Ahhhh...King Lear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
We're reading it in my lit class. Anybody else read this and understand this? I have a question for you...
What's going on in Act I?

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+Hilarryous. Oh, it will catch on+

aH YES...King Lear, my favourite Shakespeare play.

As far as I remember, the King decides to give up his kingdom. Basically, he think's he's getting too old, and decides to retire and divide up his propety before he dies (even though he's ages away from death). Just for fun he decides to tease his daughters and asks them to express in words how much they love him. Goneril and Regan make up some BS about how they love him more than the sky, how they'd give up everything for him. Cordelia, his last and favouite daughter states that (parphrase) she loves him because he's her father, no more no less. King Lear is outraged at this. He gives Cordelia another chance to prove her love for him. She states, again, that she loves him more than words can say--which is precisely why she cannot say anything!
Lear is too blinded by his hurt (his favourite daughter not expressing her love) and thus, decides to give Cordelia's share of the land to Regan and Goneril, and exprell Cordelia from the kingdom. Kent sticks up for Cordelia--he too is expelled.

There's a basic subplot w/ Edmund, Edgar, and Gloucester. Edmund returns from, well, I can't remember. Anyway, he's angry b/c he's the 'bastard' son of Gloucester, and really, gets no credit for anything, no love from his father (so he thinks). He lies to Gloucester, saying that he has overheard a plan that Edgar (Gloucester's real (and good) son) wants to kill him. Gloucester becomes incredibly upset. Meanwhile, Edmund tells Edgar that Gloucester is angry and...I may be moving into act II. In fact, this whole subplot may be act II. Ah well.

Lear's my fav play. It gets better and better the more you understand it. Ask if you need more help.

Soooo...how was there a manipulation of nature in this play? Yea, and how did that create irony? Yea, and how did it create meaning overall?
wink.gif

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Back
Top Bottom