Gaelic Rights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Archaic artistry adorns Adonis,
Sculpted from feminine beauty,
Imbued with masculine mysticism,
Sensuous sensibilities abound,

Yet Wilde found androgyny wanting,
Pederasty porous albeit tangible,
Served only as curvaceous contradiction,
In his world of wondrous hypocrisy,

Pleasure came with needless nuance.
Bespectacled commentary confounded,
His Gaelic rights to overt sorrow,
Matrimony beckoned and scorned his soul,

Alas have I any less of a lust for legality than he?
Innuendo still intricately wound,
Need not be sated by mere sexual preference,
Or egotism ergot arrogance spouting truth,

Yet I doubt he’ll find his peace,
Until the mirror concedes its role.

Interesting.

I assume I'd need some background to get it all, but I think I get the jist of it, and I believe I agree with it.

.......If I read it right :hmm:

As a Wilde admirer, I think the "Gaelic rights to overt sorrow" especially moving for many reasons.

And I adore alliteration in the beginning. That's what kept me reading. That whole stanza reminded me of the two pillars that stand in front of his statue in Merrion Square.

I have a tiny problem with the matrimony part being so negative, because I think he really truly did love Constance and a lot of people don't understand that....

but it's good. very good. You are obviously a great admirer of the man, and it's refreshing to see someone so affected by him as I am.

I forgot about this thread.

I did some research on wikipedia, and found out more about Wilde.

Interesting man.
The poem makes a little more sense now :up:

^
Cheers Jesse.

Fille Friday said:
As a Wilde admirer, I think the "Gaelic rights to overt sorrow" especially moving for many reasons.

And I adore alliteration in the beginning. That's what kept me reading. That whole stanza reminded me of the two pillars that stand in front of his statue in Merrion Square.

I have a tiny problem with the matrimony part being so negative, because I think he really truly did love Constance and a lot of people don't understand that....

but it's good. very good. You are obviously a great admirer of the man, and it's refreshing to see someone so affected by him as I am.

I've had a near obsessive fascination with Wilde ever since I picked up a copy of "Dorian Gray" that had been lying about my house for years.

I have to say that I appreciate this post of yours greatly and I agree with you that Wilde loved Constance, but in his time society could not accept him for who he was. Even today we like to expound on the most trivial aspects of ones person and ignore what makes us all complete and functioning individuals.

Again I’d just like to say that I’m thankful that you took such a keen interest in this piece of work.

I read Dorian Gray when I was 11. I know the fascination and near obsession one can have with this man. I have it, too :wink:

I went on my Oscar Wilde pilgrimage last year, actually: his house on Tite Street, Dublin on his 150 birthday where I met Merlin Holland, his grandson, and his grave at Pere Lachaise. A very emotional experience.

Back
Top Bottom