A Christopher Columbus Essay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelazar

The Fly
I believe that Christopher Columbus is an extremely big figure in the history of America, and the world as a whole, making him a definitive hero. Men and women go against him with one major argument. They say that he enslaved many Natives and killed many as well. Yes, I do agree that it isn’t a good thing he did so much harm to the Natives. But this is a perspective of boy life in America 2006 edition. Now, slavery is considered a terrible thing to put someone in, and indeed it is. It’s one of the worst things you can do. Queen Isabella, the one who allowed Columbus to make this journey, and one of many who criticized Columbus’ decision of enslaving and killing the Natives, had her very own slaves. Hypocrisy, yes indeed. So it’s very unfair to judge Columbus from our 21st century point of view. Another reason that Columbus should be considered a legend is that he had courage that equals to other legends, like Martin Luther King Jr. I don’t know about you, but if you’re name is in the same breath as Martin Luther King, you’re considered a hero in my book. Columbus could have been easily considered a heretic, and his life could of ended many years before he sailed the blue in 1492. He stuck up with all his might for what he believed was right. He fought and fought until he received his opportunity, bugging numerous head leaders of countries for a chance. Then when he did receive his chance, given generously by Queen Isabella of Spain, he put up the sails, prayed to God heavily, and let the wind take him to his destination. Just imagine, if I said ‘Ok, Mrs. Reedy, here’s this black warp hole, that no one has been down, and no one has a clue of what’s inside it. I hope you make it back, and good luck.” You’d probably laugh (and think I’m the oddest kid for using the word warp hole. And yes, I do enjoy Star Wars movies). The courage Columbus had is really unimaginable. It makes me think that maybe I should suck it up and tell you I keep forgetting to bring in my Chapter 1 review. Finally, this man discovered America. The land of Chevy’s, the stars and stripes. America is every single kid in this room’s home. Once again, who discovered America? The one the only, Christopher Columbus did. You’re saying that Columbus should be preserved as a villain whose cons outweigh his pros? Well I got news for you boys and girls, if Columbus never made his valiant trip to America, you and I might not be writing this essay.

There were other explorers here before colombus. He landed in the Carribean region dont forget. The spanish discovered central America, Florida and the western part of the US. Vikings actually were here before the spanish. Landing in the far north east region. Some are saying now that the Chinese discovered america in 1421 according to Gavin Mensies.

Last edited:
joelazar said:
I don’t know about you, but if you’re name is in the same breath as Martin Luther King, you’re considered a hero in my book.

Just imagine, if I said ‘Ok, Mrs. Reedy, here’s this black warp hole, that no one has been down, and no one has a clue of what’s inside it. I hope you make it back, and good luck.” You’d probably laugh (and think I’m the oddest kid for using the word warp hole. And yes, I do enjoy Star Wars movies).

The courage Columbus had is really unimaginable. It makes me think that maybe I should suck it up and tell you I keep forgetting to bring in my Chapter 1 review.

Well I got news for you boys and girls, if Columbus never made his valiant trip to America, you and I might not be writing this essay.

Top notch, man. Brilliant. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom