After...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
After three days, the shadows have come back
Trailing impact white across the sky.
The chasing light is gone, and in its place
The shadows come and go above my head.

They were the light once. They were angel-high,
Entranced with dancing on the breath of God
Till fire drew scars across their metal wings
And they became their death, and light took them.

All changed, now. Sky and structure--all have changed.
Our eyes see through a mist that will not lift.
Smoke rises, blanketing the city's glow
Beneath the untouched sequences of stars.

--------
For everyone suffering because of what happened on Tuesday...

I feel bad, I'm just sitting here writing poetry...

Originally posted by scatteroflight:

I feel bad, I'm just sitting here writing poetry...

I know how you feel. We all deal with tragedy differently, but I think eloquent poems like this can also help others deal with what they're feeling by offering a different perspective.

Beneath the untouched sequences of stars.

Very true, how Nature remains inddifferent to human suffering. Tides still turn and the seagulls still fly by without a care.

foray

send it to someone, scattero. send it to a head of a company in that building. I know of one man who lost 700 of his 1000 employees and he wasn't there only because it was his kid's first day in kindergarten. the remaining people have voted to restart the company to take care of the families of those who have been lost.

in fact maybe it would be a nice gesture if we could all try and write some sort of memorial thing and figure out who to send it to. anything to boost morale right now is needed for those people

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

When I wrote this poem I was thinking about the fact that events like those of Sept. 11 can change the way we look at things--literally. In the days after, and still now, I looked at tall buildings (and my town doesn't exactly have TALL buildings!) and saw planes sailing into them. I started to see planes again after a couple of days and I found myself cringing under them. The "light" is, I guess, progress, or science, or whatever label you want to use. Technology. Planes, skyscrapers, explosives. All the trappings of civilization that become two-edged swords when we humans decide to hurt each other.

When I started reading this forum in January I did not think that the best thing I would get out of it would be a poetry forum. I came here for U2 but I've read and posted poetry, I've expressed my views on a lot of things besides U2. I wanted to say a few things now about my views on the events of the past few weeks and what may come. It's going to involve me talking about my beliefs, and I never expected to do much of that here either, (I didn't expect to post nearly as frequently as I do!!) but as others have said, the most articulate Interferencers hang out here. So maybe someone will read this.
biggrin.gif

On the night after the attacks I went to my Bible study group (I'm a Jehovah's Witness) as I usually do on Tuesday nights. We're discussing the prophetic book of Isaiah and it so happened that we were already scheduled to discuss chapter 2 verse 4: "And they will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore." It was an interesting coincidence, especially since those words are inscribed outside the United Nations building in New York--and the attacks happened more or less on the doorstep of the UN, on what was apparently supposed to be the International Day of Peace.

I do believe with all my heart that those words will eventually be true worldwide--but not by human means. At Jeremiah 10:23 it says "I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step." I think that human history and human self-government have clearly borne that out. Some governments have worked better than others, but none have really worked. World leaders are now talking about eradicating terrorism--how do you eradicate a state of mind, which is what terrorism is, when people aren't willing to change how they feel in their hearts?

So I believe that change will come about in the future under God's Kingdom by means of Jesus Christ. This is also a reason why I have to remain neutral with regard to questions such as whether or not the nations should take military action at this time. Jesus said that his followers should be "no part of the world" (John 15:19) and that their allegiance should be to the Kingdom, not to fallible human governments. I believe that God's purpose for the earth is unchanged: at Isaiah 45:18 it says that he "did not create it simply for nothing" and that he "formed it even to be inhabited." I love the earth. I don't want to leave it even for heaven. And according to the Bible, the purpose for the earth and the destiny for most of humankind, if they choose it, is to live forever on the earth in peace. In a world where differences in culture and skin colour will be something beautiful, not something to cause hatred and strife.

Should anyone actually read this, thanks for listening
smile.gif

Take care,

Clarissa

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 09-30-2001).]

thanks Clarissa, I appreciated reading that

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

Back
Top Bottom