Lillian's Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UpwiththeSun

The Fly
This is a poem I have been working on for almost 20 years. I finally finished it thank's to U2's song "Grace". It is about my grandparents who died on the same day when I was 14.(woops just gave away my age)Majxtc's touching story inspired me to post this. My grandmother suffered for many years from breast cancer. My grandfather died from a sudden heart attack within 15 minutes after she died. It is for my father. I have not given it to him yet, but plan on giving it to him on his next birthday. He and his mother shared the same birthday.

Lillian's Grace

A son born on the same day as she
with memories of a gracious day.
Their hearts warmed by the sun above
until she had to suffer that way.

A husband's love to shelter her fear
of a cold, dark winter sea.
He prayed to God to send a sign
to set her weary soul free.

He watched from the shore as
the sunset touched his face.
Over the water the sunlight formed
a path leading to grace.

He followed her that fall day
as they walked to eternal peace.
She will no longer suffer.
Their pain will finally cease.

On a warm gracious day the
warmth returned to the son.
He realized that two had found grace.
Not just one.

------------------
"Maybe you could educate my mind"

Originally posted by UpwiththeSun:
My grandmother suffered for many years from breast cancer. My grandfather died from a sudden heart attack within 15 minutes after she died.

Your story and poem reminds me of the Natalie Merchant song "Beloved Wife" where she sings about her grandfather after her grandmother passed away and his struggle to go on seeing that the most valued part of his life was gone. I wrote a poem yesterday that kind of deals with the same theme of being able to keep on going when someone you love has left your life and even though they are not with you in one sense, they are constanly with you in spirit. Thanks for posting your poem and sharing your story.

majxtc (majestic)

------------------
And love is not the easy thing... The only baggage you can bring... Is all that you can't leave behind.

I don't think I know that Natlie Merchant song it sounds great. I will have to be sure to find it. Sounds like one I would like. I missed your other poem, but I will be sure to go back and look at it.

------------------
"Maybe you could educate my mind"

Back
Top Bottom