Nice Guys Finish Last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princey

War Child
I broke up with a girl i was seeing yesterday. Neither of us wanted it to end, we were having such a great time but there was one problem whihc conctantly kept coming back at us: her ex. He couldnt handle the fact that she was seeing someone else and was doing everything he could to get in our way and take her away from me. She still regarded him as a close friend, and just could not see that he wanted more, despite the fact that this was clear to everyone else in our group.

She decided to end it because although she couldnt understand why i was getting upset at the fact he was hounding her so much, and that she was almost accommodating his obsession for fear of losing him as a friend or hurting his feelings because she was seeing someone else, she couldnt bare to see me hurting so much to a problem she couldnt see could be easily solved.

We both still really like each other and have been missing each other so much and telling each other so. At the end of the day i guess its better in the long run and she says she will be ready to continue things with me as soon as she is positive i wont get hurt anymore, but before then she needs to sort things out on her side. Weve just broken up for uni and im now feeling so much pain because i wont see her now until october and im so afraid the chemistry we had will just fizzle out over this time.

I wrote this piece at 2am this morning when i couldnt sleep for crying into my pillow. Its my first real attempt at poetry/song lyrics.

--------------------------------------------

NICE GUYS FINISH LAST

The words I hoped id never hear
Have just popped out your mouth
Its somewhat funny how things, dear
Can quickly turn to south
Ive always made to treat you right
Should I have put up more of a fight?
The very best and nothing less
But in the end I failed the test

Im setting my sail
And im raising my mast
Its hard to believe
That the end has now passed
No triumph found here
No fanfare of brass
Its true what they say
Nice-guys finish last

I know you say you don’t want me hurt
That’s not the way its ‘sposed to be
To see my heart stamped in the dirt
That can’t be good, for you, nor me
Weve had our backs against the wall
Until the final curtain call
I wish I could have had the strength
To keep his postures at arms length

Im setting my sail
And im raising my mast
Its hard to believe
That the end has now passed
No triumph found here
No fanfare of brass
Its true what they say
Nice-guys finish last

I cant imagine days without
Spending time with you
I yearn to bellow, scream and shout
But that’s not what I do
Im looking for light at the end of the tunnel
I trip and fall back down the funnel
I want things back the way they were
Its such a shame he didn’t care.

I wish we had more time
More space
Instead im left just in this daze
Im feeling strangely out of place
Cos in the end I’ve lost the race

No triumph found here
No fanfare of brass
Its true what they say
Nice-guys finish last

(for Emma)

partygirlvox said:

my feelings exactly. its weird cos iv never been able to write like this before i guess its cos iv actually got something to write about now. iv written a few more and might post them on here. I sent her one the other day and she said to me today she just read it and cried, that id hit the nail on the head.

I tried to record it as a song and i have the music in my head but am not good enough on guitar to play it so i just left it me singing the vocals. iv written another song today with music i can play and im so so proud of it.

I guess if i must look on the bright side iv finally found my muse.

Nice guys finish last because they're the best. Only most women don't get it, instead going for dangerous boys.
(There's a diff between abad boy and a dangerous one.)
Princey - great lyrics. rock on.

Thanks Devlin :)

i still have hopes for us when we go back to uni in september, were stillt alking and texting each other every day and i know she feels exactly the same as me its just things need to get sorted out her end before things can happen again between us.

In the last week iv written and recorded a mini-album about all my experiences from this incident, its great that now ive started writing, i cant seem to stop...

just googled robert smith to find out he was the guy from the cure... :reject:

wow what a compliment thanks :)

These words are great Princey...

Sometimes nice guys do finish last... But some women do really tend to see how great and valuable they really are in life. You might just find someone like that in the future, who will respect you and treat you the way you deserve.

Princey.........I think you need to start playing hard-ball now! I know this sounds crazy.........but it might just get her off this whole "sitting-on-the-fence" thing. You need to start not replying to her SMS's or phonecalls!........I'm not saying all the time, maybe call her back in a couple of days........you need to show her you are not *does not want to sound awkward,but can't help it* NEEDY!........You could also try the "oh-i-met-this-lovely-girl" the other day we are meeting up for coffee!....See where that takes you..........If she does'nt respond with a little coldness or jealousy(this will mean she is more than fond of you and hopefully she might SNAP-OUT-OF-IT!), then she may not be the right kind of girl for you....i mean how long will you put up with that crap..........Sorry if i come across a little crazy about this. It's just i don't get why nice girls won't give nice boys a go! It's so bloody frustrating to see.......:madwife:

fly so high! said:
Princey.........I think you need to start playing hard-ball now! I know this sounds crazy.........but it might just get her off this whole "sitting-on-the-fence" thing. You need to start not replying to her SMS's or phonecalls!........I'm not saying all the time, maybe call her back in a couple of days........you need to show her you are not *does not want to sound awkward,but can't help it* NEEDY!........You could also try the "oh-i-met-this-lovely-girl" the other day we are meeting up for coffee!....See where that takes you..........If she does'nt respond with a little coldness or jealousy(this will mean she is more than fond of you and hopefully she might SNAP-OUT-OF-IT!), then she may not be the right kind of girl for you....i mean how long will you put up with that crap..........Sorry if i come across a little crazy about this. It's just i don't get why nice girls won't give nice boys a go! It's so bloody frustrating to see.......:madwife:

lol thanks for the advice fly so high but first of all i know she isnt the type to 'get off' as such on this and secondly im not the type to do what youve suggested. at the moment im trying to take a break from talking to her however, not to piss her off, just because i think its the only way im eventually going to be able to move on...

thanks for caring!

Back
Top Bottom