Need advice from you literary types for my first novel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Hi everyone, I am hoping I can get some advice from you about my first novel. Much as I am good at, and appreciate my day job, I think that there might a future for me in writing, maybe not serious works of literature, but romance novels/fiction anyway.

I have never posted anything in here before, simply because I am totally incapable of writing poetry or lyrics of ANY kind without looking extremely foolish. What I think I do write well is romantic/whimsical fantasies. I am still working on a personalized story series for the Pleba girls. For those of you not familiar with my work, here is a link (story #3 was written by OliveU2cm for me):
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum7/HTML/000605.html

I really respect your work on here, and for this reason, I'd like to know what you think would be a better (ie more saleable) first novel for me, keeping in mind my genre, and that you write best about what you know:

STORY A:

An attractive woman in her early 40s (can't decide if she's married or not) becomes Executive Director of a major Ballet company (responsible for the ticket sales, fundraising and all business of the company). She observes rehearsal one day and is smitten with one of the young male dancers, who is 17 or 18 yrs. old and just starting. He is intoxicated with her sensuality, wordliness, experience and power. A torrid but secret affair ensues. If she is caught she will never live the scandal down. This novel is a nice reversal to an older woman/younger man story for a change (haven't come up with ending yet).

STORY B:

A modern version of Eugene Onegin as rockstar. A young teenage girl falls in love with her sister's fiance's best friend, who is lead singer in a rock band. He is older, and more jaded, always dressed in black etc. He ends up flirting with her sister, murdering the sister's fiancee, and breaking the heroine's heart. Many years later, the rockstar is world famous but living an empty life. Our heroine is married to a lovely and kind executive and is a high society woman. Suddenly, at a party of mutual friends, she runs into the rock star, who realises what an idiot he's been and tries to win her back. She almost gives in, but sends him away, choosing to stay with her husband even though her dreams/heart are in tatters.

STORY C

Young woman gets job on crew of famous rock band and gets involved with one of the members, romance comedy and mayhem ensue (one great big PLEBA story).

So? What do you think??? Many thanks in advance for any advice you have.
smile.gif

Well, Jess...they always say write what you know...ballet, U2, PLEBA...you've got it covered!

Really, I like all these ideas.
The ballet part of me say choose A
The adventurous side of me says choose B
And the U2-obsessed rock-star fan of me says choose C

I'm really no help, as I'm the most indecisive person on earth

I'm leaning towards B, since it seems to have the most character depth (and twist possibilities). Modern tragedy at its best. Of course, the movie version would have to be changed for a happy ending.

Although I'm not sure my opinion counts, as I haven't read a novel in over a year (The Virgin Suicides).

I admire your determined spirit!!! You can do it!!!

I like B. (Coming from someone who has read Eugene Onegin... A modern day version would be cool).

Hi Jess!
smile.gif

In terms of sales, I'd nix A, unless you want it to be a very deep/thoughtprovoking novel, like "The Reader" by Schlink. If you want it to be something similar to that book, then go with A, otherwise our society isn't that progressive yet.

I'd go with B.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom