Fallible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Fallible

honey kiss, sugar trips
I wish I were blind
to the grace you offer
my own wish dying in the hands I see

I push demons of my own creation
into your convictions
dripping with saccharine
so lovely and cold
I play the wimpering goddess act
over and out
on you, waiting in the wings
testing the captive audience
hiding when the play is over

finding new things
that work, each time
I present myself and
discover
you're still there
patient, willing, unrelenting force

should surrender be an option?

You know how you read something and you feel something or remember something or picture it in your head. You make it your own in a way. Mold it to your understanding or your interpretation. I can't do that with this. I don't understand it. It was like I was struggling with it. I identify with everything I read in my own way and I can not do that with this. I am NOT saying I think it is bad. I like it, but I can not connect with it. I like the first line the most.

I am just and odd duck
a queer fish
swimming in my sea of confusion.

I wonder if it's because we think alike or what, but I can always relate to your poems, in the same way I can relate to Sheryl's songs, as a woman. You know what I mean? I so love reading a poem that as I go i'm like.. :wink: yeahh I'm liking this, and how you don't want it to end!

I'll go through step by step if you don't mind.

honey kiss, sugar trips
I wish I were blind
to the grace you offer

I liked it from the "sugar trips" part- then the second line comes in and suddenly I'm like- uh oh, why do you want to be blind from someone who offers the sugar trips.. (also i'm a huge fan of slick rhyming- kiss/trip :up: ) I like the anominity of the "hands," so you don't know exactly who is killing her wishes.

I push demons of my own creation
into your convictions
dripping with saccharine
so lovely and cold
I play the wimpering goddess act
over and out
on you, waiting in the wings
testing the captive audience
hiding when the play is over

i just really relate to this. Testing someone to see how they will respond, playing an act you know it's not you but it's really a test.. Awesome "saccharine" - the fake, alternative to the sugar mentioned earlier. i like the sense she's stirring up trouble and then hiding in the wings, waiting to see what happens.

finding new things
that work, each time
I present myself and
discover
you're still there
patient, willing, unrelenting force

:yes: very self-incriminating as we see the narrator repeating these acts and the receiver just calming waiting.. and it comes down to the question, do you keep on pushing/testing and eventually 'let the monster eat you' or do you acknowledge it's an act and...

should surrender be an option?

surrender..

The last bit reminds me of U2 (hehe always relates!) in how with AB and Fly they changed their image, pushed their fans, the band & the musical world as far as they could, exposed and embraced ironies & contradictions.. and at the end of Pop, they realize.. if they keey going, they will eventuallly become that "goddess in the wings" if you will, become the people they really are not. So they let they go and allow themselves to change.

Sorry if this makes no sense. I just really related to the poem! thanks April!

It makes sense. That is like what I am talking about. There are some peoples writings that I "mesh" well with also.

ghetofabu said:
It makes sense. That is like what I am talking about. There are some peoples writings that I "mesh" well with also.

exactly. it was weird- I didn't even read anyone's response until after I posted mine. I like how two people's interpretations, feelings about a piece of literature/poetry can vary so greatly. This is why I love group discussions on lit. :D

I read it that the narrator is feeling guilty and torn about her seductive nature, while recognizing what she wants but still keeping it just out of reach, being somewhat self-destructive, at least in the matters of love, perhaps?

it's like the flip side of "so cruel" to me, that's how I read it, from the perspective of the subject in that song

the men who love you,
you hate the most/

her lips say one thing,
her movements something else...

I wish I were blind
to the grace you offer

her skin is pale like God's only dove...

she makes you watch her, from above...

I play the wimpering goddess act...

you need her like a drug

surrender... ?

Last edited:
I dunno, I kinda saw it as someone who is trying hard to be something she is not, or at least to try be worthy of someone's respect while meanwhile someone who already loves her is waiting patiently....

that's prolly totally off, just bringing my own personal view to it. I like it, April.

Damn, I always loved those lyrics. I wish I could listen to it but someone stole my CD and I have not gotten a new one. Lazy am I. I hope the person who stole it gets a nasty rash. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom