOL, it's open to discussion from others. But I think that "On Love" will be a.... a sort of open journal. There are times when I would think that I should keep things like that less out in the open. But then again... what good does writing them in some journal do? On some paper? It's severely less likely ANYONE, including myself, will read it, or think about it. Besides, I can type fast, and think fast, and writing gets in the way sometimes.......

We'll see how it goes........................

There is no beginning, nor end, so feel free to chime in with any passing thoughts, or essays, or anything at all. If need be, it can all be organized later.

====

One thing that has been on my mind is this - "Love" the emotion and it's influence over people. Obvioiusly for "mating" reasons, love would help, for proreational purposes, etc. Raising a child. That initial attraction, when sparks fly, the most alluring period.

However, I've read in more than one place that that period actually is one of theo most balanced periods, as men lose testerone , and women gain it, so they are infact more chemically balanced.

I will say this right away - and I will label it as a typical "rabit" trait - (see chinese zodiac, one place that explains this well is asiaflash.com), but, I do not like being decieved, and 'in love' is certainly one of those places.

I have often wondered about love, because it does mislead people sometimes. Yet I can understand that as being a natural course of things. But also, as a characteristic of other parts of my personality, I want the best.

And for me, the best would be an everlasting love. That, for me, is the only true love I could have, and that, also, is love in it's greatest, most challenging form. Perhaps it also has to do with that - the challenge that it entails, and perhaps that, too, is why I seek it so much.

(but to anyone who reads this, don't worry, this is just my own... "quest" of sorts, what I am trying to understand. Hopefully this discussion can be helpful or interesting to others, rather than just myself...)

Also, I realize how simlar men and women are when it comes to the first stages of love. IT's the same thing, just in different forms. Men are physical beings, and look at a girl physically in regards to sex, and desire, etc. Is she hot?? etc. No doubt that appearance plays a part in women, too, but I also believe emotions are a severe influence. But in all reality, emotional seduction and physical seduction are not that different.

(for all you football guys, it's kind of like power running (guys) and intricate WCO passing (women), that's one sort of analogy)

But it's still a game....

I think the most important thing, really, is understanding personalities, understanding people. Some people are just not made for long term relationships. Some people (like me?) thrive on them.

There is no right or wrong, and even if you are hurt because of a mismatch (you're long term and the other is not), that doesn't mean you are "right". It just means you two are not the same.

My own strategy about love is that there is no right or wrong, but it's like making a puzzle - but it's not about who fits, it's about what the two peices creat together. Any two people can "fall in love" in my opinion. But, for me, that's insignificant. I've heard the statment: "When it comes to love (or was it marriage?), think of everything as transitory." - this is good for those women who think they can "change" men later in marriage. A very seductive trap to getinto..... but....... I've no pity for male or female who consciously knows they are making a poor choice and then suffers later on from it....

I wish more people would post here, your logic may meander quite a bit but given the subject matter thatcan only be expected:wink:

Love is something that people try to gain, love is something that just happens and remember all you need is love..............

Love is blindness...

Love makes the world go 'round...

Love conquers all...

I'm not an expert...
anyway:

"love, lift me up out of this blue"
------------

"you can run from love/and if it's really love it will find you"

-------------

"but I've seen love conquer the great divide"

------
but also
"love, slowly stripped away
love has seen its better day"
:(

--------------------

I know, it's easy to write about love when you can quote U2!!

And:

100 "Love which takes quick hold in a gentle heart
Seized this man for the beauty of the body
Snatched from me — how it happened galls me!

"Love which pardons no one loved from loving
Seized me so strongly with my pleasure in him
105 That, as you see, it still does not leave me.

This comes from Dante Alighieri's "Divine Comedy" - Inferno, Canto V

I think I actually found it in an online dictionary

It was in the definition for "transcend", and it clicked with me. "Trancend", or "Transcendence", it is a word I've used a lot in the past, in a certian situation. And it is intereting that it comes back to me now in this context

"Love that trancends infatuation"

That phrase alone can mean so many things. But to me, it can branch of in many directions and I could get lost in the meaning of those words.

SONG 1:1 The Song of songs, which is Solomon's. Beloved

SONG 1:2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth; for your love is better than wine.

SONG 1:3 Your oils have a pleasing fragrance. Your name is oil poured forth, therefore the virgins love you.

SONG 1:4 Take me away with you. Let us hurry. The king has brought me into his chambers. Friends We will be glad and rejoice in you. We will praise your love more than wine! Beloved They are right to love you.

(From Song of Solomon 1, 1-4)

"All You Need is Love

One lesson of Tolkien's saga is clear. For ordinary people like you or me, happiness is achievable only in a social context and its key is love. And love expresses itself in loyalty and sharing, not in possession. Departing from the rule that love prescribes for us leads to misery.

For humans as well as for hobbits, happiness requires FELLOWSHIP with others, and it is in love for others that we can maintain our course toward it and achieve it. It is by forgetting ourselves that we earn the good life and it is by giving that we receive. This is the old truth illustrated by the lives of Sam and Gollum."

from "The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy"

--------------

To me, this is a good summary of Love.
I still have to proof-read everything I write because words still replace themselves with other words....so spell-check would not help here.

For Honor, this is a good place to post ideas....can we post writings here as well....Love poems, etc.

carol
wizard2c
:|

I have things to write, but I am currently dissenchanted.

Maybe you'd understand this, wizard, but I've gone back to the past, in the present day. And now what was the future is..... well.... it's just strange at the moment.

Well, anyway.....a poem I wrote a while back........it's one of those long ago times.....

Circle’s End

The end of a circle is
where the circle has begun.
Two hearts that love each other,
Beat as though they’re one.

With life there comes death,
and with death there comes life.
Life is like a circle,
It’s beginning is it’s end.
Another year that ends
is another year begun.

Each day becomes each night,
and each night becomes each day.
Today starts a tomorrow,
while yesterday starts today.

The sun sets to a rising moon,
that sets to a rising sun.
A second and a minute,
circles an hour of a clock.

A seed becomes a flower,
A flower becomes a seed.
A never ending circle,
of life that is to be.

The world just keeps revolving,
as days begin and end.
When I’ve arrived at circle’s end,
I’ll be back to you again.

carol
wizard2c
:|

That's a very nice poem, Carol.

=====

unrelated

=====

I am beginning to think that I should leave love to other people for the time being......

.... you can run from love
but if it's really love it will find you
catch you by the heel...

:sexywink:

yes, in Italy they say

"in amore vince chi fugge"

(in love, who runs away win)

I am not sure of this, thoug
I am afraid that the chaser will get tired to run, someday...

I know a guy who's working to be loved by a friend and, after 2 years, he still hasn't succeed

I think he'll one day..

I besieged his love for 1 hear and a half, till I suddenly had someone else on my way ane realized I was not in love, but I just wanted him because he didn't want me, really. He is friendly, we flirt all the time...
But he does the same with everyone because he's a nice guy.

I hoped he could see me in a romantic way.
Now I'm only sorry he can't get what he wants.

lady luck said:
yes, in Italy they say

It's true.

I can't stand it, though. Why is it so hard for two people to make the decision to want to be together?

It always seems like silly emotional games, where one person feels bad about losing, and the other doesn't care about winning. That's why .....

Eh... basically, that's why I don't like the word "love".

I think people sometimes get so focused on "how they feel" that they lose sight of what love is.

Personally, though, I am currently accepting that I cannot be the way I want to be. When I find a girl that I really want, I want to be really nice to her, spend time with her, do things with her, for her, etc. Just because that's what I like, and that's who I am, on one level.

But instead, I see that I will most likely have to be a jerk, and PURPOSELY distance myself, or as you say "run away from love", in order to get it. I can't stand things like that, though.

This is why I put such a high price on maturity, because I hope I can find someone who see's through all that stuff. But then again, maybe it's just a neccesary thing. A foolish part of human emotion...

Sometimes.......

Sometimes love disgusts me.
It makes people do things that shouldn't be done.

But I've felt it. I know why people do it.... I've been touched by love.

Acutually, that's why I'm on this "journey" that I speak of elsewhere. To see what I was like before love, and now, after love - to make a comparrision...........

===========================

THat's just it..... it gets even more foolish, in my opinion, because the person who runs away needs to know when to compromise, to slow down, so that the person who is chasing them just gets close enough, but then, the runner pulls farther away.

I think people enjoy being in agony...

I don't know why, though.

I haven't been touched by love...or at least I don't think I have...

But it's one of my dreams...to one day love someone...and be loved.

I know it's probably not that simple...but sometimes i get the feeling that there's something missing....that I'm not complete..

I want the whole thing

I suppose that's the best way to say it.
So I suppose the trouble is defining this........ this thing.....

"more than love"

Back
Top Bottom